Bots Player Slots

Discussions about Servers
geckotdf
Novice

Bots Player Slots

Post by geckotdf »

Hi guys,

Im mounting a UT99 server for LAS - And have a question about bots, usually the servers here don't have to much people - So, my idea its put for example 4 bots, the server limit players its 12 - Put 4 bots, the people will start to connect, for example 8 players, what happends if we have 9 players? we are going to have 9+4 = 13 in total? or 1 bot its going to be kicked?

Thanks.-
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Bots Player Slots

Post by sektor2111 »

How about doing a direct check ? Guaranteed is more easy and nothing will explode.

Aside:
WELCOME to the forum!
geckotdf
Novice

Post by geckotdf »

Hi Sektor! - Thanks for the greeting! - I don't see any presentation area in the forum.

Direct Check you mean manually kick the bots if the number of players start to grow up?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Okay, here we are...
MinPlayers value is that setup completing Bots when server is empty (game doesn't start itself). The server has also MaxPlayers. If slots MinPlayers are completed by some human players a Bot will leave automatically for each human joined, of course for keeping MaxPlayers initially set, when sever has all slots completed it will return "Server is full" message for new comers, they can join as spectators according to MaxSpectators setup. If players starts suddenly leaving, Bots are going to be added in order to keep MinPlayers value. From 10 players if they are starting to leave but server uses MinPlayers=4, in that moment when server reaches at 3 players a Bot will complete MinPlayers=4 so will be 3 humans + 1 Bot. If all 3 humans are getting vanished other 3 Bots will complete stage.

Game-Servers companies are tracking slots because they cost money. Some of them have restrictive rules. If admin is fooling around increasing MaxPlayers more than is allowed they can even suspend server's activity for breaking rules. This is another story.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geckotdf
Novice

Post by geckotdf »

Amazing Sektor, good Explanation - So in this case its going to be something like this:

If i have max slot 12 and put "Min Total Players" in 12 - When i start the server will have 12 bots, nothing will happend until 1 human player start the round, its going to be 1 human and 11 bots, if another human enter, its going to be 2 human and 10 bots.-
If a human, or all go away the server will automatic respawn bots to mantain 12 players in the round, when finish by frags or time.-

Yes i understand that problem in pay servers because, usually its not good buisness for hosting servers have a Bots deathmatch running.-

By the way, i have a few more questions about some logs errors I have in the dedicated server console, I can open a thread in Servers forum, with a summary of mutators and modules I have, to get solve some issues?

Thanks!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Bots do not have anything in common with Player Slots used. You might have 20 Bots and 3 players. Server reports 3 Players, Bots are internal actors and they don't use Network resources. Whoever is blaming Bot for no reason is just a dumb-ass. Fake Players is another story...
Figure a scenario:
3 players are inside and 7 Bots are entering for completing MinPlayers=10. If some ugly things make players to leave and game is still running, those 3 players left are replaced with 3 Bots until a "map-change" or a game ended. While Bots are playing alone server is reported EMPTY, not a populated one. You people should understand that BOT is not a HUMAN player, unless your server will sounds like populated because map has a monster inside or a statue or an IntroDude crap. Actors from server are not humans connected.

Console errors happens at using default stuff - it's just UT. Some of them can be solved somehow but you can post whatever you have.