Received invalid file request

Discussions about Servers
Barbie
Godlike

Received invalid file request

Post by Barbie »

I've learnt from the server's log files that the entry "Received invalid file request" is issued, if the redirect server refuses to send a file. In the log file of the redirect server the error 404 (not found) is issued then. But recently I noticed some "Received invalid file request" without an 404 error on the redirect server - what could that be?
(The UT server is configured with AllowDownloads=False in section [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver].)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Re: Received invalid file request

Post by MrLoathsome »

I just did a quick search of some log files on both a windows 436 server and a linux 440 server.
Can't find the string 'request' in either of them. Are you perhaps running 451 on your server?

Have had a similar annoyance since I switched my servers from linux 440 to windows 436.

Twice last week I have players telling me they are getting a "refused to send" message on a file
that IS on the redirect. (Nothing in the server logs at all...)
But there is a case difference in the files.
i.e. Marine.uax.uz is on the redirect. They get the message "Refused to send marine".

In both cases I find out they are using UTPG 451 as their client.
(One on win7, other on Linux trying to run a 451 client under Wine...... :ironic: :ironic2: :what: )

Maybe just a coincidence, but it seems odd.
blarg
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Are you perhaps running 451 on your server?
Yes, on a Linux box.
Twice last week I have players telling me they are getting a "refused to send" message on a file
that IS on the redirect. (Nothing in the server logs at all...)
I guess you mean the UT server log here, not the redirect server log. Strange, I always get a "Received invalid file request" in the UT log if a redirect file cannot be accessed. If I see this message in the UT log, I usually have an error 404 (not found) in the redir's server log (as mentioned in first post).
But there is a case difference in the files.
i.e. Marine.uax.uz is on the redirect. They get the message "Refused to send marine".
That's a reason why I keep an eye on this message; usually it's an indicator for missing redirect files, often caused by different case in file names. I've solved all these case differences by creating soft links on the (linux) redirect server:[quote="find -type l -exec ls -l "{}" ";"]
Spoiler
Ambancient.uax.uz -> AmbAncient.uax.uz
Ambmodern.uax.uz -> AmbModern.uax.uz
Amboutside.uax.uz -> AmbOutside.uax.uz
Ancient1.utx.uz -> Ancient.utx.uz
Area51Bunker_Music.umx.uz -> UnWorld2.umx.uz
BBoyLikePac.u.uz -> BBoyLikePak.u.uz
BBoyShare.u.uz -> BBoyShars.u.uz
Blufffx.utx.uz -> BluffFX.utx.uz
BoostV2.umx.uz -> Zan_oc.umx.uz
Botpack.u.uz -> BotPack.u.uz
BPak.u.uz -> bpak.u.uz
BPSE.u.uz -> bpse.u.uz
ChaosSounds2.uax.uz -> chaossounds2.uax.uz
Chaossounds2.uax.uz -> chaossounds2.uax.uz
chizraefx.utx.uz -> ChizraEFX.utx.uz
CommandoSkins.utx.uz -> commandoskins.utx.uz
crypt2.utx.uz -> Crypt2.utx.uz
Doorsanc.uax.uz -> DoorsAnc.uax.uz
Doorsmod.uax.uz -> DoorsMod.uax.uz
Dusk.utx.uz -> dusk.utx.uz
EpicCustomModels.u.uz -> epiccustommodels.u.uz
eversmoke.umx.uz -> EverSmoke.umx.uz
GENEARTH.utx.uz -> GenEarth.utx.uz
genfluid.utx.uz -> GenFluid.utx.uz
GennFX.utx.uz -> GenFX.utx.uz
Jurassic.u.uz -> jurassic.u.uz
liquids.utx.uz -> Liquids.utx.uz
logo.utx.uz -> Logo.utx.uz
marvinSkins.utx.uz -> marvinskins.utx.uz
Monsterhunt.u.uz -> MonsterHunt.u.uz
monsterhunt.u.uz -> MonsterHunt.u.uz
Newmca9.umx.uz -> newmca9.umx.uz
Reaper.u.uz -> reaper.u.uz
Sabbskins.utx.uz -> SabbSkins.utx.uz
shaneDAY.utx.uz -> ShaneDay.utx.uz
shanesky.utx.uz -> ShaneSky.utx.uz
SKYBox.utx.uz -> SkyBox.utx.uz
Skybox.utx.uz -> SkyBox.utx.uz
skybox.utx.uz -> SkyBox.utx.uz
Skycity.utx.uz -> SkyCity.utx.uz
strider.umx.uz -> Strider.umx.uz
THUNDERBOLTDecoEgypt2.u.uz -> DragonDecoEgypt.u.uz
Tree_PACK1.u.uz -> TreePack1.u.uz
TSkMSkins.utx.uz -> tskmskins.utx.uz
UTMHpack.u.uz -> MHmonsters.u.uz
WarLord.umx.uz -> WarlordMusic.umx.uz
WarNukingGroundfix.u.uz -> WarNukingGround.u.uz
xfx.utx.uz -> XFX.utx.uz
[/quote]Furthermore I have a Windows client UT test installation (GOTY) in a virtual machine that I use to connect to the server and verify that all redirected files are send.
In both cases I find out they are using UTPG 451 as their client.
Maybe I should set up such an installation and try to connect to my server.
other on Linux trying to run a 451 client under Wine
You're joking :lol2: But with software rendering this could really work.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

Interesting.

Sadly for me, my redirect is located far, far away. I only have FTP access to the files, but no access to
configure the server itself.
ATM I have a handful of files on the redirect twice, with just the case of 1 or 2 letters different.
With over 1300 files on the redirect, that just ain't gonna work, and is unacceptable anyway.

I am at a loss as to what to do about it. :noidea
blarg
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I found out now why "Received invalid file request" was issued: on the redirect server the requested file exists, but with a wrong version. So no error is logged at the redirect server.
Because the UT server it configured to send nothing, that message is issued then in the UT server log file.
I detected this by connecting with a fresh installed client.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

That's why such a server is a candidate to run empty as long as player have NONE source to get files - like I said before.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

"other on Linux trying to run a 451 client under Wine"

You're joking :lol2: But with software rendering this could really work.

UT99 4.51 Windows client (and version 4.36 too) with Bonus Packs and S3TC High Resolution Textures is running under Linux Wine (here version 1.7.33) with OpenGL fine and smooth.

The one and only problem was that UT not starts every first time straightaway because of too many cores in cpu. So sometimes (ONLY sometimes!) more than one start attempt was needed. I solved the startproblem with the taskset commando, so you can start wine by using only one core. For example: With "WINEDEBUG=-all taskset -c 0 wine [...]" only the first core is used.
When the game menu is reached all runs perfectly.

On MrLoathsomes Ecoop/AKcoop server - after he converted from linux to windows - I have an issue with skins (loss of character animations) and the screen is frozen sometimes. I found out with a new UT 4.36 installation that the S3TC Textures causes these problems, not the 4.51 update.
For the skins there is a S3TC fix out (http://ut-files.com/index.php?dir=Patch ... Player.zip) but it does not work on my UT 4.36 installation (problems exist after installing the fix). Also it makes no difference of using OpenGL or Direct3D.
I think this is not a linux wine problem, it should be the same on native windows machines.
Last edited by Aldebaran on Thu May 19, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

We don't have to underestimate Wine. I was playing once from a Wine session in Ubuntu so IT WORKS, not to mention 2 win UT servers fired on Linux: One by me and other from a rental company, last one running even TickFix2 and XC_Engine with no issues, so... quit bitching at Wine.

Ps: I'm not a Linux User so I don't even have a reach experience but I could start game client and a server using Wine.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

I don't think the problem is Wine. (Few years back I had a Win/Linux dualboot machine, and wine would actually get better framerates than
windows on the same hardware....)

Also very sure it is not a ST3C texture issue. I figured out long long ago that as long as you don't have those ST3C
textures on the server, there will be no "skating player" issues. And that issue would happen on all clients, Win and Linux.
I could turn that on and off at will if I wanted.

Since the only 2 clients that have reported this issue since I switched the servers over have been running UTPG 4.51 clients
with one being on Win the other Linux, I am blaming 451 client install at this point.
(I had been under the impression for years now that 440 and 451 should only be used on servers, and 436 was best client.....)

Still no idea what to do about it. Perhaps you could ditch your 451 client and try 436 under the same conditions, and see if the issue persists.
blarg
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Clients and modders still don't realize that they need 2 copies: one for modding/mapping, one for playing. Reasons (yes, many reasons)
- preventing mismatches;
- S3TC experience - never for being used in mapping so client is one, modder/mapper is other one - or switching folders until you lose the track about game state;
- preventing some mod conflicts in clean client;
- 451 used for not many reasons DOESN'T help in Editing maps.
Client clean should receive stuff sent by server in case of a firewalled redirect, AllowDownloads=False won't help nobody.
Yes, due to crashes, UTPG were trying to solve these - but main goal for those updates = SERVERS. Server runs authoritative things and bugs makes it to crash often than client. No worries, some bugs were fixed and others have been brought back - programming trivia (replacing bugs with other ones).
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

Thanks for that list sector.

Checked, and a couple of the servers DID have ST3C versions of a few of the textures. Can only guess they were included with
mod or map updates in the past and overwrote the existing default files.

Also checked and 2 of the 6 servers had AllowDownloads=False.

Now they are all set with AllowDownloads=True and I copied all the textures from UT99 GOTY CD1 and overwrote the same textures
on all the servers.

Not sure if any of this will change the invalid file request or refused to send issues, but should fix some of the other problems
mentioned above.

We shall see.
blarg
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

MrLoathsome wrote:Perhaps you could ditch your 451 client and try 436 under the same conditions, and see if the issue persists.
As I wrote already I tested your server with a clean UT 4.36 Installation and the issues occured AFTER installing the S3TC Textures and BEFORE installing the 4.51 update. I think it would be interesting to know if other players have S3TC installed too.
But when only two players have that problem I described it is perhaps the time not worth to investigate this. It seems not to be that big problem. In my case I have the chance to set up a second wine installation/prefix without the S3TC textures and can play then on your server :-)
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Make sure you don't have the placeholder files from the zipped server download too. Those can cause this issue. Whenever I set up a server I took a fresh 436 installation and copied everything aside from the system folder into the server and overwrote the existing files. This will replace the stupid placeholder files with the proper versions. It's also why it's a good reason to never overwrite server files when you upload maps unless you know EXACTLY which file you are replacing and why. Overwriting a file almost always means means you are breaking at least one existing map on the server.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Aldebaran when you say Hi-res S3TC, do you mean the ones from CD2 ?
If so then stop using them on a server and get proper server textures.
http://www.uttexture.com/UT/Website/Art ... ckages.htm
There are also blank sever textures available that use less resources, and allow a smoother game.

The old textures on CD2 should be avoided even for players. Use only as a last resort for those that cannot upgrade to DX8 or 9.

If you get the new texture packs from UTTextures, you will notice that even these fixed bigger texture packs all have the same warning
http://www.uttexture.com/UT/Website/Dow ... xtures.htm
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Dr.Flay wrote:Aldebaran when you say Hi-res S3TC, do you mean the ones from CD2 ?
No, I never used textures from GOTY CD2. Afaik I downloaded them from here: http://www.oldunreal.com/textures.html
Now I downloaded them from your given internet link too and compared the file sizes: they are identically. So I think I have used the right textures.