I want to create a new "vanilla" CTF server

Discussions about Servers
descent95
Novice

I want to create a new "vanilla" CTF server

Post by descent95 »

Save for some basic mods like MapVote and some custom maps it would be pretty vanilla.

Would you guys be interested in populating it? There seems to be a huge lack of plain jane servers these days, everything is crammed with mods.

Feel free to PM me with map downloads/requests as well! I want this to be a community effort. It's been years since we've had good player counts so I wanna make whats left special.

I am prepared to devote lots of time to this, by the way.
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Re: I want to create a new "vanilla" CTF server

Post by >@tack!< »

lolololol i think he wants a PLAIN server
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Vanilla server (normal gamespeed, normal weapons, no whacky mutators & mods) with stock & some custom maps would be very nice. It's hard to find any normal (not face-only, sniper, 200% gamespeed etc.) match today.
Some custom levels you may consider:

CTF-AquamarinaX32
CTF-LocustWind
CTF-Lucius
CTF-Baranco
CTF-Gazpacho
CTF-Terra
CTF-Horus
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Yes, I'd be interesed in populating that CTF server. I can barely find decent vanilla servers :/

A really good CTF map is ctf-damtoofar. I just simply love it, I always wanted to remake it. If you can't find it on utfile sites I'll send it over to you. But it's probably somewhere on unrealplayground.
Last edited by Myth on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I feel like I'm in good company now. DamTooFar is one of my all time favs too. If you look at the screenshots I posted for my mod presentations, most of the non-MH stuff is that map, as well as several demonstration videos I'll posted.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

Yes, regular - mainly "vanilla" CTF is the way to go.
Good idea.
If you need anything to help you, just give me a note! :wink:

Oh also...
CTF-LuXoR
CTF-Moribund
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
descent95
Novice

Post by descent95 »

Okay guys, I wasn't expecting this much feedback!

Alright, the server should hopefully be up very soon.

Just one question though: I know some people are opposed to this, but what if I used fake player mods for the first couple months just to help get people playing on it? Would you guys want to burn me at the stake? It wouldn't be permanent, I hate that shit.

I'm about to build the little bastard now. Celeron 500 and an HP mobo.
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

NOOooooooooooooooooooo - Don't do it! :omfg:
It really doesn't help I would think.
I wouldn't do it! :thudown:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

If you do, I'll be first in line to report it to GameTracker. That mod cheats the server admins who have taken the time to build a player base. Some things you just have to earn.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Don't fake-players. :thudown: It's lame. :thudown: Players will join in and leave instantly, never to come back. :thudown:

This is how I'd do it:

• Set up your server
• Set a specific date and time when you "open" your server to the public.
• Advertise the server in this thread and also open a thread on other ut forums.Post the specific time when the server opens.
• Make sure that the server works properly before this deadline so that you have no problem at all when the server opens.

If you do it right you'll have a decent amount of players playing the first matches. If they like the server, they will join in other times too :)
You can also invite players to test the server to see if everything is working before opening. Sorta like a closed beta test.
iloveut99
Skilled

Post by iloveut99 »

descent95 wrote: Just one question though: I know some people are opposed to this, but what if I used fake player mods for the first couple months just to help get people playing on it?
That will have the opposite effect, believe me. Players will enter believing that server is full and will encounter an amount of bots, they will remember it, and never enter in your server again.
descent95
Novice

Post by descent95 »

Duely noted guys, thanks! There will never be any fake players! Sorry if I'm ruffling any feathers, this is my first UT99 server and I want it to be as great as possible.

I've been playing this game for years, and I truly feel it is still the best online game ever made. I want to give something back to the community, bad.
Myth wrote:Don't fake-players. :thudown: It's lame. :thudown: Players will join in and leave instantly, never to come back. :thudown:

This is how I'd do it:

• Set up your server
• Set a specific date and time when you "open" your server to the public.
• Advertise the server in this thread and also open a thread on other ut forums.Post the specific time when the server opens.
• Make sure that the server works properly before this deadline so that you have no problem at all when the server opens.

If you do it right you'll have a decent amount of players playing the first matches. If they like the server, they will join in other times too :)
You can also invite players to test the server to see if everything is working before opening. Sorta like a closed beta test.
I was going to do this anyway :). Good to know I won't need to do anything more.
iloveut99
Skilled

Post by iloveut99 »

Try don't full your server with many downloaded content (or at least provide them a fast downloading wait), since the key point is that people want just to play. (well maybe this wasn't necessary since you are building a vanilla)

Call a few friends to play a bit sometimes other people will enter for sure.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Yeah, better start vanilla CTF server without (or with minimum amount) custom content and see how it plays out.