Server tips

Discussions about Servers
LaY-Z
Novice

Server tips

Post by LaY-Z »

Hi all,

I have created my own server for just my friends and me to play on.
Because I don't have extra hardware I installed a windows 7 virtual with VMware workstation.

The server has 2cores at 3.6Ghz and 2GB of ram.
The pc that I'm using to do is: Win7 64-bit - Intel I7-3820 - 16GB ram - 250GB SSD - Nvidia GTX660

The server is running but i was wondering if I did everything good.
We will using it most of the time for ICTF or IDM.

I used a basic server installation and added folowing mutators: MAPVOTELA13, SmartCTF 4E.

To run the server I use:

@echo off
:10
ucc server DM-Deck16][?game=Botpack.DeathMatchPlus?Mutator=MapVoteLA13.BDBMapVote ini=UnrealTournament.INI
copy server.log servercrash.log
goto 10

And in MapvoteLA13 is defined the different game types.

I also created a redirecting server to my nas and this works great.

Is this good?
Any tips for mutators or setup.

Thanks all
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Re: Server tips

Post by UTPe »

hello,
maybe I've missed something in your post but, if that is not the case, then I must say there is no need to install a virtual OS to setup an UT99 server locally on your machine.
You can simply configure your own copy of UT99 and then start a multiplayer game or, alternatively, you can use the (Win32) UT99 dedicated server package (for example, I installed a local UT99 server on my laptop to test mods/mutators before installing them on the physical server).

Secondly, the amount and type of mutators used depends on the game type you want to host on your server.
I'm not a veteran of CTF but common mutators used on CTF/iCTF server are SmartCTF 4E, RextendedCTFv2-4, FlagAnnouncementsV2 and HideNPeek. A mapvote is surely useful as well as a recovery system for game data (Resurrector).
You should ask to CTF gamers for smart tickrate/netspeed server params.

regards,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
LaY-Z
Novice

Post by LaY-Z »

Thanks for the reply and the mutators I will test them.

The reason on this virtual server is that i don't want it to run on my master os.
I something is not working good i always can go back without infecting my pc.

We are also playing this game on the internet.
Ik configured my router so that everyone can connect.
My connection speed is: 160 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload.

The ping over everyone is arround 35.

Thinks like netspeed and tickrate are new for me.
I used to play ut 10 years ago on my xp pc and averything worked fine.
And now it looks like you have to do alot ma make it work on a new pc.

Sorry for all the questions, the addiction for ut99 is back and i just want to make it work :)

Thanks
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

As your server install is not your playing install, you should consider the v451b patch http://www.utpg.org
If you don't intend to use UEd, then you can also use 451 for play.

My standard GOTY 2xCD edition, installed and runs flawlessly on my 64 bit Win7.
All you need to do on modern PCs is lock the CPU at maximum during install, Install using compatibility mode (never install in the "Programs Folder"), and update to modern renderers https://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=373
I also have VirtualXP on mine, but it is only used for occasional sandbox/security needs.
Because it has no hardware access to sound and graphics it is a lot slower than my real XP PC, which has an older GFX card and 1 slower 32bit core.

UT runs entirely within 1 folder. It cannot "infect" your Windows unless you accidentally install something in the wrong place.

Some mods and mutators have a config GUI, but many mods and mutators have more options you can access easier via the "Advanced Options" window. Most of these can have the values changed without requiring a game restart.
You can do the same by typing the commands but with the menus you can click, toggle, copy and paste etc.
Type "preferences" in the console.

Some of the original uplinks are gone.
Keep utmaster.epicgames.com - master.qtracker.com - master.telefragged.com
Apparently master1.multiplay.co.uk still works so you can leave in that or add it.
The only Masters that will serve downlink data to the server browser are the official ancient Epic master, and the newer 333 multi-masters hosted around the world http://master.333networks.com/about
The old Epic master does not support some of the mods and mutators that require their own tabs, so it is useful to add one of the multi-masters shown at the top of the www.OldUnreal.com forums.
LaY-Z
Novice

Post by LaY-Z »

Hi all,

I just installed the v451b patch.

Are the master server necessary if i don't want my server to ge public?
I just give my friends my ip of the server and they connect.

Could also someone advise me with the tickrate and netspeed for my server.
We play ICTF and IDM with a max of 10 players, my connection speed is: 160 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload.

This is the first time I have setup a dedicated server and I'm not sure is everything is ok.
Some of my friends say they have lag, and I can't see if it is there problem of a server problem.

Thanks
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:
Dr.Flay wrote:then you can also use 451 for play.
Isn't the sniper scope broken or something like that? Definitely use 436 to play, 451 is for servers.

specifically @Lay Z: I run my test servers on virtual boxes too :P But that's because I want to fully emulate the environment including that it's linux, and it's the same programs I use to transfer files, edit configs, start stop server etc. As Dr.Flay says the game won't hurt your computer. The only way it could is if you executed something non standard or had non standard dll libraries and there has never been a case of this reported. You are actually limiting the amount of hardware available to the server by running it on a virtual machine

For tickrate I would experiment, 100 is the absolute maximum I've been told. And as long as you don't have many friends then this would be perfect for instagib games. I would use the default 20 for normal weapons unless you use a mod like Clan Base Fall Cup, even then I wouldn't go over 35 for a Windows server

For maxclientrate some servers use 20000 and some use numbers closer to 10000. I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe the absolute max you can use is 20000 and absolute minimum 2600. There are some limitations in the way the game is written that will mess up the game if you set this to a high value (See NewNet). You will find the game will be drastically different when you switch from a number around 10000 to 20000. Personally I like the feel of an old setting here. 7000 or 8000 or if the server is going to have a big player load I would lower it to 6000 or whatever. The answer here is try, and see what 'feels' best running on your server's hardware and what 'feels' best for you and your friends
LaY-Z
Novice

Post by LaY-Z »

thanks billybill.

I also added the tickfix to my server.
But like you said, i will try with testing the different settings.

Any other sugestions are welcome.

If needed i will give my config files to check.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I think with the tick enforcer/fix and 100 tick you will decimate your server once a third player joins, just a warning. I wouldn't take it higher than 60 and you'll prob find 40 enough. Try it and check the task manager for excessive cpu use, make sure nothing is logging errors continuously to the log file. I have no idea what the impact would be if you add the mods mentioned by UTPe, so be wary
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

When I get home I'll post the tick explanation page. Double b is right on, 40 is plenty.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
LaY-Z
Novice

Post by LaY-Z »

It was set to:
NetServerMaxTickRate=20
LanServerMaxTickRate=35

I will test when both are changed to 40.

Netspeed:
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=2600
ConfiguredLanSpeed=20000

Should i change the netspeed?

thanks for all the help :)
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:"Netspeed:
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=2600
ConfiguredLanSpeed=20000

Should i change the netspeed?"

That will only change it for your client, and the server ultimately has the say for all the clients. By that I mean you can set the client lower but not higher than what the server has for MaxClientRate. (Hope I explained that clearly). See if you can find that option, should be under Ipdrv or something like that
LaY-Z
Novice

Post by LaY-Z »

Thanks for the info.
I will test it.

Should i also put something like UTpure or ACE on my server?
Does it provide me with benifets if no one is cheating?

sorry for the dummy questions.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Not really worth it.

Ace will fix some problems with speed stepping/laptop powersave options. The odds are you will know by playing offline or on non-Ace servers if you have this. It's not hard to fix by downloading a new launcher or changing some windows options. It's only common on old AMD processors and the powersave on laptops. It has some crosshair scaling (make your crosshair bigger or smaller) options for people with high resolutions. I guess you could use whatever crosshair of whatever size you wanted if someone would write up a tutorial, it's useless until that's done

UTPure offers a command "shownetspeeds" where you can see everyone's netspeed, I can't remember if this is even accurate with the maxclientrate or if it's only the netspeed the client has desired. This is an old mod and Ace checks for illegal UScripted functions, with added checks on file integrity. It does uniquely offer a few fixes of game bugs and disable a few tweaks. But again not really worth it
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

If you use an anti-cheat system it will also be your responsibility to whitelist new files it does not recognise.
Many server admin do not keep up to date, so will kick players with the newest video and audio renderers from OldUnreal.

It seems the goofier your mods are, the less you need cheat protection.
Servers like Hooks CMM redeemer server don't use it because people don't feel the need to cheat there.
Play on it and you'll see what I mean. There would be no point.

If you are hosting a sniper or camper server, then hell-yes you need anti-cheat.