UT2004 PWC server

Discussions about Servers
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

UT2004 PWC server

Post by JackGriffin »

Some of you older guys may remember the PWC servers and Sgt. Muffin. I reached out to Muff about maybe getting the server files to run a PWC clone server because I missed the Hellbender races and the Command-and-Conquer Mario maps (remember those?). Sarge answered and happily shared his files with me. I have a server up now at "71.11.65.100:7797" running the PWC setup. Everything is fast-redirected too. Join with a new 2K4 install and you'll be playing in moments.

Yeah, it's still as great as you remember. Maybe better.

Scorpion racing, chocolate factory assault, whipmatch, it's all there. Stop by and relive some old memories. I may get a hosted server if people play this, as far as I can tell no one else is running PWC's setup and it was really, really fun.

Big thanks to Sgt. Muffin! Sharing like he did is the thing that keeps Unreal community alive.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: UT2004 PWC server

Post by nogardilaref »

Nice. :mrgreen:
I am going to give it a try next weekend. :tu:
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Gonna try it this weekend, thanks! :gj:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Server keeps crashing on me. The PWC mods (I'm sorry to say) are not very well coded in that they just *pour* errors into the log. I have a message into Sarge asking if I can work on them and see if they can be improved. As they are now it's causing my entire server to lock up with a couple of maps. I'll advise as I move forward with this. If he allows it I'm certainly going to address the mod issues.

Update: I spoke with Sgt. Muffin and he informed me that there is protection/obfuscation on the PWC stuff. The masters are lost to time but he gave me permissions to do whatever I wanted with the files I have. I'm going to take a look at them tonight but I think the maps/code are partially stripped. If that's the case then I'm probably done with this :sadface: I may try putting them onto a Gameserver's server and seeing if they can handle the load. I know they will run, I've been on PWC's server many times when it was full and I can't remember it having crashing issues.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
SgtMuffin
Personal rank: PWC-Gaming UT2004

Post by SgtMuffin »

They do indeed pour errors into the log, but not errors that crash. Very few mods of mine were original, they were deviations of other's work and those errors typically appeared in the original code base. I was no coder back then, I am now. The one thing I had down though was mapping. Back then I was a control freak when it came to intellectual property (again, looking back... embarrassing) but we had a lot of neat stuff and I wanted our servers to have an edge over others.

The good news is I have had our servers back up and running since December 2017, and I don't plan to turn them off anytime soon. The IPs may change but that's because I'm leaving them up on some of my CDN's nodes with spare compute power. I have a mod that puts all of them under "assault" in ut2004 because that's mainly what the community was known for. We also have a discord of members from back in the day who play the race maps on nearly every Saturday morning.