Unreal Tournament Dedicated Server setup help

Discussions about Servers
adamplay
Novice

Unreal Tournament Dedicated Server setup help

Post by adamplay »

hi i want to put a small Unreal Tournament bunny track server together i have a old desktop pc that i am not using its (AMD Athlon II 64bit 2GB of ram and like 500gb hard drive)
1st thing i tryed was putting ubuntu-14.10-desktop-i386 did not work well at all was way to slow so i tryed ubuntu-12.04.5-desktop-amd64 that is working ok i think its a bit slow if u ask me. i am new to linux. i looked all over google not that helpfull for what i want so 1st thing i need is a lightweight linux operating system that can running a Unreal Tournament Dedicated Server.
2st step how do i set Unreal Tournament Dedicated Server up i need doweloads i have look around i got the BTPlusPlusv096 but i can not find things like mapvoteing server rec time... yes and i need map packs. i tryed to look for tutorial no luck haha i need tutorial that say how to do this and why we do it this way
ty 4 your time pls help
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Re: Unreal Tournament Dedicated Server setup help

Post by Darkelarious »

I have a bit of trouble reading/understanding your post. Please consider using proper GB/US English, it would help a lot with solving your problems.
adamplay wrote:i am new to linux. i looked all over google not that helpfull for what i want so 1st thing i need is a lightweight linux operating system that can running a Unreal Tournament Dedicated Server.
http://wiki.333networks.com/index.php/T ... stallation
Arch Linux is lightweight, all controlled over terminal. Comes in 32bit and 64bit. Requires patience, reading and understanding.
adamplay wrote:2st step how do i set Unreal Tournament Dedicated Server up
http://wiki.333networks.com/index.php/T ... n_On_Linux
Read, execute, celebrate.
adamplay wrote:i need doweloads i have look around i got the BTPlusPlusv096 but i can not find things like mapvoteing server rec time... yes and i need map packs.
http://ut-files.com/index.php?dir=GameT ... nnyTracks/
http://ut-files.com/index.php?dir=Maps/BunnyTrack/
There are plenty of mappacks and maps distributed over different forums.

Keep in mind that we can only hand you the tools, you will have to build/set up your server on your own, we can only provide feedback/places where to find information.
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
adamplay
Novice

Post by adamplay »

thank you i will look in to this.
i am a kiwi for new zealand sorry about my English
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Hello Kiwi! :)

I think the info Darkelarious provided would be very helpful. I am trying to set up ubuntu on my flash drive and try to set up wine in there so I can jump in the boat to set up UT in linux. lol.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
adamplay
Novice

Post by adamplay »

hi again i need help lol i get up to the 1st reboot after the (grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg) when i reboot i can not get back in to PuTTY i get access denied
i do not know why.
i want to fix this be4 i go on to the next bit
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Depending on configuration direct ssh login as root may not be allowed. Can you log in as a non privileged user? Also your provider should be able to help you with this issue.

Another option for setting up a server is to build it up in a local hosted virtual machine with the OS you are going to use later. The advantage is that you have full control over all settings. If your server is running smooth then you can rsync the UT installation.

Cheers,
Barbie
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

adamplay wrote:i get up to the 1st reboot after the (grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg) when i reboot i can not get back in to PuTTY i get access denied
Checklist:
1. Does rebooting bring you back to the installer of the USB disk, or to the harddisk on which you installed it, e.g. does it also start without the USB disk?
2. Before rebooting, did you set a root password ("passwd") and/or did you make a new user to which to login?
3. Did you try logging in on the physical machine (keyboard, screen plugged into the server) before logging in from PuTTy? Is the SSH daemon enabled (at startup) and running?
4. As Barbie said, did you already get to the part where you disabled the root user over SSH? In that case, just log in at the physical machine and create a new user á la wiki.
5. Did the server change IP addresses after rebooting? DHCP can do that, depending on the settings in your router. Either consider setting a static IP, or look in your router configuration for the DHCP settings and lease time.

Good luck!
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...