UT99 on Linux / Linode

Discussions about Servers
MichaelDX

UT99 on Linux / Linode

Post by MichaelDX »

Hey guys - newbie here. I recently signed up for Linode (linux cloud server) and got some games to run and play with my friends. Now, UT99 is a bit of a mystery to me. Can you point me towards a recent guide (or share with me your instructions) on how to remotely install UT99 on a Linux cloud server? They offer all sorts of distros, e.g. Debian or Ubuntu.

Been searching the forum (and the web) up and down for a recent step by step guide. Lots of it is outdated or refers to installing it on a local Linux server/client (not a remote cloud server with recent Linux versions). Probably just too stupid to find it ;)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and apologies if this has been asked.
Barbie
Godlike

Re: UT99 on Linux / Linode

Post by Barbie »

Do you have shell (and/or root) access?
The Linux version is not really important; of course it must support 32 bit binaries because UT is such one. Also for UT v469 GNU libc 2.19 or later is needed (see version 469 system requirements).

I started with ASU; looks like last update was in year 2003 but should still work.

A recommendation: use a virtual machine with the same Linux at home to try out several things and if it works, use reverse FTP to sync it to the public server.
"If Origin not in center it be not in center." --Buggie