Recommended VDS?

Discussions about Servers
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Recommended VDS?

Post by Chamberly »

Do anyone have a recommended Virtual Dedicated Server?
Not a virtual private server... I think it's strange? or whatever to prove what is better between the two?

I'm looking for one to manage and host my server on. I have no experience of using a VDS so I'm guessing thing might turn the screw left and right in the process if I don't do it right and don't want to end up paying $200 an hour for a technician to fix that lol. (That $200 an hour for a technician to fix is a reference from NFO dedicated server, so maybe NO. lol)

Got pretty fed up with the server host I'm dealing with as they are not doing what they are suppose to do, so I'm looking forward to just use a VDS if I find any reasonable one. I'm pretty strict with who I'm giving access too so this is my thing.

Here is what I'm looking for to use in a VDS:
Hosting UT99 servers. Probably 2.
Dual (or 2) core is a nice option, will be using both on a server instead of just 1 core. XC_GE will manage this.
Own redirect.
I don't mind using the Windows OS. Linux will let me have a big hot mess, I'm not too experienced with it so it may be pretty bad lol. None in Mac.
Anything else that I should mention?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Re: Recommended VDS?

Post by noccer »

Virtual private server and virtual dedicated server are just 2 different names for the same thing.

While a Dedicated server (also called root server) is 1 machine that you "own".
You have complete access to this machine (you just cant touch the hardware).

A Virtual private server/Virtual dedicated server/Virtual server/Vserver/Virtual root server (and so on)
is just a one in a number of virtual operating systems on one machine, you share all hardware with ..... up to dozens of people.

I had both, but the virtual stuff always made some problems, mostly when other customers ran backups or whatever they do.

Maybe you start with some virtual, jsut to learn using it and rent a dedi then.

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

Ah.

What are the common problem with VDS/VS/etc?
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

From time to time there have been some "hiccups", mostly in the night, when backups have been made

Like Gameservers freezes for a second and works normal, freeze, normal etc...

Yo, that was the ... THE problem i had with it.

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

VDS have dedicated resources which are sold as guaranteed to have the resources sold, available to you/your instances.

VPS have shared resources, typically very low resources on oversold boxes with the burstable or sold amount rarely ever available.

VDS would be the way to go. However, if you are new to server management, I'd suggest you get someone experience on board. I'm happy to help where I can but I can't dedicate the amount of time required to achieve quick turn arounds on problems.

I have something you could use at NFO with their VDS - if you are serious about getting one. Some good relations allow good discounts....

If you get a VDS and you want an easy to use non windows platform with a Linux kernel, I'd suggest you use proxmox.
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

Thanks. I could look at the NFO's VDS. Discounts are always good!

I think one of the main thing setting up in VDS is the security (by what is needed? Anti-virus? LOL).
Then installing the server is just not a problem... but still could stick to Windows os.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

If you've never ran (run?...not sure) a server box then expect it to take a couple of weekends learning before you will be firing up a server, more if you go cheap and use a linux distro. It's more expensive to get a windows server but it's far more user friendly. If you are really comfortable with using command line then it may be easier for you.

It's way, way easier to rent a dedicated server from someone like Gameservers. I pay 12 bucks a month for a server and an off-site redirect. If you absolutely need a website then there are free/very cheap alternatives all over the place.

If you get a VDS then it's almost solely due to wanting to learn server management rather than it being a viable alternative to running a gaming server. It's got a fairly steep learning curve so expect it not to work and you'll have to figure out why.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

Well gonna post a little update here.

I finally got down to my first VDS from DigitalOcean. Server is Ubuntu of my choice but they do offer different other choices.
They also offer free credit so you can try it out.

I'll leave a link here. https://www.digitalocean.com/
Chris
Experienced

Post by Chris »

GameServers.com is just a big scam. I'd also recomment Vultr (google it) they have very low prices, offer both HDD and SSD solutions, nice hardware plans that are actually useful, many dufferent locations of your choice. And what caught me was the fact that you can upload your own image file for your own choice of operating system, just like you would do on your own computer. They have a native remote desktop so you can see everything starting from the bios. Plus the first time you add credit they double it.
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

I do also not like gameservers at all lol.

Yes I've heard of Vultr a bit, almost like DigitalOcean. I thought about going to it but it sounded a bit too true 2breal. Oh well, I can do it next time after I get done reviewing DO. :)

Thanks for letting me know about the credit. That's something good there.

Ps. VDS virginity is broken finally. Took awhile but gotta make a move to see how it works. lel :help: