Removing IPs/numbers from chat

Discussions about Servers
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Removing IPs/numbers from chat

Post by Pileyrei »

Does anyone know of a mod or how to remove numbers in chat on a server?

We have players often trying to steal other players away by spamming their server IP's.

I've seen one server say something like "numbers not allowed" or similar.
Yes there are ways around it but would like to make it as hard as possible :)

Thanks
Piley

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: Removing IPs/numbers from chat

Post by Chamberly »

Can try using a mod that disable/rename IP just like changing bad word to something else to say. I don't remember the name of the mod or anything but there is one for it.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

I understand the reasoning, but that can be really frustrating if not used on IP addresses alone (for example, the server at 217.147.84.102:5555 "===>GRAPPLE FACE ONLY <===" performs non-discriminatory number replacement). So any discussion about scores, pings, times, dates, ages is all made more difficult than it should be because you have to write every number longhand.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:What an anti-social thing to ask. Steal players away? Why would someone request something like this on a community forum. And I'm sorry if I don't go by the 'my mother always told me if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything'
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

That's advertising, one week ban, perma on second offense.
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

Are you comments for me billybill?

If so, we have players who join our busier servers constantly spamming their server IP address and asking people to join as theirs is "much better".
We worked hard to get good numbers and so I see nothing "anti social" about blocking numbers in game. Yes we can just ban them and some times we do.

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Can agree with the spamming part. Spamming the text area. But that's a separate mod altogether.

There is already a public one available somewhere And the code to distinguish a server from regular text wouldn't be hard to write. I won't be helping you here

I've had to clear this up multiple times with new admins, there will never be a rule forbidding regular players from changing servers. The less rules the better. I don't know where they get the idea that it's wrong to do this, maybe they play on you guys' server too long. You really don't think there's a problem in disciplining players for simply pasting the server they're going to go to? Is it even worth me trying to explain how stupid this is? I think you're treating people badly when it gets to that stage. There will be a way around it, but you're only going to piss people off when they have to type the same message five times for it to go through. And thus people won't come back. You could provide a server people want to play at and they wouldn't want to change in the first place. Well my two cents
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

@higor could you share this mod please as it is a very good idea , surely the mod can distinguish between xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx is a numeral <=256 .
Options could be ;
1. Warning
2. Kick (round)
3. Ban

Giving admins the option to use 1, 2, 3 etc.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I'm back, stepping in again. I've tried to do some search and I only got a few in mind. Keep in mind that these word remover/replacer can still take out the IP in a certain way. But yes, having an advertising policy is appropriate as well.

Found one of them.
http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showt ... hp?t=17329

http://ut-files.com/index.php?dir=&sear ... rch_mode=f
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

Thanks everyone!

We do have a no advertising policy - it is shown through server adds.
And funnily enough we do have "Keep it Clean" so I will look into that.

Thanks again :)

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!