2 questions about servers

Discussions about Servers
zekgodoy

2 questions about servers

Post by zekgodoy »

Hello there! I've been playing this game intermittently since it came out, and I just came back after a long break. I usually played online on the automatic filled server list. This time however I want to play with some friends and a few questions came out to my mind.
1) are the default servers list the only ones I can use? I mean, can I manually add others wich are not shown in the main list when I go to 'find online games'? I ask this because I saw some forum post like "NEW SERVER HERE" and so I wonder if they are automatically added to the list or I have to add them manually.
2) Does 'start new multiplayer game' works to create my own server/match? I want to use my own setting when playing with my friends. I have not tested myself because I have no people yet to check if they can see the match/server on the list. But I've been looking and read things like "port forwarding" and other technical stuff I dont understand. I'm just looking for an easy option, so using 3rd party software or do complicated network tweaks is something I dont want to.

Please excuse me if those things are already discussed or if I misspell something, english is not my main language and sometimes I have trouble when searching for info or using keywords. Thanks in advance
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: 2 questions about servers

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

zekgodoy wrote:Hello there! I've been playing this game intermittently since it came out, and I just came back after a long break. I usually played online on the automatic filled server list. This time however I want to play with some friends and a few questions came out to my mind.
1) are the default servers list the only ones I can use? I mean, can I manually add others wich are not shown in the main list when I go to 'find online games'? I ask this because I saw some forum post like "NEW SERVER HERE" and so I wonder if they are automatically added to the list or I have to add them manually.
2) Does 'start new multiplayer game' works to create my own server/match? I want to use my own setting when playing with my friends. I have not tested myself because I have no people yet to check if they can see the match/server on the list. But I've been looking and read things like "port forwarding" and other technical stuff I dont understand. I'm just looking for an easy option, so using 3rd party software or do complicated network tweaks is something I dont want to.

Please excuse me if those things are already discussed or if I misspell something, english is not my main language and sometimes I have trouble when searching for info or using keywords. Thanks in advance
1) The server list depends from a master server list that certain servers, according to the Unreal Tournament network managers, own. There's a file into your UnrealTournament->System folder called "UnrealTournament.ini", there are stored some informations about the master server lists you want retieve.
For example, one of the master server is called "333networks", some new admins, insert their own server inside this 333network server list, and you can retrive this server list as master server list inside your UnrealTournament.ini, here there's a guide for it: http://wiki.333networks.com/index.php/C ... Tournament.
You can set more than one master server lists inside your UnrealTournament.ini but, if I remember good, you can't set more than 4 or 5 master server lists.
2) Yes it works, throught LAN or sending your server informations inside a master server list, using UnrealTournament.ini or submitting your server to the admins of a master server list(sometimes it can be done just by submitting it without contact admins of that master server list).
If you decide to play it in LAN, but your friends cannot connect on LAN with you, you all could of use a VPN(purpose is to connect people through a network, as it is a WLAN network), For example, you could use "Tunngle" for free(http://www.tunngle.net/it), or "Hamachi" buying it.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
zekgodoy

Post by zekgodoy »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:
zekgodoy wrote:Hello there! I've been playing this game intermittently since it came out, and I just came back after a long break. I usually played online on the automatic filled server list. This time however I want to play with some friends and a few questions came out to my mind.

1) The server list depends from a master server list that certain servers, according to the Unreal Tournament network managers, own. There's a file into your UnrealTournament->System folder called "UnrealTournament.ini", there are stored some informations about the master server lists you want retieve.
For example, one of the master server is called "333networks", some new admins, insert their own server inside this 333network server list, and you can retrive this server list as master server list inside your UnrealTournament.ini, here there's a guide for it: http://wiki.333networks.com/index.php/C ... Tournament.
You can set more than one master server lists inside your UnrealTournament.ini but, if I remember good, you can't set more than 4 or 5 master server lists.
2) Yes it works, throught LAN or sending your server informations inside a master server list, using UnrealTournament.ini or submitting your server to the admins of a master server list(sometimes it can be done just by submitting it without contact admins of that master server list).
If you decide to play it in LAN, but your friends cannot connect on LAN with you, you all could of use a VPN(purpose is to connect people through a network, as it is a WLAN network), For example, you could use "Tunngle" for free(http://www.tunngle.net/it), or "Hamachi" buying it.
Thanks for your help! At this moment, I am about to add the 333networks server. I didn't imagine it worked that way. I will try to add 1 or 2 more, do you know if there any others that are good to add? About the 2 answer, I think I won't try to do my own server for now. Maybe I will try later, now I'm happy with the idea of adding more masterservers. Thanks again for your clear answer
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

zekgodoy wrote:
PrinceOfFunky wrote:

Thanks for your help! At this moment, I am about to add the 333networks server. I didn't imagine it worked that way. I will try to add 1 or 2 more, do you know if there any others that are good to add? About the 2 answer, I think I won't try to do my own server for now. Maybe I will try later, now I'm happy with the idea of adding more masterservers. Thanks again for your clear answer
Np :D
I know an host that gives you a VPN for free, at the condition that you renew it every month(with a code they give you, not money XD). But they were closing the server forever cause no one bought the premium host... ...Well, they just shutdown it: http://haphost.com/
Idk other masterserver lists, but I know there are many others, just do a research on the web :)
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"