CTF-[R3P]-W007-18[Insta] Ready for testing! Join here!

Discussions about Servers
R3plicant
Experienced

CTF-[R3P]-W007-18[Insta] Ready for testing! Join here!

Post by R3plicant »

CLICK ON THE THUMBNAIL IMAGE TO BE TAKEN TO THE TESTING SERVER. REDIRECT WORKING.
(thanks to JackGriffin for the temporary redirect!).

[url=unreal://82.36.101.191:7777]Image[/url]

Ok, so, after months of hard work, the map needs testing (and your observational reports please!), prior to final release. Want to help me properly test the map? If I am not there in the map, please report your findings, issues, faults to a PM to me here giving your thoughts/observations in bulleted lists where possible - thanks! Some basic facts I am already aware of: 1). Teleporters spawn incorrect yaw in main play area from spawn halls. 2). Asteroids missing in map (even the rogue ones!). 3). Lightning is constantly on in spawn halls. 4). Hm, no #4 yet.

Server will be online for about a week, 24/7, please join, have a look around, tell me (via a PM here or an email, (email address is in the server's details in the UT99 GUI), what works, what doesn't, what makes you happy, what makes you angry and tell me what makes you want to play the map again and again (if that's indeed the case). I'd love to hear from each and every one of you who joins the server to help test the map. :highfive:

Friendly warning, please do NOT make this map available anywhere else until the final release has been OFFICIALLY made public BY ME, this current map is NOT the final release. Thank you for your understanding. :mrgreen: When the map is ready for release, I'll make it public, officially, soon. :)

Server will be shut down some time on the 28th October so get in there before you miss your chance to see the map as it was meant to be seen! :tu: *Barring a few initial glitches / teething problems (as mentioned above) I need to (somehow) put right after testing.

Best regards, R3p'

P.s Remember to PM me your thoughts and observations via here or email!
Barbie
Godlike

Re: CTF-[R3P]-W007-18[Insta] Ready for testing! Join here!

Post by Barbie »

R3plicant wrote:1). Teleporters spawn incorrect yaw in main play area from spawn halls.
See wiki: Teleporter (In short: using bChangesYaw in net games requires Teleporter>Advanced>bNoDelete as True)
R3plicant wrote:2). Asteroids missing in map
Make sure that Asteroid>Filter>bNet is True. If they are rotating on local play but not on net play, change Asteroid>Networking>RemoteRole to ROLE_SimulatedProxy.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
KillRoy1972
Experienced

Post by KillRoy1972 »

looks great!

I absolutely love what you did with the textures!

Some quick little things..

The sky in the spawnroom needs some fixing. not really realistic, it looks like a panning cloud texture, very minor, but it sticks out to me..

Also, i think you use the standard kicker actor of UT99, if you do you absolutely need to change them to the
the extremew00t jumppad actor (donwload: http://www.extremew00t.com/downloads.html) it is called swjumppad.u

A very simple actor that is very simple to path, and bots do completely understand it. just set the start and the land point, path them the URL (teleporter) and tag in the land actor to the same, and the actor wil automatically calculate distance and speed, you can alter options like angle and a bucnh of stuff..

You can also use the falldamagehandler, which will reduce the damage you have if you are kicked a great distance, which is the case in some spots in the map..

You can find docs on the same site..

so;

- fix skytexture spawnroom
- use swjumppad actors instead of basic kicker.actors..

Otherwize, it lookst very good..

Again, i love the worn textures looks!!

hope this is helpfull..
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

I agree with KillRoy1972.
One problem I had was sometimes one gets kicked onto the opposite jumppad, if this is user error or not idk. Also taking damage from some jumps upon landing.
How well do bots run?
Signature goes here.
R3plicant
Experienced

Post by R3plicant »

Barbie wrote:
R3plicant wrote:1). Teleporters spawn incorrect yaw in main play area from spawn halls.
See wiki: Teleporter (In short: using bChangesYaw in net games requires Teleporter>Advanced>bNoDelete as True)
R3plicant wrote:2). Asteroids missing in map
Make sure that Asteroid>Filter>bNet is True. If they are rotating on local play but not on net play, change Asteroid>Networking>RemoteRole to ROLE_SimulatedProxy.
The teleporters are awkward,.. There are 4 directions of entry to them (x2,. 2 bases). You walk N, you walk E, you walk, S and you walk W to enter them,.. no matter what you set, (bChangesYaw or not) they're always going to have you exit facing A wrong direction except the N and S teleporters in the spawn-halls, those will have you exit facing the right direction when they're only designed to ONLY have you exit you facing N from Red base and S from Blue base. The E and W teleporters (a E and a W on Blue and another E and a W on Red), will not let you exit the base teleporters facing N (Red base) or S (blue base).

I'm just going to move the E and W base (Red and Blue) teleporters so that they're on the side jump-pad side-bases instead.

The asteroids are 'Boulder2'. From what I can tell, they have the exact same settings as the ones used in CTF-Face][, so why they're not showing up online in my map but DO in CTF-Face][ (also online) is a mystery. I checked the SkyZone info settings and except for the RotationRate settings under Movement, they are also identical (my one and the one in CTF-Face][, confused? Yeah, I am, definitely!). :noidea
ExpEM wrote:I agree with KillRoy1972.
One problem I had was sometimes one gets kicked onto the opposite jumppad, if this is user error or not idk. Also taking damage from some jumps upon landing.
How well do bots run?
There's a fault in the map somewhere that's causing excessively high reachspecs which REFUSE to clear/reset no matter what's done to correct it. I'm working with Red Fist to find the solution, if there is one. As soon as one is found, (IF one is found), then there may yet be bot-pathing in the final map edit, but don't hold your hopes up for any bot-pathing JUST yet until that issue with the reachspecs is HOPEFULLY solved. :| I'm sorry.

As for being kicked onto the opposite jump pad that's why you have arrow keys.. to land where you want (within the flight trajectory parameters, of course). I don't always just launch off a jump pad and land where I'm naturally going to, I use my arrow keys in flight to adjust the landing spot. 8) That said, I'll look at altering the path a little so it's harder to land on the opposite jump pads in future. :) Thanks for the feedback. :) :highfive:

Barbie, the asteroids aren't appearing in my map in online mode, it's not a case that they're there but not rotating. I don't understand why. See my above comments about what I know about the situation, currently.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

== YawTeleporter ==
R3plicant wrote:There are 4 directions of entry to them [teleporters] [...] they're only designed to ONLY have you exit you facing N from Red base and S from Blue base.
If I understood that correctly the target Teleporter should put the player in a certain direction no matter in what direction the player has entered the sending teleporter. Then the YawTeleporter could be a solution.

== bStatic/bNoDelete ==
R3plicant wrote:The asteroids are 'Boulder2'. From what I can tell, they have the exact same settings as the ones used in CTF-Face][, so why they're not showing up online in my map but DO in CTF-Face][ (also online) is a mystery.
On what server have you seen that Boulder in CTF-Face? Just test it again - 'Boulder2' is never shown in net play because it has bStatic=True as default.
Join the server with your map and move to a location where you expect to see the boulders, end UnrealTournament and have a look into the UnrealTournament.log of your client UT installation:
UnrealTournament.log wrote:Warning: SpawnActor failed because class Boulder2 has bStatic or bNoDelete
Warning: Actor not spawned for new channel
Some other bStatic problems

Code: Select all

LOG_Error: Barrel0.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Barrel1.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder0.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder1.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder7.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder8.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder9.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder10.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder11.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder13.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder14.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder15.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder18.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder19.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder20.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder2.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder3.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder4.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder5.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: Boulder6.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: utflare1.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: utflare3.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: utflare4.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: utflare7.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: UTFlare39.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: utFlare40.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: utFlare41.bStatic=False is not the default value
LOG_Error: utFlare42.bStatic=False is not the default value
In net play all Actors that have bStatic=True or bNoDelete=True as default and other values in the map are not spawned on clients. To overcome that, create a sub class of them and set bStatic/bNoDelete to false.

== Relevance ==
Because of optimizations on net player Actors that are not relevant to players are not processed. Because the boulders are in a separate zone, information about these Actors is not send to clients. (Just for fun add a teleporter that takes you into the sky zone and the boulders will appear as soon as you enter the sky zone.) To overcome this behaviour you have to set the bAlwaysRelevant flag on the boulders. But beware: there are only 1023 channels for this and every AlwaysRelevant Actor reduces the amount.

== reachspecs ==
R3plicant wrote:There's a fault in the map somewhere that's causing excessively high reachspecs which REFUSE to clear/reset no matter what's done to correct it.
Have you tried what I have suggested?
I just did that and got 110 reachspecs:
Spoiler
Editor.log wrote:DevPath: Remove 110 old reachspecs
DevPath: Add WarpZone and Inventory markers
DevPath: Add reachspecs
DevPath: Added reachspecs to FlagBase0
DevPath: Added reachspecs to FlagBase1
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Ambushpoint0
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Ambushpoint1
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Ambushpoint2
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Ambushpoint3
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter23
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter18
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter19
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter20
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter21
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter22
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter24
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter25
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter26
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter27
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter28
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter29
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter30
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter31
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter32
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter33
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter1
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter3
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter4
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter7
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter0
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter2
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter5
DevPath: Added reachspecs to Teleporter6
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart4
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart7
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart8
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart9
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart10
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart11
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart12
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart13
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart14
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart0
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart1
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart2
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart15
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart17
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart21
DevPath: Added reachspecs to PlayerStart22
DevPath: Added 110 reachspecs
DevPath: Prune reachspecs
DevPath: Pruned 56 reachspecs
DevPath: All done
Don't get confused by that what can be seen in the build window. I guess the number shown there is the index, not the amount of reachspecs.

== Map size ==
You have to decrease the map size... AFAIR the contest size limit was 75 MiB, yours have more than 80 MiB.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote:== Relevance ==
Because of optimizations on net player Actors that are not relevant to players are not processed. Because the boulders are in a separate zone, information about these Actors is not send to clients. (Just for fun add a teleporter that takes you into the sky zone and the boulders will appear as soon as you enter the sky zone.) To overcome this behaviour you have to set the bAlwaysRelevant flag on the boulders. But beware: there are only 1023 channels for this and every AlwaysRelevant Actor reduces the amount.
Cough, Map can be embedded with some "self-edit" stuff having a nice purpose - especially NOT USING net channels for such boulders in SkyBox which are exhaustive when we don't deal with them properly. This self edit stuff will perform spawning some sort of boulders ONLY IN client based on original ones, in the same location, in the same DrawScale while originals are rammed on demand (hiding them, reducing size if aren't too "static", deleting them, etc.). Proof: Map MH-AfterDark[final] has a skybox a la CTF-Face. I assure you that boulders there are visible all time in client without any Net problem at ONCE with those two statues which are really animating not only showing permanently - in Monster Gaming Server running patched. These are happening because this deco-data belongs to client, server won't replicate anything just referencing script and letting client to manage them. All time whatever decoration spawned in client is VISIBLE doesn't matter if server has nothing there - maybe a blocker or such which has a poor replication if doesn't change over time. These patch types can be implemented directly in map because UT stuff sucks at random and decorations have no purpose in server - who is looking at them there ?
To summarize == Relevance == - I don't care about it and you should take this in account as an alternate method for REDUCING Net channels rather than loading them.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Barbie wrote: == Map size ==
You have to decrease the map size... AFAIR the contest size limit was 75 MiB, yours have more than 80 MiB.
He isn't participating any more :(
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Indeed sad to read.
R3P his maps are always of big quality due to his textures offcourse.
Maybe he can make a SGTECH edition or whatever ;)
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Size could be reduced if he wants.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
R3plicant
Experienced

Post by R3plicant »

iSenSe wrote:Indeed sad to read.
R3P his maps are always of big quality due to his textures offcourse.
Maybe he can make a SGTECH edition or whatever ;)
The PK_Tech_Set.utx textures is a compilation of textures I put together from base textures by Philip Klevestav. He should get the plaudits, not me. :)
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Felt quite open for an insta map. Jumppads do fall damage (which is for a w00t map almost a nono). I'd say it works better as a regular weapon map than an insta map. (I did have a blast playing with PrinceOfFunky though).

Also what are the numbers mean on the teleporters?
R3plicant
Experienced

Post by R3plicant »

UnrealGGecko wrote:Felt quite open for an insta map. Jumppads do fall damage (which is for a w00t map almost a nono). I'd say it works better as a regular weapon map than an insta map. (I did have a blast playing with PrinceOfFunky though).

Also what are the numbers mean on the teleporters?
The whole idea (which I think you see), is that the map is less of a spam-fest map (like the ORIGINAL W00tabulous was), and more of a genuine challenge for hardcore UT99 fans.

I'm looking into using the 'falldamagehandler' for UT99 to help reduce (or even eliminate where possible) fall damage from landings from jump-pads. I'm reckoning that you'll have an even bigger blast when the map is full of players (16). :wink:

The numbers on the teleports in the spawn halls are there to just add some form of orientation, nothing more, though they do 'kinda' correlate to the placement of the target teleporters in the main play area but that's barely worth a mention tbh especially since there's a real chance I'm either going to move them about in the map's main play area or they MIGHT get fixed prior to the map's final release.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Picked up the map for experimentation.

Split the map file into two additional texture packages, both with dual Normal+S3TC textures, which significantly improves speed and size.
When it comes to map performance.
70 dynamic lights turned into static lights, particle emitters smart enable/disable, reduction of uscript coronas and lots of brushes remade and map is now 'barely playable'.

There are still issues, like a mesh with over 8000 unnecessary polys on both spawn areas.
Had to remove those decorative quares and lines around the jump pads, as they were increasing polycounts/nodecounts tremendously.
R3plicant
Experienced

Post by R3plicant »

Higor wrote:Picked up the map for experimentation.

Split the map file into two additional texture packages, both with dual Normal+S3TC textures, which significantly improves speed and size.
When it comes to map performance.
70 dynamic lights turned into static lights, particle emitters smart enable/disable, reduction of uscript coronas and lots of brushes remade and map is now 'barely playable'.

There are still issues, like a mesh with over 8000 unnecessary polys on both spawn areas.
Had to remove those decorative quares and lines around the jump pads, as they were increasing polycounts/nodecounts tremendously.
What had to be done, got done, I couldn't have done it - so, thank you Higor. :rock: There's more still to do of course but it's definitely on the way to getting completed. Next step is the bot-pathing and maybe some normal weapons added. :) I'm not gonna lie, I'm very excited to see it finally and absolutely finished. :)