Hosting Server...where?

Discussions about Servers
Banaan
Novice

Hosting Server...where?

Post by Banaan »

Yo guys,

I've managed to setup a UT-CTF internet server. It was easy to do.
Problem is; I don't want to keep my PC running day and night.
So I was wondering, how are you guys host your server without keeping your pc powered?

I though, maybe it''s possible to run the server on my NAS (synology DS213air).
I have a personal website with some hosting space as well btw.

Thx!
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Re: Hosting Server...where?

Post by Metalfist »

Gameservers.com hosts ut99 servers and are up 24/7. You might want to have a redirect for fast download for your server as well (idk if you have).
Banaan
Novice

Post by Banaan »

Thx for your quick reply. I didnt knew about gameservers.com.

I would like to know if it is possible to host a server from my own website&host or NAS?
Gameservers.com is nice, but why should i pay for a gameserver if i have my own host already :)
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I used to have gameservers.com but I went to C-opsgamehost.com and it's pretty good on my end so far. But that would be up to you if you decided to get a rented server.
Banaan
Novice

Post by Banaan »

C-opsgamehost.com seems nice too. How does it work?
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

Running my main server on gameservers.com + 2 additional servers on g-portal.de

I actually have a dedicated linux server in my home which runs 24/7 (inter alia my website), on which I also installed some UT-servers. I mostly use them for testing nowadays since my connection wouldn't allow more then 4 players with smooth gameplay...
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

I've just installed a temporary UT99 (sniper) server for ISC team yesterday on GameServers (http://www.gameservers.com).
It's a pretty good hosting service, you've full FTP control plus a good management panel and a very useful feature, Switch Location, which allows you to change your server to any available datacenters.

The worst game hosting for UT99 on the market ? imho Multiplay (http://www.multiplay.co.uk), it sucks...
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

a good alternative tbh is actually to google <your desired server location>+CHEAP+VPS
in most countries you can get a really good spec VPS for as little as $10USD Month.
these systems give you total (i mean total) control over your servers.As you do from home.. there are both linux/windows/other os setups.. and whats quite nice is all you have todo is use the little remote windows login to access it from anywhere.. or via putty for linux based systems.

:D

That would be my oppinion mate :)

for a better connection try and work a gigabit connection over a megabit one .. but for this game a 100mb upload rate more then suffices

for a home bases solution.. all that is needed is a good solid connection with low latency and high output.. meaning that if your upload speed is around 10mb/s (unlikely) and you are on a telstracable connection.. then you could easily.. host a full 16slot server and some.

get a good router which has descent QOS 'Quality of Service' and ure away laughing.

set it up so that the server gets a descent percentage of the bandwidth share and everything else splits the difference and bob's you aunties ,sisters,cousins pet budgy.

:)
Hitman
Adept

Post by Hitman »

Since I am a noob at Linux my days at gameservers was short and my logs was like greek to me with sigsews and other weird things, now i rent a dedicated machine at gamingdeluxe with win2003 and all is back to normal hehe
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

imo ut runs better on windows .. and its simple to setup :) VPS's come in Windows Flavours.. as well in fact I think the New Hyper-V Server 2012's are like cheap as chips down these ways.