brainstorming ideas for redirect

Discussions about Servers
UT99.org

Re: CTF-w00tEternalCave.unr

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:You don't need a domain, anything on the http prococol will work there. I believe the only rule UT has is it must be port 80.

An ip address in that field would suffice. http://127.0.0.1/uz/ . Don't even require the uz folder [I only use it in case I use the server at the ip/port 80 combo for other things as well]

http://subdomain.domain.com/ would work as well
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

nice one ;) getting the feeling that the last 10 posts in this thread could be better utilized in the pre-existing redirect thread and/or a new one lawls.

good work.. and yes cognitively thinking helps when it comes to redirects.

I remember years ago Skillz had a scripted ftp setup which the public could upload to and it would do a check to see if said file was on redirect..

if it was regardless of version it would NOT upload the file and therefore render server useless unless Admin downloaded mismatched_file.uxx > Decompress > Upload to Server..

I had an idea re: redirect which I wonder would work.. somewhere I seen a multi-redirect checker.

thinking something like this;

public redirect server coded to check public upload folder against files in Main redirect folder.. then if file found check md5 checksum .. ok not a match.. check for sub directory sub1 .. file not present .. upload.

in short the redirect script could setup say up to 10 sub folders and mismatched files could be all uploaded to first the main folder > sub1 , sub2 folders etc. allowing for any/all files to be contained in the actual redirect.

now all that is needed is a small Redirect Patch or 'something' which requests a file from the redirect server.. the redirect script scans through the main folder then each of the 10 sub folders Recursively and sends the relevant file.uxx to the clients?.

probs a bit messy but something like this is still to my knowledge needed for this game.

I guess all this could be handled server side via php.. what would probably need .. is some kinda unique file identifier aside from the Name (Obviously) .. like a cache name or checksum something which could be sent along with the name to the redirect server.. then the script goes off hunting for the file.uxx in question I guess.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Hmm I forget where we got with this discussion. I remember going away thinking it could be done easily with the UT server's participation

O.K if I recall, to solve mismatches, you'd keep the one big public redirect server and it would have multiple versions of files with same filename. A little different to how you put it, but you get the point. Server would simply add it's ip into the RedirectToURL and a php script on the redirect server would send back the desired files that are set for that server's profile

Of course, there are no good pub redirect servers. You can't even get a directory listing or guarantee speeds/uptime. Ideally someone could host a database of files like skillz has that are for downloading only and not used as a redirect. Actually, I'll stand back let someone else explain that instead of 100% crushing your dreams that a free quality pub redirect was always going to be a RedirectToURL= away
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

would require some Higor styled Header editing to the XC_GameEngine to be able to achieve this goal I think.

also I dont think that you can have 10 files with the same name in the (same) folder on any OS? is it?

yes you can have 'this file.u' and 'ThisFile.u' but not "both" spelt exactly the same with differing file sizes?!?!

anyways.. what is actually needed I think.. is a small engine patch native or otherwise which requests the cacheID? the name of the file in the cache folder (looks like a windows reg key lol).. I believe that these are unique?.

now if the engine requested this CacheID from the Redirect server then it could send the said file which could be recursively stored within a folder tree for some sort.

Code: Select all

Main_Folder - file.u @ 10kb - CacheID = 123-456-789
∆
Sub_folder1 - file.u @ 12kb - CacheID = 123-456-890
∆
Sub_folder2 - file.u @ 1.2mb - CacheID = 345-321-478
soo.. instead of the server requesting file.u it asks for the CacheID instead..
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:
Wises wrote:would require some Higor styled Header editing to the XC_GameEngine to be able to achieve this goal I think.
Anything is possible here, slightly more a guessing game without the source to the later builds
Wises wrote: also I dont think that you can have 10 files with the same name in the (same) folder on any OS? is it?
You can't, but you wouldn't need to. The php script handles input and arranges output. Whatever the file header output is the client will refer to it as having that name. This is not as difficult as Ferali was making it out to be
Wises wrote: yes you can have 'this file.u' and 'ThisFile.u' but not "both" spelt exactly the same with differing file sizes?!?!
On linux, correct
Wises wrote: anyways.. what is actually needed I think.. is a small engine patch native or otherwise which requests the cacheID? the name of the file in the cache folder (looks like a windows reg key lol).. I believe that these are unique?.

now if the engine requested this CacheID from the Redirect server then it could send the said file which could be recursively stored within a folder tree for some sort.

Code: Select all

Main_Folder - file.u @ 10kb - CacheID = 123-456-789
∆
Sub_folder1 - file.u @ 12kb - CacheID = 123-456-890
∆
Sub_folder2 - file.u @ 1.2mb - CacheID = 345-321-478
soo.. instead of the server requesting file.u it asks for the CacheID instead..
Maybe if something in the engine was re-written. You forget all you have to work with is the RedirectToURL= and that doesn't change from file to file.

Deviating from mismatches and back to bad redirection, there's still some other ideas that could be floated, something could be created around the file downloader built into Anth's demo manager. Even a launcher type mod that uses code like the dependency tool you posted could query a server and fetch all the files without launching the game.

Ultimately where all this is heading: Ferali released some php stuff that could look up dependencies just like your tool does. (nobody cared at the time). If you look at his scripts there was enough potential there to put together a site that displayed map thumbnails, dependencies and info like author name and rec. number of players. Imagine a searchable database where one could look at all this and get all the dependencies in one shot. Because it would be less spammy without people running dir spyders to get all the redirected files that they will never need (but are afraid will go down at some point), it would run nice and fast, be cheap and thus easy to maintain
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

^thought that was what Dane & co was doing over @ utinfo?

yes I remember Ferali's php script and also the UnrealDeps I posted the source file for you actually ;)

indeed you are right .. wishfully someone would create this database and website as a resource .. but u know UT politics ;)

they'd prolly get attacked by 99 69 year olds with walking sticks,beer-cans, ashtrays and dentures... blurting 'Copyright infringements' and other C&D type crap - stunting anything really useful from coming out of it :/
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Not really what ut.info was about. He did have a small redirect of his own work at one point but the host was giving him a hard time about every little thing he did (Why he kept defending them I have no idea)

By the way, by source I meant the game source. As in UT432 headers and all of the source was leaked at one point.

Why do you think it would get attacked? You really think the community are a bunch of children? Yeah reading all the rules on a network like multiplay you'd probably think that. Treat people like children they behave like them right?

Hmm I wonder how long skillz's server has been not allowing dir listing. medor put the files on mega a while back if anyone wants them all and it was only 120gb or so then. I doubt much more has been added to it since it has been down forever. That's assuming it's still open for public to upload new files. Kinda sucks at the moment for anyone that did rely on it, I mean if they can't see if their files are on there by doing a quick search then it's almost pointless

edit: typo wouldn't -> would
Last edited by UT99.org on Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I would cut your discussion from here viewtopic.php?p=70838#p70838 and move the last posts in an own thread in the "General Discussions" or "Server" section. Any suggestion for a catchy thread title?
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:We did hyjack but not de-rail.

grrrrr I'm sick of seeing the words errorist and hijack though... it's still too soon and I don't feel comfortable using them

I can almost sympathize with the Germans who diss-allow the words Nazi and holocaust.
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

@paper sure lets just start a 'Server Redirect *BrainStorming*' thread in discussion ?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

billybill wrote:We did hyjack but not de-rail.

grrrrr I'm sick of seeing the words errorist and hijack though... it's still too soon and I don't feel comfortable using them

I can almost sympathize with the Germans who diss-allow the words Nazi and holocaust.
What do you mean?
I was just suggesting that your interesting discussion would be better findable if it would be in it's own thread.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Well it was sort of a reiteration of this thread viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5487 . You could tack it on the end there, but really I was answering him using the info from that thread (only it's in my head)
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ok I will do so.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I already see this thread title twice in the forums, I'm not sure what you're doing but good luck whatever you decide
papercoffee
Godlike

Re: brainstorming ideas for redirect

Post by papercoffee »

Done ;)