Debugging performance issues & memory usage on Linux server?

Discussions about Servers
Dizzy
Experienced
Personal rank: Oaf

Debugging performance issues & memory usage on Linux server?

Post by Dizzy »

I run several game servers from a Linux (Red Hat) dedicated server with very good hardware - plenty of RAM, CPU cores, SSDs, etc. however occasionally players are experiencing issues, especially when the servers are quite busy (i.e. 8+ players at a time).

My setup is fairly basic (no heavy mods except a MapVote and Nexgen server controller) and I don't use NewNet or any modified engine code.

Issues I'm seeing include:
- Nexgen "log in" time increasing dramatically (30 seconds+) as server fills up
- All players' ping increasing slightly as server fills up
- Memory usage increasing to 100% if ucc-bin isn't restarted regularly

So: does anyone have any novel ways to debug these problems and see what's causing them, without actually needing 8-10 players to test it out? Can I just fire up 8 instances of UT and connect to the server to emulate stress testing, or are there more advanced tools to do this kind of thing?

Secondly, are there any relevant tools/mods which you'd say are essential for your server? For example, I've been reading about a basic Garbage Collection script, NewNet, and XC_Engine -- are those considered modern essentials yet?

Finally, are there any forum threads or web pages out there which act as a "best practices" guide for Linux servers? If not, I might just make one once I clear all this up.

Cheers.
Join the BunnyTrack.net Discord chat server: https://www.bunnytrack.net/discord
Higor
Godlike

Re: Debugging performance issues & memory usage on Linux ser

Post by Higor »

The server appears to be under extreme net/cpu load, also...
Dizzy wrote: and XC_Engine -- are those considered modern essentials yet?
:loool:
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Debugging performance issues & memory usage on Linux ser

Post by sektor2111 »

Dizzy, man, I'm gonna share what I consider "Modern Times".
First of all as an admin firing a server I think XCGE is a default Update - no kidding. Else... I'm interested to use all available goodies from XCGE because UT as it is even with latest Updates it's far from being stable and relaxed - and I'm keep on eye on XCGE thread + asking questions for more tweaking as possible. XCGE helps in fixing rammed stuff and putting things in order... so to speak I can play DM CTF MH until I feel exhausted and server is refusing to crash. If you still try/retry to stabilize a default config you should take in account that more tweaking is required which are CPU intensive - so to speak this is hard way.
The rest of so called "modern times" and running default matches unpolished and unfinished are myth including those stock Levels with problems (bad pathed, duplicated actors, and all sort of manure). There is nothing modern in running an old thing with over-known issues.