Server rental suggestions

Discussions about Servers
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Server rental suggestions

Post by Pileyrei »

Hello all

I found some outdated server rental suggestions and wondered if anyone on here who rents servers could give some feedback?
Personally I'm looking for companies who rent UT servers in the UK or very close. Price, player slots, support,etc all very important.

So who do you use and would you recommend them?

Piley

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Server rental suggestions

Post by Barbie »

I've ordered a "Virtual Server Linux Level 1" (root server) at Strato (Germany), price 8.99 EUR/month. Game support: none ^^. The advantage of a root server is that you can define everything as you like; the disadvantage is that you must define everything by yourself. So if you don't have knowledge of setting up a web server (for redirection), maintaining servers generally (managing software, updates, hardening, security) and are afraid of a command line, a rented game server would be a better choice.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

Hi Barbie

From that root server, can you create several servers from it?
Or its just one server?

I ask because I have a root option from one company.

Piley

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Pileyrei wrote:From that root server, can you create several servers from it?
I guess that (65536-1024) UT servers are possible on one host with one external IP address. ;)

I did not try that yet, but running several UT servers at one IP address should be possible if you use a unique port set for each UT server. For example:
MH: 123.45.67.89:12345
MH2: 123.45.67.89:20942
DM: 123.45.67.89:10815
CTF: 123.45.67.89:52906
A "port set" consist of the gaming and query port (see below). Usually the query port is gaming port + 1. IDK if that can be changed in UT.

The default ports are (taken from wiki.unrealengine.com):
7777: This is the port that the game will communicate with clients on.
7787: This is the server query port. When clients are looking to connect to your server, they will use this port to communicate with it.

If you have more than one external IP address, you can bind each UT server to a unique IP address using the default ports.

PS: One more advantage of a root server: you can set up a web space, a forum or whatever net service you like.
<EDIT>
PPS: Another advantage, if you set up the redirection server by yourself: you can access the redirection servers log to find 404 errors (file not found).
</EDIT>
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

Thanks Barbie

Thats exactly what we have at the moment - one IP, lots of ports so lots of servers.
But its coming to an end maybe so looking at options.

Thanks!

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!