Server Managment and the noob is at it again!

Discussions about Servers
Otto Kontroll
Novice
Personal rank: Private

Server Managment and the noob is at it again!

Post by Otto Kontroll »

Thanks to all the help from Barbie and OjitroC I have my hosted server running pretty much how I want. Still one issue with weapons placement on the HUD but nothing to worry about now. All my weapons appear and are usable etc. So that's a win

So here's the noob question: Can I manage my hosted server from home the same way I would manage an a LAN server through the UT GUI.

In other words, when my buddy and I are playing on the GTXGaming hosted server, we want to change the Stuffswapper config for the next map. In order to do that now, I have to go to GTX portal for my server, shutdown the server, change the Stuffswapper config file and then restart. Of course when you do that, the map we wanted to play needs to be re-voted in with MapVote.

OR: is there a way to replace UT weapons with custom weapons without using Stuffswapper. Lets say I want to replace the chaingun with the Bunny Bomber (love that weapon 8). What ini and where would I do that so that applies to the server.

I am hoping there is a better way. Does this NexGen thing do that? And after reading the readme file and the first, second and last pages of that post, I am so lost on how to install much less use it. I guess I am looking for something that does the same as "BFRemote Manger" for "BattleField 1942" (for those that are familiar with that game)

I am sorry for these very basic questions, but I have played a lot of UT back in the day but I never ran a public server nor done a lot of programing etc for this game.

Thank You,

OttO
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Server Managment and the noob is at it again!

Post by OjitroC »

Otto Kontroll wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:29 pm OR: is there a way to replace UT weapons with custom weapons without using Stuffswapper. Lets say I want to replace the chaingun with the Bunny Bomber (love that weapon 8). What ini and where would I do that so that applies to the server.
I did wonder about using StuffSwapper on-line and how one would change configs.

AFAIK the only ways to replace UT weapons with custom weapons are (a) by using a mutator or (b) by editing the map.

If you always want to replace the same UT weapon with the same custom weapon then you could see if someone is willing to write a simple replacement mutator for you.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Maybe the SUMMON command is an option: log in as admin and add an actor (your Bunny thing for example) with the command summon Packagename.Itemname.
(Hint: in order not to write your login password in chat accidentally put the command into a text file in the SYSTEM directory and execute that text file with exec textfilename.
Example:
file "AdminLogin" wrote:

Code: Select all

adminlogin SECRET_PASSWORD
(maybe more commands here)
"If Origin not in center it be not in center." --Buggie
Otto Kontroll
Novice
Personal rank: Private

Post by Otto Kontroll »

With ALL due respect Barbie, you really are talking way over my head.

When you say log in as the Admin, I not sure what you mean. I am (as far as I know) I am the admin whenever I, a) start a LAN server at home or, b) am playing on my online server from home. Of course when I go to the hosting site to monitor/admin my server, I should be. by default the admin and can control how the server runs the game. Maybe my problem is that I just don't know how to 'run' or make changes to the server from home while I am playing on my own server? IDK

Secondary, you saying that I should use a console command to execute that "summon" command? Which console, the tilde key or the tab key (defaults) ?

I swear, this is all so confusing. But I am sure it's my problem in that everything was a bit easier back in the early 2000's and now with all the potential cyber attacks, you just can't make a local server and let your buddies join in. It just opens you up for attacks.

However, I'm not concerned. As a disabled dude, I have a lot of time to just get my server to work the way I want it to. So thanks for the help and as soon as I am pleased with the game play, I will let others on.

oTTo
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Otto Kontroll wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:24 pm When you say log in as the Admin, I not sure what you mean. I am (as far as I know) I am the admin whenever I, a) start a LAN server at home or, b) am playing on my online server from home.
When you are playing a map, open the console (the black window that can be opened by the (default) tilde key) and type any of these console commands. If you are in networked games, some commands only work if you are the "Server Administrator". You become to that by the command adminlogin PASSWORD. See also Server Admin Commands.
you just can't make a local server and let your buddies join in. It just opens you up for attacks.
Not really if you open only the used ports (default 7777-7778 ) in the firewall.
"If Origin not in center it be not in center." --Buggie