Number of Actor instances indicated by name suffix

Discussions about Servers
Barbie
Godlike

Number of Actor instances indicated by name suffix

Post by Barbie »

Recently I noticed that line in UT server's log:
ucc.init.log wrote:Pupae MH-DKDCrater+SBFix1.Pupae6830 (Function UnrealShare.ScriptedPawn.Patroling.TakeDamage:0038) Accessed None
Does it mean that there have been 6829 pupaes before that? :omfg: That map has only 5 pupaes set by mapper and a CreatureFactory with capacity=6.

So my guess is that every spawned Actor occupies a slot in the name table and this table is taken over to the next map, so that it indicates that there have been 6829 pupaes during last start up of server?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: Number of Actor instances indicated by name suffix

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Barbie wrote:Recently I noticed that line in UT server's log:
ucc.init.log wrote:Pupae MH-DKDCrater+SBFix1.Pupae6830 (Function UnrealShare.ScriptedPawn.Patroling.TakeDamage:0038) Accessed None
Does it mean that there have been 6829 pupaes before that? :omfg: That map has only 5 pupaes set by mapper and a CreatureFactory with capacity=6.

So my guess is that every spawned Actor occupies a slot in the name table and this table is taken over to the next map, so that it indicates that there have been 6829 pupaes during last start up of server?
I think the counter travels with the server, you can see it performing the command "EditActor name=PlayerPawn0", PlayerPawn0 doesn't exist anymore after the first travel. (I hope I'm not wrong lol)
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

The counter keeps incrementing during the entire lifetime of the engine process. Yes, this does take up space in the name table, but IIRC names are also garbage-collected between levels. Also, this kind of number creep was a reason Unreal Engine 2 no longer generates numbered names for runtime-spawned actors anymore by default. Unreal Engine 3 returned to numbering runtime-spawned actors, but performs concurrent garbage collection every few seconds to minutes.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Thanks for clarification. :tu:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Have you tried XC_Engine?

BTW if it's a linux server you should have this option on false: bUseNewRelevancy ("admin togglerelevancy" to disable it if you're connected)
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Higor, they don't read XC thread, now that's confirmed... Is about PUPAES spawned with identifiers incremented for each of them. This value seems to not did not get a reset during travel for whatever reason - Higor was speaking about recycling, garbage collectors, speed-up engine processes, the mostly Walls are listening...

Without using XCGE you can start some map DM, CTF, whatever. After end, let it restart and play over and over (set time limit 1). Look for DMMutator how many instances have been created, yes it's incremental proving that after ending game Not so much memory it's released, we still can figure how many times we have been playing that Level. DMMutator12 and so on...
Yes, some of these issues are solved using XCGE, so we have already an answer - Higor is still waiting feedback toward XCGE which is not really coming and less people care about a problem which is being solved.