Returning after 8 year break

Introduce yourself! (Please NOT only your Name or Clan!)
Markl
Novice

Returning after 8 year break

Post by Markl »

Hello all.
My name is Mark, i'm 36 years old and live in the Netherlands
2 days ago i installed ut again and was really surprised that there are stille people playing this game. Then i fired up a botmatch with instagib to get the feeling again, and after 2 seconds my memory came back to me and i understood why people still play this game. Fragging awesome

I played this game from the start to around 2006/2007 i think. Name in the game was/is PsychoXL en played almost every day. Then i switched to ps3 and haven't played this game since then. But now that i see that there is still some life left in this game it could be fun to pick this up again.

Got my #@:) kicked hard online yesterday tho, hope that's just rust :-)
Torax
Adept
Personal rank: Master of Coop

Re: Returning after 8 year break

Post by Torax »

Welcome back onboard, dear friend :highfive:
Unreal. Alter your reality..forever...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Welcome aboard sailor ...Did you try our tutorial thread to enhance the graphics in UT?
Tweak Your UT Graphics To The Maximum!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Welcome back to ut fragin' and welcome to the ut99 forums ;)
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Welcome back. UT will never really leave you.

Our stories are similar; I was very active until maybe 2003 when other things totally pulled me away. Came back just under a couple of years ago to find a great community and a still crazy passion for the game.

Hotel California man....
DLD-RABBIT
Average
Personal rank: *...*

Post by DLD-RABBIT »

Welcome back! UT99 is awesome!
Markl
Novice

Post by Markl »

Thanks all

Had a look at the tutorial for enhanced graphics, but need to pick up an new copy of the game to try that. My own disc is damaged because i haven't played for 8 years. The disc didn't like that and says "screw you". So i downloaded a new one from a torrent site which has enhanced graphics already and also 4 bonus packs, according to the description. This version is 436 so i should be able to play on all servers.

But if i can get better graphics with the tutorial that papercoffee suggested, then i can get a new retail copy of the game. Just need to know if the graphics are really better then. Can anyone post some screenshots so i can compare with the version i got? If there is just a small difference then i just keep playing the version i got now. Works great and looks great. Just can't update to 451 because that screws up the graphics.

EDIT-----------------by papercoffee

Torax, did you play from the begining with this name? I used to play a lot of tdm and dm with a clan called death dealers nl. Im sure i've seen your name before. Do the names Rippenoid, Biodidius, Hecker, PPaultje sound familiar? Or my name PsychoXL? That was also my gamertag for xboxlive when i played Unreal Championship.

Please avoid double posts... use the edit button
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Double-posting pirate.

:P

Download the extreme/high end textures and copy them into the folder if you are unsure, then go to the UT Tweak thread - a sticky here somewhere - and follow that. Viola! Sweet-looking UT.

some of my screenshots here: OGL, extreme/high end tex, .ini tricked out, etc...

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthre ... 26&page=21
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

Don't use torrented versions to play online. They sometimes contain bad files which reference to cheats and you get banned, innocently. Download a clean copy with exe's, chicken' version or from medor's site.
Markl
Novice

Post by Markl »

I thought this torrent was oke. I installed a anticheat mod and had no problems online. Just to be sure im now downloading the game from unrealkillers. Then i will have a try to upgrade the graphics, because it does look much better.

Thx for the links :tu:

*scanned download with virusscanner and found nothing. After installing the patch 451 i got a virus warning. I made a screenshot and attached it.
Hope this is just a misstake from the antivirus program and not an attempt to mess up my computer!

*edit again
Thanks for the link $carface. According to google win32:evo-gen is a malware trojan. I think i'll stick with the possible "infected" torrent untill my new 8 euro gamedisc arrives.
Attachments
sc1.jpg
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

451 is more meant for servers ...it has not as much fixes for clients as for server. On the contrary it will screw up your editor and you are not any longer able to map for UT.
Markl
Novice

Post by Markl »

I'll stick with 436 then. I'm not planning on running a dedicated host. Just wanted the upgraded graphics, but after reading the post on how to do that i think i just keep it like it is. Looks very difficult and i just screw things up i think.
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

Where did you get the 451 patch from? The pack from unrealkillers only contains demo + 436nodelta which are the official epic published exe's.

I suppose I should have been clearer in my initial post though. If you're confident the torrent is clean, then use it by all means. It's just, I've seen many people be possibly innocently banned on our servers - they protest it was an infected torrent download. I can't be sure whether they are cheating and therefore the ban sticks.

I was just making a preventative post :tu:
Markl
Novice

Post by Markl »

Unrealkillers also have the 451 patch on the download page. Not knowing its mostly for server fixes, i just assumed i needed that too. You didn't tell me to install it, you just told me to instal the game and patch 436, which are fine. Guess they added 451 recently and you haven't noticed it yet.

About the torrent. Thought it was save because it installed the anti cheat mod, but now im not so sure anymore. Now i think the anti cheat mod can detect corrupted files which causes me to get banned. Gamedisc is underway, so i just practice offline untill it arrives.

The problem now is that the original version doesn't support 1920x1080 and looks horrible compared to the torrent version. So i have little to no choice to do the enhancement tutorial. Just wondering if my old system can handle that.

Intel dual core 3.2 ghz, 4 gb ram and nvidea geforce 210. Its the videocard that gives me doubts.
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

Your hardware should be absolutely fine. I have a much older nVidia card, a 6800GT, and a ~2GHz CPU and UT plays at the same resolution with no problems at all