Troubles with starting an online multiplayer game UT GOTY

Discussions about Servers
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Troubles with starting an online multiplayer game UT GOT

Post by sektor2111 »

DNS means an IP translated to a host-name for an easy access - perhaps you know this. This is doable be setting up a free account, my case is DuckDns.Org (since No-IP.org was under M$'s sabotage for some lousy brain-fart) and DuckDns doesn't require logging monthly for not losing account. It is sustained by some dudes "who like the challenge". Instructions are clear, that web-page is simple. Client has a sort of ID. By accessing their DNS server with your ID from an IP and given the known host assigned to that ID, they will point all external calls related to your host exactly into IP address from where was called their DNS server - host refresh or "DNS-heartbeat" so to speak. They even have a script solution (for me went a bit borked - probably I screwed some system policies) but I can manually update host when I need in case of a sudden IP change.
But first step is to start some server-service in your supposed server, and check it using CanYouSeeMe.Org test services specifying your whatever listen port. If they can see you, then you can start doing DNS account and setup and continuing with UT server.

Router related extra-option>
In the past when I had a sort of Modem-Router, in order to prevent forwarding pain, I simply set DMZ for LAN address used by server. People warned me, but I did not have pain (except default UT crashes - MH server and sh!t maps - that's another story), right now I'm using a firewall application easy to be managed where I have blocked all countries called "Enemies of Internet". For sure you don't need them. So I'm keeping intruders away using server itself with firewall not the router...
esmeets
Novice

Post by esmeets »

sektor2111 wrote: But first step is to start some server-service in your supposed server, and check it using CanYouSeeMe.Org test services specifying your whatever listen port. If they can see you, then you can start doing DNS account and setup and continuing with UT server.
Thanks mate, I will look into that.
regarding http://canyouseeme.org/
I have tested this with my IP and port 8080, 80, 7777 but they all give me this error:

Error: I could not see your service on 11.22.333.44 on port (7777)
Reason: Connection timed out
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Which means your ports are blocked so UT players cannot see/access your server. Try DMZ solution.
esmeets
Novice

Post by esmeets »

sektor2111 wrote:Which means your ports are blocked so UT players cannot see/access your server. Try DMZ solution.
I will try.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

esmeets wrote:4. Start Unreal Tournament on an other PC
That PC is within your LAN, too? If so, forget all router related things for a moment and try to connect directly to the box running the server. If that works, proceed to public access.
esmeets wrote:- Multiplayer, find internet games, UT servers <----- can not find my server
I repeat: even if your server would be shown there, it has announced itself with a private IP and therefor noone outside your networl will be able to connect.
esmeets wrote:- Multiplayer,open location, 11.22.333.444
- Connecting (F10 Cancels): unreal://11.22.333.444/Index.unr <---- nothing happends....
Then also have a look at %UTDIR%\System\UnrealTournament.log - maybe the reason is noticed there.

A hint to http://canyouseeme.org/: the protocol they are using is not mentioned (at least I didn't find it). If you have allowed UDP but they are using TCP, a handshake will never happen.

And a hint to DNS: keep away from DNS but use IP addresses in the beginning. If that works fine, then you can think of using DNS or automated updates of changing IP address.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
esmeets
Novice

Post by esmeets »

Barbie wrote:That PC is within your LAN, too? If so, forget all router related things for a moment and try to connect directly to the box running the server. If that works, proceed to public access.
Yes it is. LAN game is working fine.
Barbie wrote: Then also have a look at %UTDIR%\System\UnrealTournament.log - maybe the reason is noticed there.
I have copied some lines from the log file:
ScriptLog: UdpServerQuery(crt): Port 7778 successfully bound.
Log: Resolving unreal.epicgames.com...
Log: Resolving master0.gamespy.com...
Log: Resolving master.mplayer.com...
ScriptLog: Webserver is not enabled. Set bEnabled to True in Advanced Options.
ScriptLog: Initiating local logging...
ScriptLog: Initiating world logging...
Log: Spawning new actor for Viewport WindowsViewport0
Log: Resolved unreal.epicgames.com (199.255.40.174)
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Master Server is unreal.epicgames.com:27900
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Port 7779 successfully bound.
Log: Resolved master.mplayer.com (98.124.199.29)
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Master Server is master.mplayer.com:27900
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Port 7779 successfully bound.
Log: D3D Driver: Preloaded 0K/183688K (1)
Log: AInternetLink Resolve failed: Can't find host master0.gamespy.com (WSANO_DATA)
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Failed to resolve master server address, aborting.
Log: Received SC_MONITORPOWER
Log: Resolving unreal.epicgames.com...
Log: Resolved unreal.epicgames.com (199.255.40.174)
Log: Resolving utmaster.epicgames.com...
Log: Resolved utmaster.epicgames.com (199.255.40.174)
ScriptLog: UBrowserGSpyLink: Master Server is utmaster.epicgames.com:28900
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 84.81.149.2. Attempt 1
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 84.81.149.2 Giving Up
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 199.104.207.8. Attempt 1
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 199.104.207.8 Giving Up
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 68.7.185.41. Attempt 1
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 169.38.68.45. Attempt 1
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 169.38.68.45 Giving Up
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 77.174.128.10. Attempt 1
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 145.130.219.44. Attempt 1
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 85.184.51.63. Attempt 1
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 78.1.151.63. Attempt 1
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 45.7.228.82. Attempt 1
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 145.130.219.44 Giving Up
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 77.174.128.10 Giving Up
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 85.184.51.63 Giving Up
ScriptLog: Ping Timeout from 78.1.151.63 Giving Up
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Bah, CanYouSeeMe.org can be used to see Web services if are operational so if router doesn't block you. For sure UT 7777 cannot be seen but the rest Yes.
Next point, forget GAMESPY forever - is dead, dead and buried. Read more info about MasterServers and new options for 2017.

Also you can disable sh!t logging because I've doubt that someone cares about them, keep bandwidth more clean as possible for players only. Remove Web-Server actor because is not that helpful.

And the rest: DNS used for your external IP works fine if it's properly configured, I did not have any single issue here :| .
Last edited by sektor2111 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

What do you have in your Win7 firewall under Unreal Tournament -> Protocols and Ports?
I think your router should work fine now, perhaps it is the Windows firewall?
esmeets
Novice

Post by esmeets »

sektor2111 wrote:Bah, CanYouSeeMe.org can be used to see Web services if are operational so if router doesn't block you. For sure UT 7777 cannot be seen but the rest Yes.
Next point, forget GAMESPY forever - is dead, dead and buried. Read more info about MasterServers and new options for 2017.

Also you can disable sh!t logging because I've doubt that someone cares about them, keep bandwidth more clean as possible for players only. Remove Web-Server actor because is not that helpful.
Hi thanks but I have no idea how to disable all this...

Aldebaran wrote:What do you have in your Win7 firewall under Unreal Tournament -> Protocols and Ports?
I think your router should work fine now, perhaps it is the Windows firewall?
Inbound + outbound 7777-7783,8080,27900 enabled

Ok. I have tried this website too:
http://www.whatsmyip.org/port-scanner/games/
I dont get it....

and this (trail)
https://portforward.com/software/downlo ... utilities/

Last edited by esmeets on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Then you have to read some docs about configuring an UT server because INI file is not only for fun in there... you can even read content, some words are self explanatory - is not a rocket science.
esmeets
Novice

Post by esmeets »

sektor2111 wrote:Then you have to read some docs about configuring an UT server because INI file is not only for fun in there... you can even read content, some words are self explanatory - is not a rocket science.
Ok I will. But I think its strange that me and my friends can not start a simple online game... (we dont have to start a dedicated server)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

esmeets wrote:
sektor2111 wrote:Then you have to read some docs about configuring an UT server because INI file is not only for fun in there... you can even read content, some words are self explanatory - is not a rocket science.
Ok I will. But I think its strange that me and my friends can not start a simple online game... (we dont have to start a dedicated server)
You said you play over steam... can you invite your friends to play?
esmeets
Novice

Post by esmeets »

papercoffee wrote:
esmeets wrote:
You said you play over steam... can you invite your friends to play?
off course. we also do that but we also want to play online..
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:Then you have to read some docs about configuring an UT server
Well, he said that connections in LAN works fine. So the UT server as well as firewall on server's box is configured sufficient. The problem remains now in public access.
@esmeets: do you have a log file from a remote client as well?
<EDIT>
Maybe you can access to your router's log file, too.
</EDIT>
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I was speaking about disabling dumb things from a default setup - and you can disable your worldlog too because I'm not sure if anyone is bother to study it, and WebServer is raw/old and not that secured, resources consumer for no reason.
This is what I'm talking about
esmeets wrote: ScriptLog: Webserver is not enabled. Set bEnabled to True in Advanced Options.
ScriptLog: Initiating local logging...
ScriptLog: Initiating world logging...
Log: AInternetLink Resolve failed: Can't find host master0.gamespy.com (WSANO_DATA)
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Failed to resolve master server address, aborting.
I don't see any problem at using a dedicated server done by one of these players if you understand the term of DedicatedServer running in system's tray...

However I did not see DMZ checked, else I don't see any reason to not see server active...