How to host UT99 server

Discussions about Servers
stroble
Novice

How to host UT99 server

Post by stroble »

Hello, it is I. I wish to know how to host a server, not LAN but for internet. I know nothing about hosting, a step by step process on how to do this would be really appreciated. I've been wanting to host a server to get some of my friends and cousins to play on the maps from an old server that died maybe a year ago.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: How to host UT99 server

Post by Chamberly »

Ok we'll get you started by little by little, because you would want to know how to do the full thing.

1st thing is, what server you rather host? Rented server (where you did pay for one) or host your own server from your computer?

If rented, what is the most likely location you want it to be located? Are you specific about the price? Most server host let peoples pay for slot per price.
Once you got this figured out, we can move on to the next step lol.
stroble
Novice

Post by stroble »

Chamberly wrote:Ok we'll get you started by little by little, because you would want to know how to do the full thing.

1st thing is, what server you rather host? Rented server (where you did pay for one) or host your own server from your computer?

If rented, what is the most likely location you want it to be located? Are you specific about the price? Most server host let peoples pay for slot per price.
Once you got this figured out, we can move on to the next step lol.
I want to host my own server from my computer
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

Ah ok, then this should be simple... however I have no experience with hosting from my own server, only from renting... someone else should be here to assist you soon hopefully.

In the meanwhile do you have any idea on what kind of game you want on the server? DM? Some type of mod? Mutators?
stroble
Novice

Post by stroble »

Chamberly wrote:Ah ok, then this should be simple... however I have no experience with hosting from my own server, only from renting... someone else should be here to assist you soon hopefully.

In the meanwhile do you have any idea on what kind of game you want on the server? DM? Some type of mod? Mutators?
Just good ol' DM with some models and skins available for the players.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Unrealadmin.org would be the best place to ask this question i think?

IMO it's way easier to rent a server than to host one for yourself, there are lots of Things you need to do when you host out of your own Network, you need to open ports in firewalls, that can be tricky depending of what hardware you have. There can be ping issues and package losses depending on the quality of your connection etc. these considerations are not needed when renting a server.

An easy way to run a home server is simply to setup your server to run a multiplayer game, but instead of clicking the play button you click the >dedicated< button, then your server is online with the setting you have specified (IF no firewall or other soft/hardware is blocking the traffic).
Retired.
stroble
Novice

Post by stroble »

TheDane wrote:Unrealadmin.org would be the best place to ask this question i think?

IMO it's way easier to rent a server than to host one for yourself, there are lots of Things you need to do when you host out of your own Network, you need to open ports in firewalls, that can be tricky depending of what hardware you have. There can be ping issues and package losses depending on the quality of your connection etc. these considerations are not needed when renting a server.

An easy way to run a home server is simply to setup your server to run a multiplayer game, but instead of clicking the play button you click the >dedicated< button, then your server is online with the setting you have specified (IF no firewall or other soft/hardware is blocking the traffic).
At the moment, I can't afford renting a server. I've tried hosting that way and it only shows up on LAN servers. Even with the Advertise box checked, it still shows up on LAN.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:you are under windows ? just download a full server pre configured http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... f=9&t=2305
if you want to use the settings under linux just remove ServerActors=TF2.TickFix

If you want a fresh install this is a french tuto with a lot of capture for andestand http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... f=9&t=1562
stroble
Novice

Post by stroble »

medor wrote:you are under windows ? just download a full server pre configured http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... f=9&t=2305
if you want to use the settings under linux just remove ServerActors=TF2.TickFix

If you want a fresh install this is a french tuto with a lot of capture for andestand http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... f=9&t=1562
I did the steps from the second link and I was able to get the server up, but for something reason when I try to join it, I get disconnected.
{D.M.P}DukeofBeduka
Novice

Post by {D.M.P}DukeofBeduka »

I have an offer for you and i will send you a pm.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:
I did the steps from the second link and I was able to get the server up, but for something reason when I try to join it, I get disconnected.
You must join it with another UT not the UT server.
Do you connect with your internal ip or public ip ?
Read the log server.

Give us the link for try.
stroble
Novice

Post by stroble »

medor wrote:
You must join it with another UT not the UT server.
Do you connect with your internal ip or public ip ?
Read the log server.

Give us the link for try.
I connect with internal IP. When the server shows up for a brief moment on the UT Server tab, it'll show a different IP.
Where can I find the log server?
At the moment, I'm away from my computer, using a laptop right now. When I get back, I'll be sure to give you the IP for the server if that is what you mean by link
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

for self hosting.. best to have a dedicated cheap p4 running 24/7

you will need to redirected certain ports from your router to the dedicated box , this will help: http://portforward.com/

is pretty simple really.

also you will need to find in the UnrealTournament.ini the line: RedirectToURL= *and find a free redirect server

alternatively you can find a cheap / free webhost search google.com > free webhost

from here you can create a folder and upload compressed files to it using an app like RedirectServerChecker [RSC] (Medor will have link for this)

configure this with your local folders path ie;c:\Unrealtournament and enter in your FTP details to your Free Web Host / Path to compressed files. ie; www.myfreehost.com/uz

run RSC and wait for sometime for it to compress files it will freeze (but let it go) when it has finished you click the button to upload the files to the Server.

how this basically it works is that when a client connects to your server.. they are sent any files which there install does not already have .. if these files are sent via the GameServer then it will cause immense lag for other players and will kill it..

a Redirect Server acts as a proxy? between Client(s) and Server in which case any missing files are sent from the redirect Server to the clients freeing up the bandwidth for players and the gameServer.

Once all files are sent from the RedirectServer the client then joins the Server.

hope this helps.

Cheers.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:Found
ServerLogName=
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

I don't know why some peoples rather keep a private convo about this... but c'mon some peoples want to learn how to do it on their own as well. There could be 10 more peoples out there who probably isn't registered come here looking for how to set up a server from their computer. lol. Other wise, I must think there must be something wrong if there is a PM going on, setting up something bad? :P jk lol.