UT99 Server on virtual machine progressive degradation

Discussions about Servers
Lostsoul
Novice

UT99 Server on virtual machine progressive degradation

Post by Lostsoul »

Hello, please excuse my poor english. I have a UT99 server running inside a virtual machine. In the first 20 mins of the game, everything runs fine. I mean, me playing through lan and four friends through internet. But after, slowly but unavoidably, we all have lags, and more heavy lags. Also I playing in LAN. The ping remains near usual values. The host is an intel i5 with 24 GB ram on SSD, the guest is a Virtualbox machine windows xp 32 and has 1024 Mb ram and 20 GB disk. My ADSL is a normal 20 MB with 1 MB upload. I followed all the guides I found in internet, nothing changes. The router is correctly configured (all may friends can connect). This is driving me crazy. Anyone has suggestions? Thank you, LostSoul :roll:
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Re: UT99 Server on virtual machine progressive degradation

Post by rjmno1 »

Lostsoul wrote:Hello, please excuse my poor english. I have a UT99 server running inside a virtual machine. In the first 20 mins of the game, everything runs fine. I mean, me playing through lan and four friends through internet. But after, slowly but unavoidably, we all have lags, and more heavy lags. Also I playing in LAN. The ping remains near usual values. The host is an intel i5 with 24 GB ram on SSD, the guest is a Virtualbox machine windows xp 32 and has 1024 Mb ram and 20 GB disk. My ADSL is a normal 20 MB with 1 MB upload. I followed all the guides I found in internet, nothing changes. The router is correctly configured (all may friends can connect). This is driving me crazy. Anyone has suggestions? Thank you, LostSoul :roll:
Does not the firewall blocking your connections?
On wich virthual machine is this running?
Dit you properly install the network connections with the settings on this virthual machine?
give him some more intern memmory lets say 4 gb cause you host machine has 24 gb especialy when you are running a server and how more people login on this server the virthual windows xp needs more memmory to and get lack and running out of memmory when you start the ut 99 server..
Also with the disk space why did not giving him 50 or 100 gb harddisk space.?
in VMWare you can tweak your settings before installing windows xp dont be afraid to give it some memmory.
Because windows x32 is a 32 bit memmory os, you canot install more memmory then 4 gb because of the limitations of a windows xp x32.
When you are installing win 7,8,8.1 or windows 10 make sure you have a x 64 os cause you then give it some more memmory.

http://www.vmware.com/products/workstat ... ation.html

https://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ ... le_ws.html

much pleasure with this. :gj:
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Load a map where there's no special environment effects, connect a couple of dummy clients to it.
Let those clients sit idle for 1 hour.

If there is no degradation, then the problem is memory management and allocation.
Unreal Engine 1 allocates a lot of useless data over time, especially in net servers.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Basically you have to do what I did a few years ago (I had an ADSL line):
- use a sort of free ram optimizer - unloading memory from time to time, and set "mapSwitch.." at 15 minutes or 20 minutes in some map-vote - advantage Map-Vote in here - will purge garbage at map-travel letting server to breath from time to time;
- configure machine for a daily restart (I have used 4:00 AM) daily - it do helps, OS included - schedule a shutdown at a moment and then VIA Bios a Power ON 2 minutes later or 1 minute later if machine moves fast at previous turning off operation.

Higor is right, I was hosting servers on a native Win_XP and any of them was going down often for some reasons:
- a stupid crash because of stuff running;
- server stuck, and memory available around 1 MB - 900 KB - even OS being compromised in that state...;
- engine's goofing doing nasty things in random moments, even still having memory available.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Lostsoul wrote:But after, slowly but unavoidably, we all have lags, and more heavy lags
Have you had a look into server's log file? Maybe you'll find some hints there.

I'd also have a look at CPU workload. Is the WinXP updater eating up all CPU time?

Another approach could be measuring the speed of your internet connection after lags have started. If it is slow, maybe another process or device is downloading something.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Lostsoul
Novice

Post by Lostsoul »

rjmno1 wrote: Does not the firewall blocking your connections?
Surely no. I'm under a strong firewall appliance and the local firewall is deactivated. All my firends can easily connect to "me".
rjmno1 wrote:On wich virthual machine is this running?
As i said, Windows XP 32 bit in Virtualbox latest version, one CPU, 1 GB ram, 20 GB HDD
rjmno1 wrote: Dit you properly install the network connections with the settings on this virthual machine?
I think yes. One NIC in bridge mode, static IP on LAN.
rjmno1 wrote:give him some more intern memmory lets say 4 gb cause you host machine has 24 gb especialy when you are running a server and how more people login on this server the virthual windows xp needs more memmory to and get lack and running out of memmory when you start the ut 99 server..
I was monitoring the VM and with two server UT99 running it uses near 400 MB of RAM, never goes over 700 MB.
rjmno1 wrote:Also with the disk space why did not giving him 50 or 100 gb harddisk space.?
This VM is only for UT99. no other functions or services. The VDI file actually is 6,2 GB. I don't need other space, the VM is on a SSD of 525 GB, with other 13 VM.
rjmno1 wrote:in VMWare you can tweak your settings before installing windows xp dont be afraid to give it some memmory.
Because windows x32 is a 32 bit memmory os, you canot install more memmory then 4 gb because of the limitations of a windows xp x32.
When you are installing win 7,8,8.1 or windows 10 make sure you have a x 64 os cause you then give it some more memmory.
Right. But I don't need so much memory. It's a home server, active three/four day a week. I was playing UT99 in past years with a pentium4 machine with 1 GB RAM and a 40 GB disk. The video card had 64 MB RAM. Anyway, with 2 or 3 GB RAM nothing changed.
Good idea. I'll try with VMWare. Thank you :gj:

-- Edit by UnrealGecko --
Higor wrote:Load a map where there's no special environment effects, connect a couple of dummy clients to it.
Let those clients sit idle for 1 hour.

If there is no degradation, then the problem is memory management and allocation.
Unreal Engine 1 allocates a lot of useless data over time, especially in net servers.
Thank you Higor. I'll try. I'll say something of results. :tu:

sektor2111 wrote:Basically you have to do what I did a few years ago (I had an ADSL line):
- use a sort of free ram optimizer - unloading memory from time to time, and set "mapSwitch.." at 15 minutes or 20 minutes in some map-vote - advantage Map-Vote in here - will purge garbage at map-travel letting server to breath from time to time;
- configure machine for a daily restart (I have used 4:00 AM) daily - it do helps, OS included - schedule a shutdown at a moment and then VIA Bios a Power ON 2 minutes later or 1 minute later if machine moves fast at previous turning off operation.
Oh, right. Memory manager! :tu: I'll try.
sektor2111 wrote:Higor is right, I was hosting servers on a native Win_XP and any of them was going down often for some reasons:
- a stupid crash because of stuff running;
- server stuck, and memory available around 1 MB - 900 KB - even OS being compromised in that state...;
- engine's goofing doing nasty things in random moments, even still having memory available.
Thank you. :agree1:

Barbie wrote:Have you had a look into server's log file? Maybe you'll find some hints there.
Yes, found nothing relevant. Join, disconnect, change map and many useless infos (in this case)
Barbie wrote:I'd also have a look at CPU workload. Is the WinXP updater eating up all CPU time?

CPU workload is always between 35/50%, All useless services (like windows update, themes, IP sec, system recovery and many others) are deactivated. I'm using a "lightweight" version of XP just for these reasons.
Barbie wrote:Another approach could be measuring the speed of your internet connection after lags have started. If it is slow, maybe another process or device is downloading something.
Uhm... I think no, I have lags also in LAN connection...
Probably rjmno1 told the right thing, I'll try with VMWare and I'll install a memory manager as sektor2111 suggested.
Thank you all, now I've a new things to try. If something change, I'll say. :agree1:
Last edited by Lostsoul on Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

I did a vmware windows 7 x64 with unreal tournament, and there are some problems playing online with ut 99.
Maby virythual box is bether.
I just canot install the graphic drivers properly, and the mouse driver not behaving properly.
Maby virythualbox software use is bether, i will give it a try also and let you know what is the best solution for virthualisation also.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Dude, calm down, please read the forum rules, ok?

No double (in this case, quadriple!!) posting. :wth:
Lostsoul
Novice

Post by Lostsoul »

UnrealGecko wrote:Dude, calm down, please read the forum rules, ok?

No double (in this case, quadriple!!) posting. :wth:
It's me? In case sorry, I wanted to replay to everyone who's trying to help me. My apologies :(
Edit. I've just saw your edit, got it.
One replay for all, quoting the message for sender. OK :tu:
Lostsoul
Novice

Post by Lostsoul »

Hi all, bad news. Despite the tricks you suggested, the Virtualbox VM for UT99 still give heavy lags after an half hour. Setting execution cap at 70%, memory at 3 GB and a bigger disk, and installed a memory manager (wise), nothing changed. The VMWare version seems to be more responsive, but some random lags are still present. The settings for the two VM are pretty identical, only VMWare can't limit the priority of CPU. I'm really discouraged. Any other ideas? TY :sad2:
Edit: can someone post the configuration he's using to run a VM for UT99? Specifying VM platform, settings and tricks? I'll be very grateful. :agree1:
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

You should clear out where the lags come from. Is the VM on a dedicated machine or on the same machine you are connecting as a client? If the latter, the lag reason must be within the configuration of your machine/VM host/VM client. Otherwise also your LAN/WAN switch/router may be involved.

Let some bots play 30 min and join then to see if lags occur.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Here is good to see if not some useless "power management" is trying to save power. A dude called me once because his movies often went lagged after some time and he was suspecting codecs, problem was OS trying to turn off display while the movie was running. If fist time everything is OK and then it starts to get messy power management might be a factor, or probably I'm wrong and some Internet Bots are roaming around. I have experienced lags in the past at this point at running Web-Services on the same machine if directives are not properly set.

Another thing is that you might need some Network monitoring application to see what does it happen at network. A bad network configured drives shortly in a no connection (bad MTU, etc.) even if was OK at start. It lags more and more until all connections are lost. I have such experience using a mobile device in the past - working as modem.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

windows XP = Bad Idea
Virtual box = Bad Idea
ADSL = Bad Idea

solution = Pay for real hosting, or simply run on a real machine with a modern OS with a proper internet connection.

you have way to many variables for failure
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Qwerty wrote:windows XP = Bad Idea
Not entirely true.. I'm sorry but I'm using this way with 0 problems AFTER tuning things a bit, game is from year 1999 if I'm not mistaking... it do works normal on 32 bits platforms.
Qwerty wrote:ADSL = Bad Idea
I never had a better connection than on an ASDL - This is dependent on a more or less lousy ISP service. In that time connection graph was straight as a glass, no deviation.
No worries, a dedicated server might get your money for Less Options in exchange. Everything is better when you have entire stuff in your yard where you can track all traffic and you can see all issues which usually can be hidden by Game-Service saying that "is their problem".
One of options is paying for a better connection - here I mean a STABLE one not a "high traffic" one. I have hosted servers at home for years so I know what is about.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

sektor2111 wrote:
Qwerty wrote:windows XP = Bad Idea
Not entirely true.. I'm sorry but I'm using this way with 0 problems AFTER tuning things a bit, game is from year 1999 if I'm not mistaking... it do works normal on 32 bits platforms.
Qwerty wrote:ADSL = Bad Idea
I never had a better connection than on an ASDL - This is dependent on a more or less lousy ISP service. In that time connection graph was straight as a glass, no deviation.
No worries, a dedicated server might get your money for Less Options in exchange. Everything is better when you have entire stuff in your yard where you can track all traffic and you can see all issues which usually can be hidden by Game-Service saying that "is their problem".
One of options is paying for a better connection - here I mean a STABLE one not a "high traffic" one. I have hosted servers at home for years so I know what is about.
I've hosted home servers for over 12 years as well. I have never had a connection worse than ADSL shoot I think the last time I even used ADSL was over 20 years ago. If ADSL is the best you ever had.. All I can say is sorry you have not experienced Fiber.

XP is not supported anymore and is a security risk, so lets get that straight and out of the way. So you want to host a Virtual machine on a insecure out dated OS with the worst specs possible? sure go for it, but hence the issues the OP is having now. Sure XP works with UT99 but newer machines work 100% better, reliable, and secure.

I have hosted home servers over ADSL , CABLE, and Fiber. Lets talk about ADSL. It's not synchronous which means you super fast 1.5 Mbit download speed if your lucky can only support x amount of data. Your upload speed is laughable at best. I wont even guess what dial up speed that is. Now on the the important part. Will your ISP will they support multiple connections at once? probably not. This means speed degradation and most likely speed throttling.

The last home server i had was on a Fiber home line and 3 UT servers running on 1 dedicated server 2012 machine and it ran like a boss. There was still issues with *some outside connections though. How many hops it takes to get to your house with that fancy ADSL line? Sure my buddy a state or two over may not have issues, but it's no where near as reliable when there are players connecting from a few more states away or even countries away. Instead of going through their ISP directly to a hosted server; They have to now go through their ISP then jump over to my ISP and hop all the way to my server. Now that is twice as much as it would take a outside user to connect to a hosted server with direct access the backbone.

I didn't even mention other users on your super fast home network connecting through wifi playing PS4 or XBOX etc is your phone line running through the ADSL also? well there is more packet loss and bandwidth loss.

Just my humble opinion from an I.T professionals perspective.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB