Notes to IpToCountry services

Discussions about Servers
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Re: Notes to IpToCountry services

Post by Pileyrei »

Thanks guys - I didn't want to paste all 255 lines of IPData[X]=
Just want to make sure my ini settings are correct as a crashing server is losing me players.

Hopefully it stays up now.

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
lolo121
Novice

Post by lolo121 »

Updated IP & countries definitions in http://forum.gameclan.pl/iptocountry/index.php

Should converting IP to country better than all other services. Example:

My service: http://forum.gameclan.pl/iptocountry/in ... 254.31.153
Other: http://utgl.unrealadmin.org/iptocountry ... 254.31.153

True is Canada, not US in this example.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Database for IpToCountry has monthly releases, if admins are busy to not update that, this is another story. Another reason might by a bug in database... so to speak a wrong info stored, you can report that to MaxMind maintainer. Some host-name looks similar at a web query - they are probably closer to real target.
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Post by MEAT »

Any new IpToCountry updates or are all of them dead?
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

http://geolite.maxmind.com/download/geo ... oIP.dat.gz

But it looks like MaxMind is removing support for the GeoLite database from April this year. We'll need to update the IpToCountry PHP file to support the GeoLite2 format beyond that to access the newest IP data:

http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/legacy/geolite/
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

MEAT wrote:Any new IpToCountry updates or are all of them dead?
I checked all again and updated first post.
Only noccer.de seems to be lost.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
lolo121
Novice

Post by lolo121 »

I added domain support to my iptocountry service. Just enter domain name instead of IP address. For example, for this site:

http://forum.gameclan.pl/iptocountry/?ip=ut99.org

If domain is bad, page will return "bad_domain". In other iptocountry services you can't get proper output, often with PHP error.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

lolo121 wrote:I added domain support to my iptocountry service. Just enter domain name instead of IP address. For example, for this site:

If domain is bad, page will return "bad_domain". In other iptocountry services you can't get proper output, often with PHP error.
Sorry for asking, but... what exactly is the utility of passing a domain name instead of an IP address?

I mean, generally what you want is to resolve the IP address of a user towards a specific country to know where he/she comes from, that's the entire purpose of a iptocountry service in the context of UT at least, while a domain name is something that may as well belong to multiple servers, and thus may resolve to several IP addresses, which may be all scattered throughout the world, although generally it will resolve to the IPs nearest to you by balancing it in the DNS itself, which is what CDNs do for instance.

Therefore, when you mentioned this, I cannot help but wonder what exactly would be the intent in supporting something like that?
lolo121
Novice

Post by lolo121 »

Some private projects maybe need this feature, so I offer it. Its better to offer more options than limiting.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

lolo121 wrote:Some private projects maybe need this feature, so I offer it.
So, in other words, you didn't really have any use-case in mind either, you just added it because you felt like someone else might find it useful.
Roger that. :)

Don't take me wrong btw, I was really just curious about which use-case you were trying to address here, because I couldn't figure out any myself at least, given that the country resolution from a domain doesn't really yield any reliable information.
lolo121 wrote:Its better to offer more options than limiting.
I do not mean to pursue this matter, but allow me to say that, at least from my own experience, I learned the hard way that offering more options or more ways to do something, without a good enough reason, is a shot in the foot, at least if you do intend, or are required, to maintain it for a long time.

In one hand it may make what you develop more "powerful" in a way, but the availability of such power comes at a great cost, which you only notice after you have a lot of options/features, and you have to maintain them all.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

lolo121 wrote:I added domain support to my iptocountry service. Just enter domain name instead of IP address. For example, for this site:

I could have swore we already used domain names and it resolved to ip addresses. Maybe I dont get what you have changed.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
lolo121
Novice

Post by lolo121 »

Feralidragon wrote:So, in other words, you didn't really have any use-case in mind either, you just added it because you felt like someone else might find it useful.
Roger that. :)

Don't take me wrong btw, I was really just curious about which use-case you were trying to address here, because I couldn't figure out any myself at least, given that the country resolution from a domain doesn't really yield any reliable information.

In one hand it may make what you develop more "powerful" in a way, but the availability of such power comes at a great cost, which you only notice after you have a lot of options/features, and you have to maintain them all.
I dont understand why you discussing about it. Im using this feature in my private projects and only gave possibility to use it for public, because in all other similar websites you cant use domain instead of IP address. Who need it and want to use will use.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Don't worry about it. :)

Perhaps it's a language barrier or so, but from your previous post you implied that you created it without actually having any immediate use for it, that's all.
So you use it for something, and you don't want to tell for what, and that's fine, no worries.

My question has been already answered in a way anyway, I was just curious what your thought process was in implementing something like this, so there's no need to discuss this further then. :)
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Bump. In hoping to not have a short happiness.
What did I figure a few time ago ? I was doing in a previous day a mutator loading actors/mutators after "Level.bStartUp" period, so to speak delayed with 3 seconds. One of things which I delayed was... ipToCountry stuff...

Code: Select all

[DelayerM_MH.DelayerM]
LaterMuts[0]=MAHelp.MATune
LaterMuts[1]=ipToCountry.LinkActor
LaterMuts[63]=
DelayLoadTime=3.000000
What was happening ? Well... I have to admit that I used some ipToCountry a bit modified but not a lot. This stuff do looks way more stable and responds at mutate command all time - I tested it entering LATER in game.

For now I have to see it how do works with XC_IpDrv. Long time ago I was thinking that loading some actors when game is initializing is not a good practice, now I have a confirmation (nearby other things which do looks better this way) :lol2: .

If everything will be fine, I think I will rewrite this tool implementing XC_Engine support, more exactly using Higor's iterators.

Edit: More results
I draw a single conclusion. When server do runs in a lousy environment ipToCountry is suffering. If server is well polished, ipToCountry do works and Services used by this tool are not guilty if server running the game is crapped up by default.
To summarize, a server hosted at NfoServers running a delayed ipToCountry, has no issues so far. My home server has a "time limit" here, something makes it to die and I have to figure what's the problem and where (net drivers, network settings, etc.). I believe this mutator is not that bad but it's sensitive...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

BUMPING SUBJECT.
Now days I could figure a lot of fake results from this original toy based on an external WEB query because databases are old and they do need maintenance from time to time, else perhaps a tool using a local - in a more readable human eye format - would work faster and which can be adjusted/updated easily. Some web services were providing lists based on rules for year 2020 and having a bunch of countries... This way I got a Peerguardian2 format list for mainly all Countries having 37.3 MB.
The question: Is anyone capable to re-code original ipToCountry into a local working tool reading data quickly directly in System from such a database (txt, ini, ect ?) Probably we might update this format for having a short name of said country inside - here some countries might not be that friendly as long as they have Loooong names... Or we can attach a configured ShortName using some INI file for whatever country, for future modifications when are needed.
Or it's more easier to do external queries to servers which might be in outage, accidentally firewall-ed, ect ? This sort of database can be hosted in a web server as well.

So far I'm using it for my queries as long as some web service do look limited having long nasty captchas, or user IP limitation to a number of queries. In a local file you can search 200 times quickly without restrictions. NotePad++ can find a country in less than a second - no network, no browser, no other "please-wait" craps.

Anyone in stage ?