Beta Master Server

Discussions about Servers
unrealwiki-webmaster
Novice

Re: Beta Master Server

Post by unrealwiki-webmaster »

This is no longer available. The tests went good, feedback was good. Something happened which will require it to be rebooted. In the meantime since it was a 333networks subdomain\

There's no updateserver, if you used the regular add method you'll need to stop

if you used the XBrowser method the list should hopefully be redirected to the master.333networks.com which will mean no disruption

Hope to get this back again at some point on another domain. I highly doubt 333networks itself will be hosting it. Use them if you want an epic clone
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

....and now I'm interested.

So I'm thinking about this and I don't see an obvious way to flag non-human players aside from using some level of guessing. The only value that really changes and would be monitored by a server feed is a players ping. It would be trivial to code the bots to display ping spikes and real life ping performance to fool even the best guesses. Without something on the server itself this just doesn't seem feasible to me as useful.

Raising a flag and saying "I can detect fake players" isn't smart. You are literally giving them constant feedback to try to bypass your methodology. If a server had fake players you should just not list them and not say anything.

The best way to weed out fake player servers is player feedback. Once they are found to be using these mods then just delist them. It's over and done and there's no need for discussion.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
unrealwiki-webmaster
Novice

HI Jack. I loved having this and feedback and usage was high. Fake players are a scourge on these games. The detection [snip] hah spoiler oops :D. If they tried to bypass they could still be blacklisted. Then brings the argument well how do they get off the blacklist heh heh. Love the last part of your post but should probably be able to get off that blacklist if they decide to stop using

I'm sure I'll bring this back if only for the reason I like choosing servers from the list. If the list meant nothing and it was all little communities on their discords it's a different game to me
Last edited by papercoffee on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: SNIP!!
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

JackGriffin wrote:Raising a flag and saying "I can detect fake players" isn't smart. You are literally giving them constant feedback to try to bypass your methodology.
unrealwiki-webmaster wrote:hah spoiler oops :D.
Congratulations, you played yourself. The whole reason why I did not release the current MasterServer-Perl version yet, was because I was uncertain how to keep this knowledge from being provided to the people who wrote/write fakeplayer mods. For that exact reason, just like Jack said, I only execute the check every once in a while at random intervals, instead of every update cycle, so I can obfuscate the check.

"But.. B-B-But.. I did not say *exactly* how it was done..."

And that's the point. An engineer only needs half a word to understand the principle. By spilling this "hah spoiler oops" of yours, you told them exactly where to look and wait for us to access that method. Then they know exactly how it was done and what to do against it. Because of your little "oops", I had to immediately turn off the 333networks fakeplayer detection, so at least no more damage is done. If one of the moderators is in time to remove your little "oops" before one of the fakeplayer users/writers reads it, at least we still may have a chance on protecting the secret to fakeplayer detection.

If not, well... as I said, congratulations, you played yourself.
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Darkelarious wrote: If one of the moderators is in time to remove your little "oops" before one of the fakeplayer users/writers reads it, at least we still may have a chance on protecting the secret to fakeplayer detection.
I hope I wasn't too slow to take the important part out of UW's post.
unrealwiki-webmaster
Novice

It's the same method XBrowser uses. If 333networks were to do something about it their current model flawed and it won't happen until xmas. Their ut2004 has been slow to uptake. He has everything he needs. It's [snip], the oops part was not sayng come in and remove it. If it's some sort of secret even though he just said he'd encrypt it within the [snip] packet by camouflaging good luck with that you kind of spoiled your own post if you're not going to go on a mass editing spree. I told you it's not a secret.

I did mention Dark has kindly taken the subdomain for anyone who would like to use an epic clone. It's extremely likely my one will be up before his, might even have some ut2004 support and fake player removal. There's no point relying solely on other servers for new ones is something I realized during ut2004. GL Darkie
Last edited by papercoffee on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: SNIP!!