instagib domination dedicated server

Discussions about Servers
P3T3^
Novice

instagib domination dedicated server

Post by P3T3^ »

Ey Guyz,

after asking if it was allowed for me to spam my server around here i got approval ! haha..
Anyways, I'm Peter or Pete and used to play a whole lot of UT in the old days :) ( =[TE]=ToRmEnToR, VoSsE, -<U>-V^tor ) and after being asked back a couple of times for some fun games i was like what the hell !
So i put an older box together to build a dedicated UT server. instagib Domination was a big thing back in the days and some of the people i play with still like to play this mod. The thing is that i would like to see what will happen to my box and I-net with some activity on it :) My reason for posting it up here to see if people are willing to take a peek as to how it runs and perhaps even give me some feedback :) Thanks in advance guyz ! and if we meet up on the server... be careful with me, this old fart doesn't shoot quite as good as he used to :P

Server : 80.56.111.165

For the techs and admins around here i will post some stuff on the technical part of my server and I-net connection. You are more then welcome to give me hints and tips on how to improve the server.

*UPDATED*

Hardware :

Intel P4 3.2 GHz Dual Core
2 Gig RAM DDR2
300 GB HD ( not sure .. haha )
100Mb Nic

Connection :

I-Net : 50Mb down / 2.5Mb up
Provider : UPC (The Netherlands)
LAN : 1Gb
It's setup behind a NAT and not in a DMZ ( all ports forwarded correctly on both router and server )

Windows 2008 Server (only running this 1 dedicated UT server)

General Setup :

4vs4 iDOM ( 3 Spectator Spot so far )
UTPG 451b

Mutators :

Instagib
2K4Sounds21 (UT_2K7 Soundpack)
BDBMapvote304
MODOSutilsv30
AntiTweakv52
ACE08h
TickFix2
QFeedbackv30
CountryFlags1.2
Bonuspack 1 and 4 (and Fixes)
ZeroPingPlus103

Networking Setup :

Netspeed : 15000
Tickrate : 40

All serious suggestions are more then welcome since i have no idea how servers are being run now a days. For me it seems quite stable, then again, i can connect thru LAN.
Last edited by P3T3^ on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagib SPAM! Server 3v3 iCTF :: 80.56.111.165:7801 :: Only Small Maps (Down for 1 day due to moving)
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Re: instagib domination dedicated server

Post by TheDane »

Igib DOM has always been one of my favorites :-)

Your server specs are good, it will have to come down to the bandwidth I think? Remember to use a redirect service to save your bandwidth, you can follow the link in my signiature to find a free redirect, there are also other free redirects arround. Also I advice you to upgrade server protection with ACEv8h, also available in the file section if you follow my link.

I hope to be able to catch some good games there!
Retired.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Get Cacheman to fine-tune your settings, and remove any system reserved bandwidth, and extra delays. You can give various tasks a "sticky priority" so they always run how you want. eg. setting any heavy CPU users to low, like security packages etc.
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t ... man#p58998

Note: The U1 engine will only use 1 core, so even if UT maxes-out, you can still use the computer.

You may want to add Xconsole http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5034
and Xbrowser and XServerQuery to your shopping list. http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3284

On the gaming side, I would recommend you have a play with Uber-Gore http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4844
NW3 can also be used for InstaGib games, and all the weapons are highly configurable.
http://www.ut99.org/viewforum.php?f=55

If you prefer traditional pickups and weapons, then Wormbos various enhanced items will add a bit of polish and fix a few bugs.
He even has an InstaGib upgrade http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/C ... taGib.html

Here is a collection of useful network tools, tweakers, and tracers.
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/b ... rnet-tools
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:
AuthChecker
Pure7G

This is a call for cheaters
Remove all two for minimum ACE and Antitweak
Tickrate : 35
You are under windows you ned TickFix 2

A fun mod for DOM http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... =51&t=2432
Changing the DOM mod adds a shield to each checkpoint.
To shield regenerates in 1 minute (every second a sound is heard).

If you remove the Purezp you can use the 103 or other Newnet
P3T3^
Novice

Post by P3T3^ »

Ey Guyz,

First of all, thanks for all the information you guyz came up with ! :)

@TheDane :

I think i have a redirect setup but i'm not sure if it is up now a days. ( the re-direct might be as old as i am :P ) I will have a look in to it !
About ACE, i've read a lot about that and i can see the Unrealkillers.com servers setup with this, so i will remove PURE and Authchecker and put ACE in there if i can find the link to the download :) Again, thank you for your input !

@Dr. Flay :

About Cacheman, i'm not realy sure what to think of it. But i'll give it a go, let me remind you tho that this is a Windows 2008 Server and is ONLY running this UT server, nothing more, nothing less ! :)
As of the processor i've put the affinity on CPU 0.. CPU 1 is sleeping i guess :P and from what i can see the system is only eating up 580 MB of the 2 Gigs of RAM.

I will have a look in to the Xconsole, browser and query, is this for recognizing your server on the lists ?

Not to sure about the Nali Weapons thing, i would like to keep the server as clean as possible.. But if you think this is a 'must have' feature i will look in to it as well after fixing the anti cheat ACE thingy.

Thanks for your input as well !

@Medor :

Yes, I'm using Windows 2008 Server fully updated and haven't seen the 'creeping ping' problem as of yet like there was in the old days with Windows 2000 and 2003 ( yes , i used to host on those ) and from what i can read on the net people tell me there is no such problem on Windows 2008... quote : "Windows 2008 Server is the best option to host your UT dedicated server on"

I don't have ZP enabled in PURE btw.

Could you give me a link btw as to where i can the TickFix 2 ? and same to you of course ! Thanks for the input !

Thanks guyz ! can't say it enough. If someone is willing to help out i can give remote desktop acces to the server if you'd like since i have my own company and will not ALWAYS have all the time in the world but i will have a peek in to all this information and see what i can do with it all !

I also would like to say that I'd like the idea this server being build FOR and BY the community !

*edit*

- Updated the redirect service and i can see that it's being resolved in the DOS-Box.
- Tickfix 2 is installed. And i must agree, this makes the server seem much more stable ! So BS about 2008 being best server bla bla bla... I do see improvements alltho it's only bot matches i'm trying so far.

Server Stats so far :

*edit 2*

- Removed Authchecker and found and installed ACEv208h. I've left PURE on it ( I use the hitsounds and maxclientrate alltho i don't know if ACE will overrule clientrate ), doesn't seem to conflict alltho i don't know how much use it will have with ACE running. System seems stable and no extra RAM usage. Again, i can only test so far since i'm on LAN. I will test it without PURE as well since my F6 ping went up to 60 where it normally is around 30. F1 Ping to me is around 9.
Last edited by P3T3^ on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagib SPAM! Server 3v3 iCTF :: 80.56.111.165:7801 :: Only Small Maps (Down for 1 day due to moving)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

P3T3^ wrote: Not to sure about the Nali Weapons thing, i would like to keep the server as clean as possible.. But if you think this is a 'must have' feature i will look in to it as well after fixing the anti cheat ACE thingy.
As the maker of Nali Weapons, I must say that you should treat it for what it is: a weapon pack mod/addon. If you really like it and if you really want to play with it then go ahead and host it. If however it's not something you're particularly interested in, then it's best if you don't (if you didn't ever try them, well, you don't loose anything in trying a few botmatches with them either to form your own opinion about them :) ).
NW3 (the latest version of it), has about 80Mb (zipped), but it's made in such a way that you can only host the weapons you really want to play with, so if you only want its instagib or some other weapon, it's possible to use just the packages of those weapons and thus keep the server as clean and small as possible and still use just the stuff that you want.
I must note however that NW3 as a mod is extremely lightweight on the server (even in its full form), and so far from I have seen and heard of, it's been very stable (although there are a few bugs that are fixed in the [yet to be released] final version), even in conjunction with most other mods.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:
Could you give me a link btw as to where i can the TickFix 2 ? and same to you of course ! Thanks for the input !
http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... ix%202.rar The readme is ok
I don't have ZP enabled in PURE btw.
You need a ZP so 103 is nice http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... lus103.zip

Dom maps http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Maps/Domination/
Dom mods http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=GameTypes/Dom/
P3T3^
Novice

Post by P3T3^ »

I've editted the previous post a couple of times, but perhaps this is easier :P

Anyways, i've made some changes as read above and i installed the ZP103. I have installed it as said in the readme. but here's the thing...might be a stupid question ( alltho i've been told stupid questions are questions not being asked ) I read something on ACE and i added the package in there as well. I have the idea tho that ACE only checks on HUD changes and so i don't realy need to add ZP103 to the ACE package list ?

resolved

Ace checks for itself :) It removed my package so i guess it doesn't need to be put there :) As does ZP103 seem to work just fine.

I will check on the Nali Weapons thing ! but i'd rather have the server smoothed out and setup and ready to play and see how it handles under stress of full player load and then go and check on the extra features... But, from what i've seen in the links movie it's realy a thing to consider putting on the server :)

*edit*

- Master Servers :

I have changed 1 Master server. The last one i believe

ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=unreal.epicgames.com MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master0.gamespy.com MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master.qtracker.com MasterServerPort=27900

but... I believe the Original master server is down ? and same goes for the gamespy one ? If so, does anyone have servers for me on wich i do show up for the public or a wider range ? any other input on this most welcome :)

*edit 2*

I could see people connecting to the server and directly being dropped afterwards. Been reading up on ACE some more and i have done the following thing on my NAT end.

port 7777 - 7781 opened on UDP (standard server range)
port 7782 - 7800 opened on TCP (i excluded the UDP ports in the ACE Config)

I excluded them since i read that ACE will take the next available port. To make sure it doesn't take a port in or not in use in the standard range of the UT server i've excluded those and gave a range of 18 ports on TCP for ACE. Hopefully this will resolve the disconnect issue.

Server Stats so far :

Last edited by P3T3^ on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The gamespy master is (or was) the only functioning original.
I think you looked at an old tutorial.
Here is the thread that has the developments of the current community replacement.
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/mast ... 56-10.html
The current posted settings
http://333networks.com/masterserver

BTW. Cacheman has a server profile. also the Sysinternals taskmanager replacement "Process Explorer" is well worth installing.
P3T3^
Novice

Post by P3T3^ »

Hey Flay,

Thanks again ! I have added the 2 master servers to my list on the dedicated server. Hopefully more people will be able to find the server now and are willing to play a bit of old school Domination.

I have also updated the tickrate to 40. This to me seems to make the server more stable..

Now let the people connect and play so i can manage the bandwith !
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:Just try it.

Need custom scoreboard and bots
P3T3^
Novice

Post by P3T3^ »

Thanks Medor,

Any suggestions on the scoreboards ? Perhaps SmartCTF ? and just use the scoreboard option from it ? (Was al ready thinking about it, but wasn't to sure if the scoreboard of SmartCTF would work on Domination)
Was also looking for a solution on adding bots, i did alter the level of difficulty, Just couldn't get them to join as soon as you log and make them even out the teams.

*edit*

- I have added default bots to fill up the teams. Dunno how good they are. I had disabled the webserver cause back in the days it could cause some problems. But after not being able to find the needed information on the net as to how to edit your ini to get them to spawn this seems to work just fine :)

- HUD : i have al ready added MODOSUtils (might be old) to add efficienty and packet loss to the stats on the scoring board. Have to look in to it a little deeper to see what options are available as in what to show. Still thinking about SmartCTF, kinda hoping someone has an answer for me :P
Last edited by P3T3^ on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

I havent tested it yet, but IMO there is no need for a popsmart HUD for a good old iGib DOM server :-)
Retired.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Good luck on the server :gj:

I'd love to join (DOM + Instagib = Awesomeness!!!) but sadly I live in a jungle with no internet connection :loool: .

Cheers!
P3T3^
Novice

Post by P3T3^ »

Sorry to hear GEx,

I'm sure this post took you 2 weeks to get to the nearest ISP through smoke signals or something ^^ ? :P just screwing with ya... haha ! :P

Edit-------------------------- by papercoffee

Just a little sum up of all the stuff i've been screwing around with and the server in it's state as it is now :

Mutators Running :

- ACEv08h protection added (this updated it self after installation as well)
- AntiTweak 5.2 (This was the latest version i could find)
- Zeropingplus 103
- UTPURE7G (Using the hitsounds, and MinClientRate of this)
- MODOSUtils 2.5 (This adds some extra stuff to the scoreboard. Still looking for alternatives)
- BDBMapVote 304 (I think this is relatively old since i remember this from the old days :P But it does its job)
- MonsterAnnouncer (Shows the double, Multi-kills, etc in chat)
- Bonuspack 1 and 4 and the handlers for PURE7G
- TickfixV2

Other Server Related :

- Added some bots, they will fill out all the empty spots.
- Added more MasterServers to get shown on more lists.
- Brought TickRate to 40 (seems to be more stable)