Logins without Joins

Discussions about Servers
Barbie
Godlike

Logins without Joins

Post by Barbie »

In my UT server logs are many entries that show a login, but no join afterwards. I've verified that there is no 404 error in redirect servers log file and connecting with a cache-cleaned GOTY client works without any problems.
Of course the not-joining-client can just have cancelled downloading respective joining, but I'm afraid there are other, technical reasons. Is it possible to get to know if there is a file mismatch on client side? Or can the connection process be set more verbose on server side?
snippet of log file
First and last login was successful:

Code: Select all

Level server received: LOGIN RESPONSE=253482624 URL=Index.unr?Name=eeeeeeeeeeeeeeetam?Class=BotPack.TMale2?team=1?skin=SoldierSkins.sldr?Face=SoldierSkins.Brock?Voice=BotPack.VoiceMaleOne?OverrideClass=?Checksum=NoChecksum

Join succeeded: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeetam

Level server received: LOGIN RESPONSE=1929105252 URL=Index.unr?Name=O+O?Class=BotPack.TMale1?team=1?skin=CommandoSkins.cmdo?Face=CommandoSkins.Nickolai?Voice=BotPack.VoiceMaleOne?OverrideClass=?Checksum=06c8921a71a9dd3c2f3d2d94c236cf39

Level server received: LOGIN RESPONSE=-489563825 URL=Index.unr?Class=BotPack.TBoss?Skin=BossSkins.Boss?Face=BossSkins.Xan?Team=0?Voice=BotPack.VoiceBoss?Name=:)?Checksum=NoChecksum

Level server received: LOGIN RESPONSE=501022406 URL=Index.unr?Name=Ken?Class=BotPack.TMale2?team=0?skin=SoldierSkins.blkt?Face=SoldierSkins.Othello?OverrideClass=?Voice=MultiMesh.SkaarjVoice?Checksum=NoChecksum

Join succeeded: Ken
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Higor
Godlike

Re: Logins without Joins

Post by Higor »

If you have a redirect, then they're downloading files.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Exactly. I see that in my logs and on the console a lot.

Many players will connect, then bail if there are downloads, or if there are too many downloads and it is taking some time.
People are impatient.

I have done it myself on plenty of other servers. :twisted: :roll:
blarg
DLD-RABBIT
Average
Personal rank: *...*

Post by DLD-RABBIT »

Some people don't like waiting for downloads :wink: How many packages are you running :?:
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Yep, many doesn't like downloading if it going to take forever. Including slower internet users.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

DLD-RABBIT wrote:How many packages are you running
Complete download size depends on current map also; with a fresh GOTY UT installation the cache directory contains 60 MB after an initial connection. Assumed a compression rate of 30%, transfer volume may be 30-40 MB and therefore take some minutes. The redirect server should be connected fast enough (I guess 100 MBit/s; location is probably Berlin/Germany).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Another category which you forgot to mention is "uncachers" while they have trash loaded a mismatch is expected, then they are too lazy to operate file(s) and are simply quitting... just figure their names to have an image about trendy "player". Nothing is lost there, trust me.

My rules (generally for On-Line play):
1) If I download more than 8-10 minutes (no redirect/redirect switching because admin is a dumb kid or a dude on drugs) I quit, is simple, if server is managed that way then it doesn't worth any waste of time with checks. Happens when I'm forced to download a bunch of skins and manure which I don't need for game-play.
2) If download is from a very faster redirect but I have already downloaded 200-400 MB, I quit. I don't need that stuff on my drives... else I could download from Skillz 2 GB in advance or from other place, so to speak I'm interested about server configuration, game-play not about downloading stuff, goof_package, goof_skins, goof_sounds, and it restarts with others, and keeps going on and on...

Also those "names" were interesting... Some day (or some night) I'll capture such things before even to redirect them, and happily rejecting them...
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

Yes and the most comon problem is that you down load takes a long time.
In the meantime the server loads another map and then you get a connection fail.
Its a typical fault when you download to much skins and add-on and maps and mods at the same time.
And ofcourse when the downloads takes to much time you login to another server who has not so much downloads. :sleep:
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.