The IP is mocking me!

Discussions about Servers
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

The IP is mocking me!

Post by EvilGrins »

I got a little distracted from my previous goal of hosting games. Other than email, my online fascinations are UT99 and roleplaying on twitter. Yeah, 140 character limit me damned! People RP on twitter. This current storyline is fun:

http://twitter.com/BlueBirdTabloid/wte

...but I digress.

My situation is this; I have 1 computer. Technically two but the other doesn't have wireless or any kind of internet connection and is REALLY old. Still runs Windows '98. Plus, lacking a monitor it's kinda useless. So I'll be hosting from the computer I play on, no dedicated server. Probably, best then, when/if I get to hosting I stick to less than 10 players at any one time.

My IP knowledge is much like my knoweledge of cars, which is you put gas in and it goes. All I know about IP for certain is that it doesn't work when the computer is off. Somehow the whole thing seems more complicated now than back when, cuz in 2001 I hosted games online with no effort whatsoever...

...different computer, different times.

OKAY:
I followed Hermskii's online guide and now I don't see myself in the LAN window, when looking at servers, anymore. That may or may not be a good thing. I know what my original LAN IP was, kept it in a text file. Also, at the direction of a friend, I looked up 3 different IP detection sites to find out what my online IP should be. They all agreed so I'm trusting that's the one I need to host from.

I just don't know how to set it up so that my games make it to the public servers so othr people can come into my computer, so to speak, and get blown all to crap by the various monsters I've got running around on here.

I've been collecting creature packs for a few years, I've got some I don't think many have seen. Mostly for Deathmatch games, via MonsterSpawn. I'm not a mapper and don't know how to edit one so they just happen to be a part of it.

By the by, I'm on wireless...if that's significant.

So...help? :help:

On a random note:
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/29765.html
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: The IP is mocking me!

Post by JackGriffin »

I told you the answer already but you didn't google it did you?

No one can help you directly with this without you laying your network open to someone you don't know. You need to google your exact router model, then find the specific instructions on "how to set up a DMZ". The reason your game has a local IP (192.168.X.X) is because your router is assigning this local IP to your computer. The UT game sees this local IP and thinks that is your real physical IP and so it uses it mistakenly.

A DMZ will allow your computer to directly connect to the internet without the router handshaking it, so you can then get a real IP address assigned to it. There are security risks with running a DMZ so take your time and read the warnings.

Do you understand what will be involved with redirects for all your unique packages, otherwise people won't be able to play?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Googling my exact router numer might be a little tricky as I don't know what, or where, it is. I'm on WiFi, the landlord gave me access about a week before I started posting here.

I suspect he may not like me to fuck with it anymore than I have to...so I'm hoping there's something I can do from my computer that will bypass the need to get specifics from him.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Honestly you are making me unsure of your intentions. You've posted this thread other places and gotten pretty much the same response. Oh and NOW you decide to tell us you can't access the router because you are sponging internet? Really? You are going to run a UT gameserver on borrowed wifi? Something doesn't add up with you bro.

Stop troubling forums with half-questions. You could save several people from trying to help by simply stating "I want to host a server but I don't have access to the wireless router" because it's my
"landlords".
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote: I suspect he may not like me to fuck with it anymore than I have to
:| ...what?
EvilGrins wrote:so I'm hoping there's something I can do from my computer that will bypass the need to get specifics from him.
Well ...I don't think so. If you can't administrate the router you are pretty much fucked. You have to play on other servers then your own.
On the other hand ...why don't you get your own internet connection?

@ Jack
There is nothing 'rong with this constellation here in my country are many landlords who doesn't have enough money (or the building is TOO old) to run a cable through the house.
SO they offer the lessee internet in this way.
btw. I share internet with my neighbour ...he got access to my W-Lan and I have half the cost. :mrgreen:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Why don't I get my own internet?

Post by EvilGrins »

Broke. Unemployed. Etc.

I wasn't sure if I'd mentioned the specifics because, initially, I wasn't sure the Wifi mattered or not. As this is the 2nd post I've made on this particular issue, I thought I'd put all cards on the table, as it were.

Sorry if you felt you were deceived.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

One thing you may learn in this forum... put all cards on the table in your first post. So we know what situation we have to handle with.
We don't eat you alive ...