Nexgen Server Controller

Discussions about Servers
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Nexgen Server Controller

Post by Barbie »

I've listed some Nexgen commands (see lower half of page).
"If Origin not in center it be not in center." --Buggie
Otto Kontroll
Average
Personal rank: Private

Post by Otto Kontroll »

Well the Noob is at it again! I am ROTFLMAO at myself. I completely forgot that there is the "chat" option. I have been trying to do a lot of these commands in the wrong way. I been using the 'default' tilde and tab keys to issue commands. I totally forgot about (default) 'Y' key for the "chat" option.
I can now access the Nexgen GUI resulting in a happier Otto!

Thanks Snowguy, it was you that opened up my memory.

oTTo
Otto Kontroll
Average

Post by Otto Kontroll »

I have a weird thing going on with Nexgen which has caused me to remove it from my hosted server.

A bit of back story, I used to play UT a lot when it came out, but with life changes and other games later, I lost my UT files. I have recently found it and installed it, upgraded it to latest, and got it working. I then made a copy of my UT folder and gave it to my buddy. He copied it to his PC and changed the player name etc.
I then rented a hosted server for us (and others) to play on. I installed Nexgen and everything seemed to work when I played. But when both of us tried to play, only one of us could. The odd man out gets a message that says someone else is already logged on as you which results in only one of us being able to join/play on the server. The message actually says that someone is using a copy of your 'installed' version.

Why doesn't NexGen use IP's as a way to differentiate between users? And is there somewhere in an .ini file that would allow this?

I like the general idea of this mutator/mod but it sometimes feel likes it more work then it's worth.

oTTo
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Otto Kontroll wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:41 pm I then made a copy of my UT folder and gave it to my buddy. He copied it to his PC and changed the player name etc.
Bad idea - you should have removed nearly all INI files to get a clean configuration from the scratch for him.

Every net client has an unique Nexgen ID in his USER.INI:

Code: Select all

[NexgenCC.GeneralConfig]
Settings[0]=(Name="ClientKey",Value="ABCDE-GHIJ-KLMN-...")
Settings[1]=(Name="ClientID",Value="892379372492AF876...")
Also in server's Nexgen.ini is an entry "serverKey" and some more cryptic entries. If I were you, I'd move that file away and start from plain vanilla nexgen.
Otto Kontroll wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:41 pm Why doesn't NexGen use IP's as a way to differentiate between users?
What if multiple users share one public IP on a LAN party? What if a user's IP address changes? What if a user only have IPv6?
Otto Kontroll wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:41 pmAnd is there somewhere in an .ini file that would allow this?
No.
"If Origin not in center it be not in center." --Buggie
Otto Kontroll
Average

Post by Otto Kontroll »

Thanks Barbie.

Yeah, in the back of my mind I kind of figured that might be the issue. I think I will have him delete his copy. Download and install the latest version and then add back in all the added maps, textures, and other custom files except various .ini files.

And a very good point about the LAN party's.

oTTo