Breaking ICE or Not ? It's D E C E M B E R ...

Discussions about Servers
sektor2111
Godlike

Breaking ICE or Not ? It's D E C E M B E R ...

Post by sektor2111 »

To be honest I think it might be time for sharing some minimal XC server setup - Win related - for showing a sort of Tech a la 2016 for those which are interested about a server capable of hosting a default UT player, Non Goty player, XC_ Player. It might include 3 custom game types (MH/MH2/MA) (because setup is VERY easy) and little stuff for each of them.
I head for a sample server because writing pages of documentation makes reader tired and less interested. Taking a look at it might be more relevant than speaking.

By chance is anyone willing to share such a "How To". Is this disturbing ? (if yes, why ?).

I'm starting this chapter because I could see some players asking about a good setup and all I could see was a default lousy server setup (linked) even outdated, and REALLY NOTHING XC related, but dated 2016 - I would be ashamed to say that is a 2016 thing...

Thoughts ?
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Re: Breaking ICE or Not ? It's D E C E M B E R ...

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

I will help you with this. What kind of documentation would be best... from beginning to end config so to speak.

Apart from this idea of an easy setup I do have to say game server setup documentation is no matter how you look at it alot of reading and is not ever just simply run command line and go.

One of the biggest issues is you just have some guy whom may be just coming back to UT99
and says, "damn I loved this server I played on and its gone now how do I set up a UT server in simple terms" when clearly UT99 server is not ever gonna be that simple of a setup.

Sorry... But to make a simple tutorial setup for newbs is not an easy task Nelsona.

EDIT: If you plan to add XCGE for this tutorial as mentioned you'll need to explain the ini settings along with links to said XCGE content and whatever addons you plan to supply.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

A few moments ago I was looking over a dedicated server setup, more exactly "manifest" files INT and INI, the key might be "Help" folder having inside proper written explanations or simply ignoring setup things and dropping content directly as an usable thing with small ReadMe pointing to main explanations. However I expect to see admins using such things, else 0 skill ones unable to manage a default server will not even understand why it do works as it is. BAT commands are out of UT things, are computer operating things.

Setup which I have is based on Normal files not Place-Holders crushers, except music. That type doesn't seems to trigger problems like playing a null sound in server and crashing it, or stupid textures making a mess for S3TC players. It was a "save space" stupid idea. I got an original Server polished with an UA type, then tweaking non-tweaked things, added Credits.utx, No mismatch version, setting up run-line, mapvote, random map starter, and a few MH MA maps - no stock map. Just a intro about custom stuff set in a functional environment in columns 1,2 and 3.

If you want I'll send you that thing, I think you can write properly a documentation and I can "teleport" it into some HTML or whatever format for HELP folder. I think is our turn (older guys) for showing a Server-Setup because all I could see so far are just a mess.
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

Well I think its a great idea to make a nice tutorial for a UT99 XCGE setup.
Thing that bothers me is alot of these hosting companies don't allow much modifications
and can make it difficult for renter's to mod the game server with good stuff such as XCGE.

I think a tutorial for hosting UT99+XCGE on a VDS(Virtual Dedicated Server) would be better
and without a bunch of headaches. Thoughts?

Else you would need another tutorial for UT99+XCGE for rental hosting UT99 servers.
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

hi,
I would be greatly interested in reading such a practical documentation about XC engine.
I actually manage a sniper server (DM-TDM SAzp/camping, Linux v451) and I would like to improve its performance by using new compontents. I've been always interested in supporting new components able to improve the original unreal engine 1.x but I've been pretty busy in the last year, unfortunately I had to stop several ut99 projects (nyan-cat included).
Obviously, I would be happy to host these infos also on our forum and let them available to other sniper clans and admins to spread the use of such components.

thanks,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Yes, a practical document + a direct setup in front of eyes for understanding. My redirection method might be a bit harder for accomplish but not impossible to get understanding. In this case a few words + a small demonstration would be relevant.

Game-Servers rental Companies.
As long as some of them are still living in Ice Age they might lose customers. I could see some of them modifying run-line only by sending tickets and operated by their technicians only - bad move. Others are letting you to do what you want - but being restrictive at some system files - again, not an answer. Probably someone should push them in 21 century, else these servers will be hosted only in "House".
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Ice broken, Medor has the sample XC server right now.
XC docs probably are not that needed as long as XC_Engine thread is full of explanations...
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I've already made a few tutorials over in PM to some other, and have like 1 in public release but it is probably outdated to older versions for now.

I guess it's easier to make a video out of it, I already have a VDS so I can easily set up a sample server with some already in use v451 linux set up... but I hate talking in the video lol.

So I can point out 2 VDS that are currently offering credits to give it a try. DigitalOcean https://www.vultr.com/ and another one ... Vultr https://www.vultr.com/!
Last edited by Chamberly on Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Yep... it's now time for Linux deals... for anyone who wants to share such a sample server...