Troubles with starting an online multiplayer game UT GOTY

Discussions about Servers
esmeets
Novice

Troubles with starting an online multiplayer game UT GOTY

Post by esmeets »

Hi,

We are having troubles starting our own online multiplayer game.
We have tried this on 4 different windows computers, with Windows 7, 10 and Windows XP. On different locations.
UT99, UT GOTY from DVD and the GOTY Steam edition.
Version 4.28, 4.36 and 4.51b.

When one of us start a online game this, none of my online friends can find the server;
Multiplayer -> Start new multiplayer game.
advertise Enabled.

It won't appear on the list of Internet Servers, UT or Populated.
We have tried the "open location" option with all our IPs (from watismijnip.nl) but still can not connect.

Hope someone can help us out here...
Thanks!
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Re: Troubles with starting an online multiplayer game UT GOT

Post by rjmno1 »

first of all the 451 version is indeed only for servers.
I dont understand your question, you wana setup a server, or the online gameplay does not work properly? :help:
You first setup the server and if you get all the settings right you must run ut99 again for playing so you can play on your own server,and then you have to setup the server for advertising wich he will apear in the list of servers online.

Hope this helps.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

rjmno1 wrote:first of all the 451 version is indeed only for servers.
I dont understand your question, you wana setup a server, or the online gameplay does not work properly? :help:
You first setup the server and if you get all the settings right you must run ut99 again for playing so you can play on your own server,and then you have to setup the server for advertising wich he will apear in the list of servers online.

Hope this helps.
What rjmno1 means is... that you have to run two instances of UT. One is the "dedicated" server where everyone joins and one is your gaming UT.
As far as I remember can you join a gaming-UT only on LAN.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I guess your box is NOT connected to the internet directly but behind a router (that probably has a firewall, too). Then you have to activate Port Forwarding in your router and open these ports in the firewall of your router and your box. See also how to port forward a UT99 server for this.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

As far as I know, When ever you try to host a game (of any type) and can't connect or see it online, It's always port forwarding.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
esmeets
Novice

Post by esmeets »

Ok thank I did not knew that.
rjmno1 wrote: I dont understand your question, you wana setup a server, or the online gameplay does not work properly?
I want to start an online multiplayer game so my friends can join from their home.

-- Edit by UnrealGGecko --
papercoffee wrote:

Hope this helps.
What rjmno1 means is... that you have to run two instances of UT. One is the "dedicated" server where everyone joins and one is your gaming UT.
As far as I remember can you join a gaming-UT only on LAN.
Thanks I understand. unfortunately I can not start a dedicated server in Steam... so I just want to "Start new multiplayer game" so my friends can find my online server

-- Edit by UnrealGGecko --
Barbie wrote:I guess your box is NOT connected to the internet directly but behind a router (that probably has a firewall, too). Then you have to activate Port Forwarding in your router and open these ports in the firewall of your router and your box. See also how to port forward a UT99 server for this.
This might be it.
I've got a D-Link router. The portforwarding page looks like this:

So, if I understand correctly:
IP Address: my own IP from IPv4-Adress CMD ipconfig <----?
Name : Unreal Tournament
Ports to open: UDP 7777 + 7778 + 7779 + 8080 + 8777 + 9777 + 27900

Do I need a static ip address before doing this?
Last edited by UnrealGGecko on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Posts merged, please avoid double-posting.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

There are 2 different things you seem to want:
1 - Be able to connect to your server;
2 - Be able to see your server.

The first one is like said above, you set up some port forwarding, and there you go, anyone should be able to connect to it.

The second one is far more tricky nowadays, because for your server to appear to them, it must be listed into the master servers.
By omission this master server is Epic's, however it doesn't seem to be willing to accept new entries in its list, or it takes a freaking long time (over several hours at least) to update it.

For this you and your friends can set a different working master server, a community one.
There's a guide for it here: http://333networks.com/instructions
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

esmeets wrote:So, if I understand correctly:
IP Address: my own IP from IPv4-Adress CMD ipconfig <----?
To make it easier, I assume the following network configuration at your home:
The router is doing NAT, and its LAN IP address is 192.168.1.1. The box you are running UT has the IP address 192.168.1.2. The network mask is 255.255.255.0 on both.

Then you have to tell the router: please accept incoming UDP connections on port 7777 and 7778 (firewall setting) and forward them to 192.168.1.2 (your box) at the same ports (or others, that depends on your UT configuration).

On your box you have to allow incoming UDP connections on the ports 7777 and 7778, too.

Then you have to determinate your current public IP address (it is NOT 192.168.1.1). That can often be looked up in router's configuration status web interface, but also by public services like What is my IP?.

At last tell your friends this public IP and they should be able to connect via UT's menu "Multiplayer>Open Location". (Giving the UT server the order to advertise its IP address is useless, because UT only knows its private IP 192.168.1.2 and cannot know the public IP address of the router. From outside your network it is impossible for others to connect to your 192.168.1.2 address.)
esmeets wrote:Do I need a static ip address before doing this?
No, but if your public IP address changes, you have to tell your friends the new address.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
esmeets
Novice

Post by esmeets »

Thank you. I will try this tonight and keep you all posted
esmeets
Novice

Post by esmeets »

Ok this is what I have tried:

1. Windows, Start : cmd / ipconfig : IPv4 Address = 192.168.0.191
2. Watismijnip.nl : 11.22.333.444 (example)
3. D-Link Router port forwarding:

3. Start Steam, Unreal Tournament GOTY:

4. Start Unreal Tournament on an other PC
- Multiplayer, find internet games, UT servers <----- can not find my server
- Multiplayer,open location, 11.22.333.444
- Connecting (F10 Cancels): unreal://11.22.333.444/Index.unr <---- nothing happends....

:sad2:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Ok, can you please stop to double post? Use the "Edit" button in the right corner if you have to add some new stuff.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

In your screenshot you haven't activated the rules by activating the checkboxes in front of them...
esmeets
Novice

Post by esmeets »

Aldebaran wrote:In your screenshot you haven't activated the rules by activating the checkboxes in front of them...
Thanks. I did now:

7777-7783,8080,27900

And my Windows 7 firewall settings:

But still no luck.......
any suggestions?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

At computer name don't you need machine name ? You have LAN IP address there not Computer Name - as a note...
I don't know that type of router anyway, my server is directly connected to cable-modem with no router and I have no pain (I'm using a router for connection sharing and for my client) - also by using a host-name from a free DNS things should be more cute for the rest of players: like unreal://esmeets.duckdns.org:7777.
esmeets
Novice

Post by esmeets »

sektor2111 wrote:At computer name don't you need machine name ? You have LAN IP address there not Computer Name - as a note...
I don't know that type of router anyway, my server is directly connected to cable-modem with no router and I have no pain (I'm using a router for connection sharing and for my client) - also by using a host-name from a free DNS things should be more cute for the rest of players: like unreal://esmeets.duckdns.org:7777.
I have selected the right computer name, corresponding with this IP. You just can not see it anymore.
How can I use a DNS host name?