Question: Windows Server(s) from home PC

Discussions about Servers
Dennis

Question: Windows Server(s) from home PC

Post by Dennis » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:27 pm

Hi good people.

I want to learn how to setup my own ut99 gameserver on my home PC running windows 10. I've looked arround here and at Unreal Admin, and I do find links to downloads and scattered info about it, but it still leaves me unable to host it.

Is there a simple step by step "ut99 server hosting for dummies" anywhere? Not a fully configured multi modded heavy duty server pre-installed in the download as those I find, just the basics needed to host a server with default gamestyles and mods?

And I've got an additional question, what if I want to run more than one server on the PC? And a sub question to that would be, can I use todays modern CPU's to benefit with performance by assigning a different CPU core to each server - and if possible how?

esnesi
Inhuman
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: Question: Windows Server(s) from home PC

Post by esnesi » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:30 pm

Hey there!

One of the most complete guides out there is this one imo;
https://mistrealm.com/UT/UTServerBuild.html
Dennis wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:27 pm
And I've got an additional question, what if I want to run more than one server on the PC? And a sub question to that would be, can I use todays modern CPU's to benefit with performance by assigning a different CPU core to each server - and if possible how?
Once you're done, you can copy your current server folder, and setup a different mapvote/settings etc.
1 core should be sufficient for UCC.exe, but through windows taskmanager you can set affinity. (go0gle: win10 set affinity)

Don't hesitate to ask if you get stuck, and goodluck!

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:53 pm

@esnesi : That looks awesome, thank you! I'll give it a go asap.

Custer
Novice

Post by Custer » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:24 pm

esnesi wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:30 pm
Once you're done, you can copy your current server folder, and setup a different mapvote/settings etc.
1 core should be sufficient for UCC.exe, but through windows taskmanager you can set affinity. (go0gle: win10 set affinity)
I do something similar.. but under Linux. And I simply create two different server configs then run the binary twice but passing a different .ini file as a parameter each time, e.g.:

./ut99-bin server DM-Agony.unr?game=EUTSource.EUTTeamGamePlus?Mutator=Mapvote14XL_B7F.BDBMapVote ini=server1.ini

.. is that possible under Windows? I know you can run the same executable twice but not sure if a binary reading a file locks out other processes.

(note: I also create symlinks to reuse the same maps/music/sounds/textures so I'm not unnecessarily duplicating a lot of data - not sure if this is possible also for a Win environment)

Que
Adept
Personal rank: ...

Post by Que » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:25 am

http://333networks.com/instructions

To get your server advertising once you've forwarded ports and so-on.

esnesi
Inhuman
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:22 pm

Custer wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:24 pm
esnesi wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:30 pm
I do something similar.. but under Linux. And I simply create two different server configs then run the binary twice but passing a different .ini file as a parameter each time, e.g.:

./ut99-bin server DM-Agony.unr?game=EUTSource.EUTTeamGamePlus?Mutator=Mapvote14XL_B7F.BDBMapVote ini=server1.ini

.. is that possible under Windows? I know you can run the same executable twice but not sure if a binary reading a file locks out other processes.

(note: I also create symlinks to reuse the same maps/music/sounds/textures so I'm not unnecessarily duplicating a lot of data - not sure if this is possible also for a Win environment)
I sadly don't know if you can have 2 batches active on UCC.exe with diferent INIs.
I assume when 1 map locks files on 1 batch, the other batch perhaps doesn't have read access indeed, but never tried.
Storage is cheap nowadays though!

Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Zeta Group leader

Post by Gustavo6046 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:55 pm

For multiple servers, folders are good enough.

Nowadays people have come up with a lot of random nonsense for "scalable" hosting. Stuff like containers and headless virtual machines and whatever. I guess they can be helpful depending on the use case, although they're redundant and unnecessary in yours here.

sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:56 pm

Custer wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:24 pm
Yes, disregarding what other are thinking with HDD space (supposed big now days) it can be wisely used for hosting multiple things. I'm using "shared" repositories as follows:
- Sounds Music Maps Textures - are common declared properly in paths which are located in...
- System_ETC, System_ETC1, System_ETC2 - each of them having another purpose (even engine version).
All it's operational flawless.
esnesi wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:22 pm
the other batch perhaps doesn't have read access indeed, but never tried.
False, it is about WRITING files - denied, in UT reading is doable from 10 sources because it won't hurt anything. Not a single time I opened a Map in TWO Editors for some checks. I'm aware of two current servers using the same maps folder without any issue. Except System files which are separate at once with auto-update places the rest are The Same. If situation is requiring a different formula probably MAPS have to be split based on game-types, but if it's about 1500 maps all of them can be used from the same location and the same map running in three servers taken from the same folder. Why ? Because a game Server it's NOT SAVING Maps and packages but ini files (and even not only ini files).

I have ZERO reasons for hosting 3 Folders × 15 GB with Music, each server having its own The Same Files :loool: - One folder is enough and for other types of packages as well. I'm not buying Hard Drives for hosting 3 copies of the same files - I would be the stupidest man from the Planet Earth. I think I recall that some programmers were doing apps for removing duplicated files from systems, but I don't recall even projects for creating more similar files thrown everywhere and filling space for no reason.

PS Note: Newer textures from 469 must be checked IF are a NEED for a dedicated server which usually doesn't render anything so I believe textures don't need to be duplicated... but... if these are hurting something they must be split and duplicated.