Setting up server mods?

Discussions about Servers
Marscaleb
Average

Setting up server mods?

Post by Marscaleb »

I feel stupid for asking this. I've done this before, but for the love of hell, I can't remember how.

I've got a mutator I want to run on some games. But it requires some additional set up to run on a server, or else it won't work on the client's machines. The readme says I'm supposed to add the mutator to "your servers startup line mutators section" but I can't remember what that is. What is that?
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: Setting up server mods?

Post by esnesi »

Argh, after all these years, memory might get fragmented no worries haha.

The question would be; Do you want to run a server with this mutator?
Or do you just want to play it single player ?

If Single Player is the case (which i hope for your sake) you can move the files into your ''System'' folder of your UT directory.
When you start a single player game, the Mutator should be visible in the list of Mutators.

With a server, there are alot of things that are required before you can play with a friend on your server.

If you want to run this on a server i advise you to use Medor's ready basic server which has most standard stuff optimized with NewNet. (allthough UltimateNewNet is way beyond NN imo)
http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... v-2016.zip
Otherwise its alot of work, and starting from scratch as a beginner might take quite some time:

The startup line is the UCC line in the batch script (*.bat file)
This is the startup configuration line for the server.

*Be aware that you have to forward ports in your router and such, otherwise your server won't be visble in the serverbrowser of UT.

If you have the time, and are interested to setup a server for yourself i advise to follow:
http://mistrealm.com/ut/UTServerBuild.html

If your mutator contains a *.INT file you can rightclick it, and choose ''edit with notepad''.
You will see the mutator name how to load it into the server startup UCC line:
For example:

ucc server dm-Deck16][?game=Botpack.DeathMatchPlus?Mutator=Botpack.InstagibDM,YourMutatorName.Mutator

(Mutators are separated by commas)
Goodluck ;)

Don't hesitate to ask more!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Excuse my entrance but I have to clarify a few points.
If you are using a rented server perhaps not everything it's in your hands - mutators can be loaded in MapVote (if used any LA type or other). Here you need to knmow which mutator must have a higher priority in front of another one from mutators chain.
However some mutators are not running well by only declaring them - you need to have them in "ServerPackages" and even "ServerActors" if contains new stuff that must be hear/seen by player else player has Nothing. These are going declared into INI file used by server (UnrealTournament.ini, Server.ini, Awesome.ini, etc.)
If you are intended to do a home-server perhaps you have to know what is that RUN-LINE, else I must ask HOW your server do starts if not running a "command-line" if I can say that ?
Other optional things to know is that game-types generally don't need to be listed in packages or other dependencies linked with them, they are getting called automated by Engine. Mutators using new weapons, new HUDS, new sounds, new textures MUST be loaded as packages.
That's all about default Server way of doing.
For another solutions we can talk later if exist people interested in various dodging from various rented game-servers restrictive conditions. Purpose is to update and mitigate more correctly default UT problems which game-severs don't know them that much, or they just ignore them for your deception.

If you have rented a server on Linux, perhaps this is not the best choice regarding to Linux capabilities - just saying.

A sample of what I'm using at this moment:

Code: Select all

start /Wait /High /Min ucc.exe XC_Core.XC_ServerCommandlet UT-Logo-Map.unr?Game=BotPack.DeathMatchPlus?Mutator=NavAdder.NavAdder,NsUTw3.NsUTw,MapVoteULv2_1NS.BDBMapVote,Starter.TheStart?difficulty=3 -ini=UnrealTournament.ini -readini=UnrealTournament.ini -log=Server.log -logflush
As for INI, here is another sample:

Code: Select all

[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=0
Paths=E:/Servers_Share/System/*.u
Paths=E:/Servers_Share/Maps/*.unr
Paths=E:/Servers_Share/Textures/*.utx
Paths=E:/Servers_Share/Music/*.umx
Paths=E:/Servers_Share/Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../SysMH440/*.*
;Paths=../Maps/*.unr
;Paths=../Textures/*.utx
;Paths=../Sounds/*.uax
;Paths=../Music/*.umx
SavePath=../Save
CachePath=../Cache
Eh ?
Last small toy which I wrote is aiming multi-servers in a way. Player playing game-type A should not download ALL packages for all stuff loaded there like game-type B C D. Probably I have to debate ServerActors as well here, as long as not all ServerActors are intended to be used all time for all cases.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Moved the thread to "Servers"
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

iSenSe wrote:Be aware that you have to forward ports in your router
This is only needed if the server is behind a router that is doing NAT.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Marscaleb
Average

Post by Marscaleb »

Hmm, I think I may have started everyone barking up the wrong tree when I said "server."

I'm setting up a LAN.
There's a particular mutator I want to run on my games. The mutator's .u, .ini, and .int files are actually copied onto every computer already, I dropped them all into the system folder. Now there's one computer I have set up to host all the games, to be the server. And it is already working properly with said mutator.
But I want to be prepared to have a different computer be the host, just in case. And while I was prepping some new computers for the LAN party I tried having one of the new computers host a game, but the mutator didn't run properly.

There was some additional step I had to take in order to properly have a machine be the host; be the server. But I do not recall what it was.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

LAN or NOT I think I mentioned ServerPackages thing and even ServerActors. Word(/s) is(/are) self-explanatory. Whatever is a SERVER machine, in LAN or Internet it has to INFORM Player what will use - it's SERVER after all in all terms, there is not need to load files in clients unless you want to avoid clients to download files wasting time.

Buggers:
If you are using MapVoteLA13 this is advisable to exist in clients as well else fist encounter with this "package" will crash client due to super duper stripping used by this package.
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

It is almost like we are making this or thinking this more difficult than it is. :noidea
All I recall is we started a lan server game in the UT menu on one lan comp, then the other comps on the lan would click on find or join lan games, then poof it would go. :idea:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Starting it from Menu or UCC it Needs PACKAGES and/or ACTORS else it's a nothing even it is running on LAN or Internet - these are UT's networking rules. Server is server and has clear rules and is easy to do after all.

PS: If anyone it's interested, any of these servers has a Start-LINE seen or unseen in case of Menu used - it's described in Server.log file.

@Hook: BTW, speaking about Packages, you can talk to Medor about his "awesome" server setup recommendation from that section having name "Great Servers by". ServerPackages=TF2 is a dumb admin guessing thing. That is fixing timer from server, it's a ServerActor not client and has a DLL file which won't be sent to player by nothing, and Linux players will NEVER deal with it.
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: