[Solved] File name case problems on *ix redirect server

Discussions about Servers
Barbie
Godlike

[Solved] File name case problems on *ix redirect server

Post by Barbie »

Just as an info if you use a *ix (Unix, Linux, ...) server for redirection:

Recently players could not join to an UT server, because the UT server itself rejects sending files, and the redirected server says HTTP 404 - not found. In fact the file was there but different in spelling (usually *ix takes care of of file name case). In detail the UT server required the file 'Dusk.utx.uz' to load, but the file name on the redirect server was 'dusk.utx.uz' and so it said "can not find that file 'Dusk.utx.uz'" (404).

No the idea of making file search case insensitive on the http redirect server (here Apache) comes into my mind - but failed in result also, because Apache then responses with HTTP status 301 (Moved Permanently) and sends the new file name within the response. But the good old UT does not seem to understand that and says again: Server rejected to send file... Furthermore you may not have access to the http servers configs on rented servers.

So the fastest and most efficient solution is to create a hard or soft link in the redirect directory: ln -s dusk.utx.uz Dusk.utx.uz
If you don't have shell access to your redirect server, upload a duplicate file with the matching name beside the original one.

Hope it helps anyone.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Higor
Godlike

Re: [Solved] File name case problems on *ix redirect server

Post by Higor »

What UT version is the server on?
EDIT: correction.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

The UT servers version is 451, but the UT server itself does not complain about Dusk.utx which is in fact named dusk.utx. I think the problem is more related to the redirect server.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Aha.
Did you know the server can give the correct filename to clients for download? Even on Windows servers using Unix redirects.
The case is, you gotta take a look at what's up with servers lately and either adhere to limitations or overcome them.

Your redirect doesn't associate filenames with files due to case inconsistancies? How do we overcome that?
- Make the redirect server cache the file list (double entry mode) with real filenames and upper case filenames, have it perform lookup on upper case names exclusively and deliver the associated 'real' file. I mean it shouldn't be so difficult to grab an open source provider to do that.
- Migrate the redirect to windows.
- Make UT give clients a filename with correct case letters.

Question number two, what's pushing you to specifically use version 451?
Is there anything I can do to cover up for that horrible mess of a patch?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

First of all, this special problem is solved by a soft link on redirect server and has now low priority for me.

To judge where that issue is located, I need to think about the process of interaction while a map change. I guess it is the following (assumed the UT server redirects all files) :
1) The server tells the client to travel to a specific map and sends the client the URL.
2) The client asks the server given in the URL for the file given in the URL (the map). <edit>(If not available local)</edit>
3) The UT Server redirects the client.
4) The client loads the map from redirect server.
5) The client inspects the map resources (Music, Textures, etc.) and, if not available locally, asks the UT server for sending it.
6) The UT server redirects that request.
7) The client loads the resource from redirect server.
If this processing is true, the problem is located in step 2: the map contains a resource name that differs in case.

But before I write more about this concern I need to know whether that processing is right guessed by me. :confused2:
Last edited by Barbie on Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Higor wrote:Question number two, what's pushing you to specifically use version 451?
In my general IT experience a software release with a higher version number is "better" than that releases before (except the versions with a "0" in it ;-)
I was advised to downgrade to 436 several times here in this forum, but no one has given a comprehensible reason for it - only statements that that version was buggy. I have noticed the advises and I'm keeping them in mind, but as long as I detect no issues and see that version running fine, I feel no need to downgrade it.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote:but no one has given a comprehensible reason for it
I'm telling you something enough comprehensive, one of bitch problems in Win Os is PlayerCanSeeMe() which happens really often in 451. For the rest of crashes ask Mars007 about his opinion toward 451 on Linux. I won't host nothing like this on Linux. LetterCase troubles doesn't even exist in Win systems + tickrate is pretty solid by default. The rest of new exploits of 451 can be described by Anthrax + you can look for descriptions yourself.
Second problem for which I was nasty annoyed: WHAT exactly was fixed in ShowPath() by amazing UTPG team ? Nothing ! Read again - Nothing. What exactly can do 451 better than 436 + XC_Engine + XC_Core? Collisions, AdjustAim bla bla, Some dumb offset crashing ? If you like 451, keep it, nobody will cry.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Well, here my opinion about v451.

Even for *ix, the comparison for v436 + XC_GameEngine & add ons for XC_GE is greater than the v451(a/b/c?/whatever) because of several fixed/fixing features, more support and ongoing, and currently in the work to prevent any other errors and things that have rather should've been implemented. I may be a hugh fan of XC_GameEngine, but the extra things being able to do is just downright real. & for that, v451 isn't updated anymore, so it's safe to switch to v436 and install XC_GameEngine. There is few *ix servers using v436 because of this now. It has been a party. lol.

Sure, there might have been some needy support on *ix but reporting it and working on it is more rewarding to achieve than just using v451.

Ah yeah, sorry for going off topic. :!:
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

And some VodooMagic to complete a less logic explanations of bugs.
Human beings have EYES. Given these default features, some curious people will READ explanations from forums and all CRAP involved.
Will be a matter of days (or hours) for developing "tools" to crash those servers just for fun and make ADMINS mad.
I know instances of those old crashes and even how to stuck a default "great classic" server (MH is a perfect match because is a Stupid Garbage after all even if is cute at concept - so to speak a whore - beautiful and nasty) and I prefer to not speak louder in a special section - preferable hidden random sentences.
So do not expect to see wise explanations after all, neither a <comprehensible reason> helping evils. Even I found a "how to" attempt DDoS + tools which I found. Links ? Immediately, just wait me 200 years...