The Unrealism Zone Server is Back!

Discussions about Servers
Arkon
Novice
Personal rank: Inhuman

The Unrealism Zone Server is Back!

Post by Arkon »

After almost three years, I finally decided to bring my UT99 DM + WeaponLord DM server back online. The Unrealism Zone server has returned! I'm also trying to be more active here, but the last two years or so have been very busy.

Here are the links, for more gameplay/stats/mod info, info:
Unrealism Zone Server Page
Link to GameTracker Stats

The server specs aren't listed on the server page (at least not yet), but it's currently running on Dell Optiplex FX160 thin client running a very heavily tweaked, and lightweight install of Windows Server 2008 SP2. Here are some brief specs:

2GB PC2-5300 RAM
Intel Atom 230 @1.6GHz (1 Core, 2 Threads)
160GB SATA II 7200RPM HDD

It handles DM perfectly fine, AFAIK after extended testing, and playing on the server with two others, but there seems to be performance bugs with some of the WeaponLord weapons, which causes the server to temporarily timeout on the player, for about 3-5 seconds. The FX160 simply may not be fast enough to compensate, like some of the much faster computers I used as servers in the past did unless I figure out how to get WeaponLord to run online better. Another weird thing about this is the system is only pushed halfway when this glitch occurs.

On the other hand, it's supposed to be replaced by a faster Atom 330-based FX160 with an SSD by the end of the week, hopefully. I'm also going to post a video on YouTube showing the glitch, and try to provide some console information from one of the logs; it had something to do with the textures, if I'm not mistaken. Other than that, the system is hardly pushed. :noidea

I thought about getting another Dell Optiplex GX620 USFF for dirt cheap, like I did years back, but then I'd have to deal with an awkward, heavy external power brick, excessive heat, a loud fan, and it's significantly larger than the FX160, which can be placed just about ANYWHERE. Also, the FX160 runs quite cool, and is SILENT!

Anyways, yeah; the server is currently online, and is ready!

Thanks, and happy fraggin'! :loool:
Last edited by Arkon on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: The Unrealism Zone Server is Back!

Post by sektor2111 »

I don't know if it's about that old WeaponLord, but if you are using that one I'll hint you a bit. In my very noob admin times when I was trying mods and things, that one was removed probably faster than other mods (craps). It has a lot of stuff and very rushed, poorly finished and bugs, imagine that not even a NASA computer won't handle such things, server is not guilty if mod is bad coded, just saying... because I'm playing normally using more slower machines (server/client) and I don't have headaches at this point toward server performance. This game is done for more slower machines used in '99, I even hosted default LAN matches with other dude on a PIII with no issues.
Arkon
Novice

Post by Arkon »

sektor2111 wrote:I don't know if it's about that old WeaponLord, but if you are using that one I'll hint you a bit. In my very noob admin times when I was trying mods and things, that one was removed probably faster than other mods (craps). It has a lot of stuff and very rushed, poorly finished and bugs, imagine that not even a NASA computer won't handle such things, server is not guilty if mod is bad coded, just saying... because I'm playing normally using more slower machines (server/client) and I don't have headaches at this point toward server performance. This game is done for more slower machines used in '99, I even hosted default LAN matches with other dude on a PIII with no issues.
Very true. I mean, I actually knew of some server hosts using (and even recommending) Pentium II 266 PCs with like 128 - 256MB of RAM, max! Heck, I used to play UT99 on an old iMac G3 400MHz, and a Dell Latitude J750 just fine.

I currently play UT99 on Windows 7 Ultimate with a Xeon X5667 + R9 270X; There are constant framerate drops while playing certain large MonsterHunt maps, excessive WeaponLord activity, etc. offline, and the system is hardly pushed. However, I found that a faster server would be able to at least compensate for the WeaponLord bugs a little better, but bugs will still be bugs---no matter how I put it!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Did you try other mods? NW3 is very satisfying and has MH support.
Arkon
Novice

Post by Arkon »

papercoffee wrote:Did you try other mods? NW3 is very satisfying and has MH support.
Yup; forgot to mention I ran another copy of UT99 I had with MonsterHunt installed along with StuffSwapper, and Nexgen MH Edition among other weapon/mutator mods; It ran very well on the thin client. Played MH-DeckInvasion, which is a large, and bustling map. Haven't played this particular map in years, and it brought back memories, too. Lol

Yeah, come to think of it, I think it's all WeaponLord's fault. It's too bad because I find it highly addictive---even to this day. Oh, well. I'll probably try to fix it, or find a fix, or just purge it from MapVote, for something else. :mrgreen:
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Arkon wrote:There are constant framerate drops while playing certain large MonsterHunt maps
In the last time I noticed that on my server too. Large Maps like MH-NodeInvaders, MH-OceanFloor6, MH-ProxyMoon_V2fix, MH-ICRedone(Rex)+ and some others stuttered while playing so much that they were unplayable. I noticed that are maps with many monsters right from start and concurrent large areas to play. Not all large maps have this problem so I can't figure out where the problem is. This happens with the NW3 Mod but I saw while playing on other servers they have the same issue with normal UT99 weapons. I enabled all NW3 server packages step by step for testing and saw suddenly the issue occurs whatever which package I activated last, the amount was critical.
And I have to mention there are servers where you can play these maps (also with NW3) fine and have no problems. It is difficult to encircle the reason for that. I think UT99 uses only one core of a CPU even though there are more available?
Last edited by Aldebaran on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Aldebaran wrote:In the last time I noticed [framerate drops] on my server too.
In my experience heavy logging on server side can also cause slow server response. I'd have a look into the log file if this happens next time.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Barbie wrote:heavy logging on server side can also cause slow server response
Yes, I had the same idea but have nothing found in this regard, logs were not filled with more warnings and so on...

But however is there a possibility to suppress warnings so they won't appear in the log file?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Aldebaran wrote:But however is there a possibility to suppress warnings so they won't appear in the log file?
Do I hear a Higor call? :lol:
Maybe it is possible to replace that log() function; I'd also try to give the filename NUL or /dev/null for the log file.

But a better solution would be an intelligent write buffering: use up to (insert INI configurable value here) MB memory buffer for file writing and flush it only if buffer is full or engine/host is idle. Separate it from engine core to make sure it can be written even after an engine GPF.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Chris
Experienced

Post by Chris »

Aldebaran wrote:
Barbie wrote:heavy logging on server side can also cause slow server response
Yes, I had the same idea but have nothing found in this regard, logs were not filled with more warnings and so on...

But however is there a possibility to suppress warnings so they won't appear in the log file?
Not without engine patches (see Higor's XC_Engine), but suppressing script warnings are not a way to solve the problem. The warnings are there for a reason, most likely you have a shit load of accessed-nones.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Aldebaran wrote: and some others stuttered while playing
Sorry, that was my fault - I've got something mixed up. The stuttering effect I have also sometimes seem to be another problem, perhaps because of network. Instead in the maps I listed I have the effect that weapons, munition and monsters were not shown then, also I can't see me firing, it seems to lag then very much.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Meh, if you guys are using MH or such with a lot of stupid load (map can be harder without load but... anyway) you should take in account playing at a higher NetSpeed Not 2600, I know some maps which make HUD a mess at 2600 because simply all data won't reach in client based on speed limit. On other side, a higher speed is server exhaustive. MH game should have sorted stuff and game running for player at 15000 - 20000 NetSpeed would be good. In 2013 I figured some lost dudes entering with 2600 speed and saying that this game sucks (actually I don't know who sucks). When I have learned more about UScript I wrote for my MH2 and automated NeedSpeed adjuster because those noobs with 2600 were only consuming slots without playing normally and only complaining - for sure MH maps are only a few, no worries, the rest are... files loaded.

Default hint: Accessed None masked are not an answer, when you'll be in then middle of fun, server will crash. For debugging you need full logs else you won't even know what is about and where, so leave logs alone and take in account what Higor did (btw I have some duplicated lines in log files with new UCC2) goal was to stop repeating the same line, but this will not fix bad codes running there, you need to get rid of buggers if you don't want headaches.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

In server.ini I have under section

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
MaxClientRate=30000
NetServerMaxTickRate=25

and

[Engine.Player]
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=100000
ConfiguredLanSpeed=100000

When pressing F6 ingame the network info (client side) says
NETSPEED: 20000

Sometimes when having these problems I have some packet loss shown there. But rather rare.
And my process manager on the server shows cpu workload maximum 40%, mostly 10-20%. But I suppose that this value could be false.
Last edited by Aldebaran on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arkon
Novice

Post by Arkon »

Wow, didn't expect this much discussion, actually.

Yeah, definitely not a networking issue on my end. Server already had all the .ini adjustments---especially for networking---applied ~4-5 years ago when I first started hosting. The .ini files for the mods were also reevaluated, as well as further adjusted before bringing the server back online. Spent hours getting everything (or almost everything) just right, since the server setup was saved as a backup, and was not cleaned up before doing so. I also tested the server via LAN, and on a completely different network (Thanks, Lenovo T400!)

I will post the console errors here in a little while; I did see plenty of errors in the UnrealServer Console while monitoring the temps, and system usage while testing the FX160 a second time a few days ago while playing WeaponLord via LAN. Again, no issues, or errors with regular DM, or with any of the UTC/UTM/Console Exclusive DM maps. I have to take the server down temporarily anyways, for other reasons.

UPDATE - Luckily, I also have Nexgen logs. The log information can be adjusted with this mod, as well. I will try to provide something from there, too.

ScriptWarning Update

Nexgen logs hardly contained anything of importance in regard to the WeaponLord issue, but here's a nice chunk of the console log ScriptWarnings:

ScriptWarning: Biohazardgun DM-Turbine.Biohazardgun0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Biohazardgun'
ScriptWarning: Devastator DM-Turbine.Devastator0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'QuadShotHeld'
ScriptWarning: Kamikazegun DM-Turbine.Kamikazegun0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Kamikaze'
ScriptWarning: QuadRifle DM-Turbine.QuadRifle0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'QuadShotHeld'
ScriptWarning: Pupaeheld DM-Turbine.Pupaeheld0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Pupae1'
ScriptWarning: ThrowingKnifeWeapon DM-Turbine.ThrowingKnifeWeapon0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'KnifeM'
ScriptWarning: Handgrenade DM-Turbine.Handgrenade0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'BarrelM'
ScriptWarning: ThrowingChair DM-Turbine.ThrowingChair0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Chair1'
ScriptWarning: Hellbomber DM-Turbine.Hellbomber0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Hellbomber'
ScriptWarning: Bazooka DM-Turbine.Bazooka0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Bazooka'
ScriptWarning: ExplosiveRabbit DM-Turbine.ExplosiveRabbit0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Rabbit'
ScriptWarning: HunterHawk DM-Turbine.HunterHawk0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Bird'
ScriptWarning: Mantaheld DM-Turbine.Mantaheld0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Manta1'
ScriptWarning: Colt18 DM-Turbine.Colt0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Colt18'
ScriptWarning: EnergyGun DM-Turbine.EnergyGun0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'BigFlash'
ScriptWarning: Handcannon DM-Turbine.Handcannon0 (Function WeaponLord.Handcannon.TweenDown:000C) GetAnimGroup: Sequence 'None' not found in Mesh 'DPistol'
ScriptWarning: BruteTroll DM-Turbine.BruteTroll0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Brute1'
ScriptWarning: SuperNailGun DM-Turbine.SuperNailGun0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'QuadShotHeld'
ScriptWarning: AntiTank DM-Turbine.AntiTank0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'AntiTank'
ScriptWarning: SASShotgun DM-Turbine.SASShotgun0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'QuadShotHeld'
ScriptWarning: DispersionQuadShot DM-Turbine.DispersionQuadShot0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'QuadShotHeld'
ScriptWarning: Tribalshotgun DM-Turbine.Tribalshotgun0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Tribalshotgun'
ScriptWarning: Candleheld DM-Turbine.Candleheld0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Candl2'
ScriptWarning: Pipebombcannon DM-Turbine.Pipebombcannon0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Pipebombcannon'
ScriptWarning: Shurikenheld DM-Turbine.Shurikenheld0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'razorb'
ScriptWarning: QuadRocket DM-Turbine.QuadRocket0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'QuadShotHeld'
ScriptWarning: Flamethrower DM-Turbine.Flamethrower0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Flamethrower'
ScriptWarning: Blobcannon DM-Turbine.Blobcannon0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Blobcannon'
ScriptWarning: Doublechain DM-Turbine.Doublechain0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Doublechain'
ScriptWarning: Chaser DM-Turbine.Chaser0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Chaser'
ScriptWarning: Biohazardgun DM-Turbine.Biohazardgun1 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Biohazardgun'
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Aldebaran wrote:In server.ini I have under section

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
MaxClientRate=30000
NetServerMaxTickRate=25

and

[Engine.Player]
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=100000
ConfiguredLanSpeed=100000

When pressing F6 ingame the network info (client side) says
NETSPEED: 20000

Sometimes when having these problems I have some packet loss shown there. But rather rare.
And my process manager on the server shows cpu workload maximum 40%, mostly 10-20%. But I suppose that this value could be false.
These have nothing to do with a random PLAYER entering the server with crappy setup. Your server might allow high values, but tell to a lost UFO that he need a better NetSpeed - I'll bet he don't even know what is that. His UT is > Install Next Next Next OK and that's all, regarding to your super duper server setting, sometimes you need to take measures. And 30000 at player I won't be surprise to see troubles with many people entered - you can take in account that you cannot update more than 1024 channels to communicate with Player - all clamps there, yes guys, 200000 is forcing server useless. Even this way UnrealEngine is capable of running well if mod running and map used are good else = PAIN. Player might crash at ProxyMoon at a moment depending on light created on a surface with "material" which UT doesn't have - good luck there in hoping to be a fixed map. First signal in removing a bad map is DevPath, when that thing stops working is first bad sign = OVERLOAD. And for sure that does not use paths - masking the mess. Else some of those maps doesn't use Zones being intensive for player - high "quality" no doubts.
/EndOfLittle Off-Topic

ON TOPIC
Arkon wrote:ScriptWarning: Pupaeheld DM-Turbine.Pupaeheld0 (Function Botpack.TournamentWeapon.TweenDown:0054) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Down' not found in Mesh 'Pupae1'
That's an example of a really dumb bug proving how much skill was in coding this package, it's a waste of time with WeaponLord. Suddenly default UT stuff must have weapons meshes/animations because of brain-farts - these are the laggers - more than expected; regarding to Suppressing ScriptWarning these being visual things blabbering in client too... is not a solution.