How to Rent a Server

Discussions about Servers
cutieroo4
Average
Personal rank: I am ZIMMM!

How to Rent a Server

Post by cutieroo4 »

So, I've recently got some friends into UT99 and I wanted to set up a private server. I'm considering renting one and I was wondering how to do it.
Any tips or recommendations would be very appreciated.
-Thanks
Is it time for waffles?
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: How to Rent a Server

Post by Chamberly »

You can find any server host you prefer. There are plenty. Some have details of things of how you want to set things up. Such as:
-Server Location
-Offer of additional services such as (VOIP) teamspeak3, vent, or mumble, etc. and webspace (which can be used for redirect, etc.)
-Server running on such OS like Windows or Linux
-Some server host base the payment on how many slot, or more space to use and so on.
-& many more.

The set up, you can set up anything as you like (best if you know how) or have them to do it... or call someone here and have them to help you set up your server as you like.

Edit:
Found a thread that also show some server review: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1276

& if you have any question, we can help you out with those as well.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
cutieroo4
Average

Post by cutieroo4 »

I'm thinking about nfoservers.com, could a price of $12.14 really be legit?
Is it time for waffles?
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

From look of it, 10 slot is $8.99. 12 is 10.79... https://www.nfoservers.com/order.php as seen here.
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

Post by HOT_BEEF_INJECTION »

Be sure to backup your server setup locally too. Dont trust them 100% Sometimes they lose your files

Right Cham? :agree1:

Just sayin Image
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

Yeah. But I haven't have any fail on nfoservers but on nfoservers are just very basic stuff so there isn't much on it value wise, mostly default install with a few custom stuff I can handle it np..

Unlike fragnet.. I lost ALL of my stuff which is very important and took me like 2+ years including support from other help uploading files and setting it up as it is. :( lol. But I did add this to server review.
cutieroo4
Average

Post by cutieroo4 »

Thanks guys, you've been a big help. So once I buy the server how do I change it to how i like? I mean picking which maps/mods/weapons?
Is it time for waffles?
abomination
Novice

Post by abomination »

cutieroo4 wrote:Thanks guys, you've been a big help. So once I buy the server how do I change it to how i like? I mean picking which maps/mods/weapons?
This would be done usually using FTP to upload the files and to download/modify the ini files for setups.
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

There is another consideration that I would like to add. I was never a real fan of "professional" hosting; quotes, because "corporate" hosting does not imply "professional" hosting.

If you have an internet connection with more than 50kbps upload (not kidding) and an old PC (64MB ram/500Mhz or more), you can make your own dedicated server. It is simple to install a skeleton version of Linux (some patience/endurance required) that gives you full access to your UT server.

Nowadays it is pretty difficult to tell the difference between corporate/privately hosted UT servers. If there is interest for this option, let me know so I can write a small tutorial on our wiki.
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Darkelarious wrote:If there is interest for this option, let me know so I can write a small tutorial on our wiki.
It wouldn't hurt to have this tutorial ...if you have time for it of course.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Darkelarious wrote: If you have an internet connection with more than 50kbps upload (not kidding) and an old PC (64MB ram/500Mhz or more), you can make your own dedicated server. It is simple to install a skeleton version of Linux (some patience/endurance required) that gives you full access to your UT server.
Bingo ! Now I'm happy to see real good information posted.

This is UT'99 which is often confused now days with other things... even forum is confused with UT4.org at a moment, LOL.

And the rest... Such server won't run too many "maps" having 80 MB+ the rest of stuff - which is not for UT'99 anyway... Using quotes because those are just files not maps and have bugs as long as an extra big volume doesn't include a detailed check for each corner. And then if you don't believe me show me some stuff...
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

papercoffee wrote:
Darkelarious wrote:If there is interest for this option, let me know so I can write a small tutorial on our wiki.
It wouldn't hurt to have this tutorial ...if you have time for it of course.
Yeah that. ;)
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

papercoffee wrote:It wouldn't hurt to have this tutorial ...if you have time for it of course.
One tutorial coming up... (will edit/post later with link).

At the risk of hijacking this thread, anyone with an old computer/laptop willing to test if my tutorial is accurate/correct and accessible for people to understand?

EDIT: I posted a first draft on the 333networks wiki: http://wiki.333networks.com/index.php/T ... n_On_Linux
I only got to the part of a clean/working linux installation, hopefully with a description good enough for everybody to understand. It's a lot simpler/faster to do the steps, than to describe them ;)
This is perhaps also a good moment to invite people to the 333networks wiki to help editing and filling in content. Please contact noccer for access to the wiki. Your help will be very very much appreciated when I get to the part of configuring the router and installing the UT server on linux.
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

cutieroo4 wrote:I'm thinking about nfoservers.com, could a price of $12.14 really be legit?

great host we use them :)
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
cutieroo4
Average

Post by cutieroo4 »

I'm just going to rent the server.
Thanks for everyone's help, you've been amazing.
Is it time for waffles?