Received invalid file request

Discussions about Servers
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Re: Received invalid file request

Post by MrLoathsome »

Aldebaran wrote:
Dr.Flay wrote:Aldebaran when you say Hi-res S3TC, do you mean the ones from CD2 ?
No, I never used textures from GOTY CD2. Afaik I downloaded them from here: http://www.oldunreal.com/textures.html
Now I downloaded them from your given internet link too and compared the file sizes: they are identically. So I think I have used the right textures.
Well try it again now that I made a few adjustments. With either 451 or 436 and let us know what happens. Pretty sure the texture issue is gone now.
blarg
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Well done! Skins are working now and screen is not frozen anymore...
But while playing after one level switch the message come again that a map ("NP04Hyperion") can't be downloaded: "Downloading package [...] failed: Server refused to send [...]". So I could not connect any longer.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

I will have to check the status of that specific file re: case of the file on the server, case of the file on the redirect, and if there are any
of those "case insensitive" searches for that file in the server log when that map loaded up.
Will also check to see if there is any sign of a "Received invalid file request" message in the server logs.

Not sure if I ever recall seeing that specific message, but I know for sure the server logs created by 440 and 436 have a number
of differences. Perhaps that message is specific to 451, and shows up there when this file case horror on the redirect occurs.

Apparently I had that map already on my client, and had no issues on map change. I saw you make a few attempts to connect without showing up.
After a bit I map-voted to Legacy-1 map, and had to download several files to connect. Had no issue at all.
The redirect is working in most cases. It also seems setting the AllowDownloads=True does not solve the problem.
I was hoping it would just send you the file direct from the server when this case mismatch crap was going on, but it seems not.
That will only help if the file is not on the redirect at all I suspect.
blarg
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Lo this may be a problem with the map's 'PKG_AllowDownload' package flag. Have you ever checked your maps to see if any are set with this? I did my maps and was surprised to find a few.

Here's a discussion about the flags I had with Anth: http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showt ... hp?t=30936
So long, and thanks for all the fish
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

That is something I have never checked Jack.

I am almost afraid to look. There are over 1300+ files on this redirect. Checking all of those would be a chore.....
blarg
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

MrLoathsome wrote:Checking all of those [1300+] would be a chore.....
Indeed this should be done by a program. Is there a need for such?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

You can do this very easily, there's already a batch script for it. I'll see if I can find it. Meanwhile, more on this:
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 1442789277

EDIT: Finally found the damn thing. You will be interested I promise...
Udl.zip
(29.1 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

OK Jack. Grabbed that thing and will have to take a closer look at those links regarding the PKG_AllowDownload flag.

1st question. Will adjusting this flag cause mismatches with the current files on client machines? Will I have to adjust this flag, then re-compress every file and replace
them on both the redirect and the servers with the adjusted versions?

Since I have 1 re-direct being shared by 3 servers, I had considered as my next option to try and wipe out the case mismatch crap to just download the
entire re-direct. uncompress it all and overwrite all the files on the servers. But I have hesitated because I am not very sure that will solve the problem.
It would be the time to also check or modify that PKG_AllowDownload flag, as long as that wasn't going to cause another issue......
blarg
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Hmmmmm... I am not sure that the PKG_AllowDownload flag thing is your problem, because why should the author of a single player mappack allow several files to be downloaded and only a few (or one) not. When he is serious about it he has set the not-download flag in all unreal maps and that is not the case here. And why the flag is not evaluated under a linux server. You have this problem since you use windows as a basis? Definitely I would make a backup before altering the server files as well as your redirect files.

When you want you can test the PKG_AllowDownload flag with the NP04Hyperion map. Alter it, put it to your server and the compressed file to redirect, then write me a PM and I will try do download it from your server once more. Then we will see if it works...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Aldebaran wrote:Hmmmmm... I am not sure that the PKG_AllowDownload flag thing is your problem, because why should the author of a single player mappack allow several files to be downloaded and only a few (or one) not
Because of their dumbness + copyleft craps which nobody cares now days... I could see even some toys to remove downloads in order to "prevent lags" only a moron will restrict player to join in servers by deliberating do a stupid file hacking. Yes, community has been helped a lot with useless stuff based on Dial-Up times which had a shorter life than expected...
And YES that flag IS A problem. Last time I have operated a scan through files from some Coop server and I removed all trash out because that isolated stuff was for Unreal not UT not to mention how much trash is there (similar to MH) + "Net Codes" making me to never run that thing.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Aldebaran wrote:When you want you can test the PKG_AllowDownload flag with the NP04Hyperion map.
This is what UTPT.exe says (only flag PKG_AllownDownload is set):
MH-NP04Hyperion-PackageFlags.jpg
Aldebaran wrote:the message come again that a map ("NP04Hyperion") can't be downloaded: "Downloading package [...] failed: Server refused to send [...]"
You left out the most important part: what file cannot be downloaded? ;o) I also have that map [url=unreal://81.169.240.101:7777]on my server[/url] (or are you talking about Unreal 227?)
FYI here a lost of non stock dependency files of NP04Hyperion:
Spoiler
UT2k4-Mapinfo wrote:DavidMGras.utx
ONPFootsteps.uax
NPStroggS3.utx
olextras.u
oldskool.u
olweapons.u
olroot.u
DavidMSheet.u
DavidMsky.utx
NpHyp.utx
NBSpecialsUT.u
NPHypErioN.uax
NBSpot.u
WarGate.umx
Spire.umx
MrLoathsome wrote:1st question. Will adjusting this flag cause mismatches with the current files on client machines? Will I have to adjust this flag, then re-compress every file and replace them on both the redirect and the servers with the adjusted versions?
Have a look at the embedded readme file in that above Udl.zip. I have a guess only (set in italic): every time a package is (re-)build a world wide unique GUID (see above screenshot for example) is created. The engine identifies packages by this GUID - if further comparisons like file size or checksums are done is out of my knowledge. If you modify only that PKG flag on your UT servers package, the size and GUID stays the same, and if the GUID is the only identification attribute then a file mismatch will not occur. Compressed files are not concerned by this.
Corrections are welcome.

<EDIT>
MrLoathsome wrote:Sadly for me, my redirect is located far, far away. I only have FTP access to the files, but no access to configure the server itself.
An idea has just come to my mind: maybe it is possible to set up a web server that just redirects to the "real" file server. Then you have access to the web server's log files.
</EDIT>
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Barbie wrote:You left out the most important part: what file cannot be downloaded?
It is not the MH map, i mean "NP04Hyperion.unr" from the singleplayer mappack "Operation Na Pali" (http://unrealarchives.com/operation-na-pali/). I think this map has MrLoathsome installed on his coop server.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

This is just a reply to Lo, I'm not involved in the discussion on the map proper.

Changing the AllowDownload flag using Choco theoretically isn't supposed to alter the compiled package since you are just changing a single byte value with no corresponding change in size. It's been my experience that you get version mismatch a good number of the times you have to do this. I reset the flags if they were wrong then recompressed the maps and uploaded them to my redirect. IIRC it was about 20 or so of the normal Unreal coop maps that I ended up ever having to do this to. There was nothing in UT that I think I ever had to do this with.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

Nope and nope.

Most of these files have been on the redirect for 8-10 years or even longer.

And now I suddenly need to download and extract them all to check some flag that
was never an issue before? This is not gonna happen.

I been trying to get some coding projects done for the last 6 months, and every time I turn
around one of the goddamn servers is having some goddamn issue that wastes hours or days
of my time.

I think the answer for files not downloading is gonna be: "Go find the goddamn file somewhere else."
blarg
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Pretty sure you just gave me an erection. Preach, son!