Questions about mods and their settings

Discussions about Servers
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Questions about mods and their settings

Post by Pileyrei »

Something that has confused me at times is the ini settings of mods or more specifically, where to place them.

I have seen the settings some times placed in the unrealtournament.ini file and some times placed in their own ini file in the system folder.
Where should any ini settings of a mod be placed?

The other question I have is about the server startup line, example below.

./ucc-bin server DM-Deck16][?game=Botpack.DeathMatchPlus?Mutator=AllWeapons2.MaxAllWeapons,UTPureRC7G.UTPureSA........etc.

I'm never sure when something needs to be added here or not. For example, I installed the DMsmartscoreboard105. Followed all instructions. It never worked. Then I added it to the list above and it worked.
Is there a rule of thumb as to when you add things to the startup and when not?

Here ends the amateur questions.
Thanks
Piley

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Questions about mods and their settings

Post by Barbie »

Pileyrei wrote:Where should any ini settings of a mod be placed?
Similar to Windows' method: machine settings go to SYSTEM.INI (HKLM) and users preferences are stored in USER.INI (HKCU).
https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Classes#Modifiers wrote:In Unreal Engine 1 and 2 the special config names System and User are mapped to the system and user INI files, e.g. UnrealTournament.ini or UT2004.ini and User.ini [...]
Furthermore developers can define an own INI file for their package.
Pileyrei wrote:For example, I installed the DMsmartscoreboard105. Followed all instructions.
May I have a look at these instructions? Or just give a download link for the archive.
Pileyrei wrote:I'm never sure when something needs to be added here [in the command line] or not.
Mutators usually are started by the command line, other code can be activated via ServerActors.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Hi Barbie

Thank you for the reply :)

Here is a link to the smart scoreboard:
http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=M ... tDM105.zip

There are two read me files and after reading them both again it seems I missed this line in one of them:

"Also if you do not start SmartDM as a Mutator then add the following:
ServerActors=SmartDM105.SmartDMServerActor"

So you can either add to startup or place as an actor? Cant believe I missed it :oops:

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Pileyrei wrote:So you can either add to startup or place as an actor?
Yes, but starting via command line is more flexible, because this can change from level to level (for example with MapVote options). If started via ServerActor, the INI file must be changed which is a not easy task using UScript.
Pileyrei wrote:Cant believe I missed it :oops:
Happens :mrgreen:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett