A Question about Game modes

Discussions about Servers
User avatar
Zyri Blackwood
Novice
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:16 pm

A Question about Game modes

Post by Zyri Blackwood » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:55 pm

I was wondering is it possible to have a server with Mixed game modes? let's just say if the server was about to switch to a map is it possible to have the server change its game mode accordingly to which map? or would I have to manually shut it down in order to switch game modes?

I plan on making a server so I'm testing the waters and doing research. my first step is to test my limitations, then I'll move to plan on the creation of the server. I'm new at this. and this is the first time I've decided to make a game server for ANY GAME.

I've helped with a Gmod Server, and a Half-life server. and by help I mean, I did some small simple lua. I'm no stranger to learning things but do understand I currently know NOTHING about UT99 servers. I'm changing that slowly. but i have a lot of questions that are distracting me from learning the more important things. So I figured I'd ask the distracting questions first so that way I'm not disappointed later and give up later. I genuinely wanna see this to the end and want to MAKE this a reality. So I ask again. Is this possible?

Specifically.. is it possible to have a map vote at the end of each game and let every person whos currently connected to choose a map (i assume this can be done with a mod) and if they choose a map with a differing game mode is it possible to have the server automatically change the game mode according to map (this also sounds like a 2nd mod in the works if not standard)

Either answer, whether I can or can't, will help me make a better decision and plan a better path for my server so any and all information can really help out here.

If this was already answered I'm sorry, I did a quick search and found nothing specifically "Mixed game modes"
:highfive: CTF? More like Catch These Feels :highfive:

User avatar
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Posts: 2723
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 am
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko
Location: Kaunas, Lithuania

Re: A Question about Game modes

Post by UnrealGGecko » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:29 pm

With a good mapvote mod, think you can. Cant say I know too many, maybe BDBMapvote?

User avatar
esnesi
Inhuman
Posts: 955
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: A Question about Game modes

Post by esnesi » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:29 pm

Yes, it's possible.
Download a few mapvotes to see which one suit your needs.
http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Mapvotes/
Sadly they don't contain a screenshot.
Specifically.. is it possible to have a map vote at the end of each game and let every person whos currently connected to choose a map (i assume this can be done with a mod) and if they choose a map with a differing game mode is it possible to have the server automatically change the game mode according to map (this also sounds like a 2nd mod in the works if not standard)
As far as i know, every mapvote around that offers multiple gametype configurations has this as a base feature indeed.

User avatar
Zyri Blackwood
Novice
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: A Question about Game modes

Post by Zyri Blackwood » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:57 pm

esnesi wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:29 pm
Download a few mapvotes to see which one suit your needs.
http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Mapvotes/
This Link unfortunately sends me nowhere.

Automatically merged

UnrealGGecko wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:29 pm
With a good mapvote mod, think you can. Cant say I know too many, maybe BDBMapvote?
I will look into this later thank you!
:highfive: CTF? More like Catch These Feels :highfive:

User avatar
Barbie
Godlike
Posts: 2478
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:01 pm
Location: moved without proper hashing

Re: A Question about Game modes

Post by Barbie » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:24 pm

Zyri Blackwood wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:58 pm
esnesi wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:29 pm
Download a few mapvotes to see which one suit your needs.
http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Mapvotes/
This Link unfortunately sends me nowhere.
For my firefox it's the following:
Medor.jpg
Medor's site supports http only and no https - maybe your browser don't want to open http connections? Have a look at your browser configuration then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett

User avatar
TankBeef
Masterful
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:56 am

Re: A Question about Game modes

Post by TankBeef » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:37 pm

But Zyri, a suggestion if I may. Before trying to mix game modes, maybe you should focus first on getting the server up and running, and with only one game mode. Test with a map selection, for lag, glitches, crashes. Security against cheaters and hackers is important also. Will it be a public server? Will you host it yourself, or find a provider? I think these are things to consider before trying more complex things.

User avatar
Zyri Blackwood
Novice
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: A Question about Game modes

Post by Zyri Blackwood » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:45 am

TankBeef wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:37 pm
But Zyri, a suggestion if I may. Before trying to mix game modes, maybe you should focus first on getting the server up and running, and with only one game mode. Test with a map selection, for lag, glitches, crashes. Security against cheaters and hackers is important also. Will it be a public server? Will you host it yourself, or find a provider? I think these are things to consider before trying more complex things.
Oh no that's the plan.

Like i said, i wanted to know my limitations first. I wanted to make sure my vision was achievable. and that these bugging questions in my mind were distracting me from actually putting my mind into focusing on learning how to do this.

It's not private but it soon might become so. the idea is to make it to where anyone can join without a password, it's a place meant for my friends and anyone else who might want to enjoy the server. The aim is to be as casual as possible, community-owned too. Basically, if you're upsetting my players, you leave regardless if you're breaking rules. this is a haven for my friends and anyone who wishes to join our cause.

I understand already we will get some possible trolls and bung holes.. however, I Would indeed need to learn about the Cheating and hackers bit. I'm not sure how to protect myself from that in UT99 so, if you have any tips on that, that would be awesome too!

as I said I've worked with servers before.. I just wanted to know specifically the limitations of UT99, to find if my vision was a possibility, then work to that possibility.

Automatically merged

Barbie wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:24 pm
Zyri Blackwood wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:58 pm
esnesi wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:29 pm
Download a few mapvotes to see which one suit your needs.
http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Mapvotes/
This Link unfortunately sends me nowhere.
For my firefox it's the following:
Medor.jpg
Medor's site supports http only and no https - maybe your browser don't want to open http connections? Have a look at your browser configuration then.
oh Thank you! that is DEFINITELY the problem. :gj:
:highfive: CTF? More like Catch These Feels :highfive:

User avatar
TankBeef
Masterful
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:56 am

Re: A Question about Game modes

Post by TankBeef » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:36 am

Zyri Blackwood wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:49 am
The aim is to be as casual as possible, community-owned too. Basically, if you're upsetting my players, you leave regardless if you're breaking rules.
Sounds like my kind of place :mrgreen:

User avatar
Zyri Blackwood
Novice
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: A Question about Game modes

Post by Zyri Blackwood » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:01 am

I'll be sure to shoot it your way if I actually get this done then!
:highfive: CTF? More like Catch These Feels :highfive:

User avatar
Zyri Blackwood
Novice
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: A Question about Game modes

Post by Zyri Blackwood » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:28 am

esnesi wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:29 pm
Yes, it's possible.
Download a few mapvotes to see which one suit your needs.
http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Mapvotes/
Sadly they don't contain a screenshot.
Specifically.. is it possible to have a map vote at the end of each game and let every person whos currently connected to choose a map (i assume this can be done with a mod) and if they choose a map with a differing game mode is it possible to have the server automatically change the game mode according to map (this also sounds like a 2nd mod in the works if not standard)
As far as i know, every mapvote around that offers multiple gametype configurations has this as a base feature indeed.
I have searched up and down my settings to get to this link I even went as far as downloading firefox turning off all my fire walls, my VPNs .. I just cant manage to connect to this website. is there any other place I can retrieve these files?
:highfive: CTF? More like Catch These Feels :highfive:

User avatar
TankBeef
Masterful
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:56 am

Re: A Question about Game modes

Post by TankBeef » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:56 am

Zyri Blackwood wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:28 am
is there any other place I can retrieve these files?
Try here: http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=Mapvotes/
And here: http://www.proasm.com , it is what is used at gibblets servers, the SmartSB scoreboard is awesome too, the utchat, really good stuff. :tu:
I was also looking for the one used at FMJ, is it Map Vote Ultimate? That one is also good, but the link I found was dead. http://www.ultimateut.tk

User avatar
Zyri Blackwood
Novice
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: A Question about Game modes

Post by Zyri Blackwood » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:49 am

TankBeef wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:56 am
Zyri Blackwood wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:28 am
is there any other place I can retrieve these files?
Try here: http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=Mapvotes/
And here: http://www.proasm.com , it is what is used at gibblets servers, the SmartSB scoreboard is awesome too, the utchat, really good stuff. :tu:
I was also looking for the one used at FMJ, is it Map Vote Ultimate? That one is also good, but the link I found was dead. http://www.ultimateut.tk
Okay this works for me, thank you! :tu:
:highfive: CTF? More like Catch These Feels :highfive:

User avatar
esnesi
Inhuman
Posts: 955
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: A Question about Game modes

Post by esnesi » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:03 pm

To be aware;
ut-files is severe out of date, and doesn't list the mapvotes you specifically want.
mods created 7 years ago, are not listed there.

Searching something on unrealarchive manually is tedious. (search for nexgen for example, you won't find anything)
You can work-around this by go0gl!ng: Unrealarchive nexgen, or manually navigating through the website.

But to make things easier, i would still suggest Medors as the search function just works as it should there.

User avatar
TankBeef
Masterful
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:56 am

Re: A Question about Game modes

Post by TankBeef » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:46 pm

esnesi wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:03 pm
But to make things easier, i would still suggest Medors as the search function just works as it should there.
I agree, but I cannot access it either. And I used to be able to. Is it down? :?

User avatar
esnesi
Inhuman
Posts: 955
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: A Question about Game modes

Post by esnesi » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:23 pm

TankBeef wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:46 pm
esnesi wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:03 pm
But to make things easier, i would still suggest Medors as the search function just works as it should there.
I agree, but I cannot access it either. And I used to be able to. Is it down? :?
Try adding it to your trusted sites, i figure as it's http an exception there should be sufficient.