Critical Error on client while redirected download

Discussions about Servers
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Critical Error on client while redirected download

Post by sektor2111 »

Shrimp has source-code on his site (or still had it ?). If not look for source-code at Medor and compile a clean MH file ONLY in your modding copy of game. That clean build won't disappoint you. Or use alternate PM.

Edit > I have to scan now how many files are tiny as a louse and used in Levels and their alias in redirect, LOL. Perhaps Not today.
Chris
Experienced

Post by Chris »

When the file is compiled, does it run properly?
The Huffman algorithm is used for lossless text compression pretty much.
A "compressed" file can become bigger than its original if there isn't much to compress, instead you get the opposite effect with a bunch of overhead data.
Try compressing a zip file over and over for example and you'll see what I mean.
One thing to test;
Take the original u. file, compress it, then decompress it again (all using ucc) and compare the results. If the data is any different then there is a bug in the .uz codec.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

It's the same problem with this > relicsbindings.zip
Here also is the size of the compressed file (relicsbindings.u.uz, 669 bytes) bigger than uncompressed file (relicsbindings.u, 564 bytes).
Looks like happens at small files.
The probability of having a compression rate of above 100% raises with the smallness of files (assuming "normal" content). I bet the problem also occurs at any size if you take incompressible content for the file.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

With your permission I'll develop a tutorial for myself:
sektor-dumbass to do >
- get rid of all UZ files from redirect and server - Now I know why some quality german gaming services were setting up

Code: Select all

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=some_tricky_link_right_to_game_folders 
ProxyServerHost=
ProxyServerPort=3128
UseCompression=False
UseCompression=False, I believe those guys have respectful years of experience in gaming > UT.
They were knowing this issue.

Given XC_Engine I can remove redirect for [IpDrv.HTTPDownload] but I can keep it for LZMA.

[XC_IpDrv.XC_HTTPDownLoad]
RedirectToURL=SomeAdress
ProxyServerHost=
ProxyServerPort=3128
UseCompression=True
So LZMA being another stuff (of course I'll do tests) won't suffer... Else I can quit using any compression. Right these days I was thinking at tiny stuff, so I was about to do trash for myself.
I will release a bunch of space wasted with files, even I had that above file in redirect. If such file is in a Level will mock clients. Seeking small louses in redirect and server will take time, so I prefer no UZ compression for redirect with meaning NO Redirect.
Thank you, Barbie for this grave find and Thank you, Higor for XC stuff which will solve this problem. And, thanks again EPIC :loool: for that line 324 which no one could mess it much better.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Double check that your cache is completely cleared before you go testing all this. I've went down this road a couple of times trying to suss out why a file would be on the redirect as one size then decompress to another. It ended up being
-the file was lurking in my cache in a couple of different size versions
-the redirect file suffered from the capitalization issue on linux redirects and it was sending a different file than I assumed I was getting.

I've done a shit ton of compressing and decompressing and I've never seen the engine fail at the process and do a bad version. I'd look around for other things to pin it on.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

JackGriffin wrote:Double check [...]
-the file was lurking in my cache [...]
-the redirect file suffered from the capitalization issue on linux redirects [...]
Additionally I work in a mixed Windows/Samba (development), Linux (test server in a VM) and again Windows/Samba (test client in a VM) networked environment where even some more caching and locking problems can come in, I know that. But I'm quite sure that I can exclude these as a pitfall, because different files lead to different result groups and this won't happen if always the same file were used.
And of course I cleaned the clients cache (and I mentioned it in the description in series of tests).
JackGriffin wrote:I've done a shit ton of compressing and decompressing and I've never seen the engine fail at the process
But that is not the point. Compressing and decompression works fine, even if the compressed file has a ratio > 100%. The problem is the behaviour of the client if compression ratio is greater than 100%.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I didn't deeply read the thread, just kind of skimmed it. I see the issue now and yeah this is odd. BTW, here's an MH that will compile for you to use
recompiled.zip
(363.36 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Just put it into your folder to use when you need to compile an MH dependent mod then replace it with the stock one when you are done. The zip is passworded only because I don't want to post something that creates a bunch of version mismatches when people who don't understand what it is end up posting it to servers and redirects. This monsterhunt.u is made from Shrimp's complete source code (just goes to show why it's never a bad idea to ask :rock: ) If you want to use it just PM me and I'll give you the password.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Simple test - file involved "relicsbindings.u" uploaded previously. Add it in serverpackages and remove it from client (if exists). Fire server, join, download, "ENJOY"... I sent to Barbie a PM.

About what you were saying for any mismatch. If I have files only in cache I can assure you I won't lose them. Why ?
1) I'm not purging/uncaching cache;
2) I have big UXX files marked Read-Only - for avoiding 3 years of downloads and deleting them by any sort of "mod" able to handle them (a backup is a bless after all).

Last advice: Files under 1 kb can be marked Read-Only too - and keep them in cache if are not a stock (except skins and player-tools) - THIS is a default rule for client, ignoring it makes UT to punish you.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Another candidate crossed my way, found in map "MH-GiantBoss1":
SizeOf(Blank.umx): 481
SizeOf(Blank.umx.uz): 553
which leads to a compression ratio of 114% and therefore causes a GPF on clients while downloading.

My solution was changing the music file to "null48.umx" in the map and saving it with a different name.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

The question is if worth effort to create a list with these lousy files... else now I'm totally convinced to forget UZ.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Thanks for the developer version of MonsterHunt.u. But if I join a normal server, I get of course a file mismatch and I have to replace MonsterHunt.u by the original. I'm not a friend of manual repeating tasks and so I put this switching between developer and original version into a small (windows) batch script:
MonsterHunt.u-Change.cmd

@echo off
rem *** Adapt this to your needs ***

SET FILE_DEVELOP=D:\Programme\UT\System\MonsterHunt-develop.u
SET FILE_ORIGINAL=D:\Programme\UT\System\MonsterHunt-original.u
SET MONSTERHUNT_U=D:\Programme\UT\System\MonsterHunt.u

rem *** No changes below needed ***

if not exist "%FILE_DEVELOP%" (
	SET MISSINGFILE="%FILE_DEVELOP%"
	goto ErrFileMissing
)

if not exist "%FILE_ORIGINAL%" (
	SET MISSINGFILE="%FILE_ORIGINAL%"
	goto ErrFileMissing
)

if "%1" == "develop" (
	set COPYFILE=%FILE_DEVELOP%
	goto DoFileCopy
)

if "%1" == "original" (
	set COPYFILE=%FILE_ORIGINAL%
	goto DoFileCopy
)

goto ErrWrongSyntax

:DoFileCopy
echo Installing %1 version of %MONSTERHUNT_U%...
copy "%COPYFILE%" "%MONSTERHUNT_U%"
pause
goto end

:ErrWrongSyntax
echo Syntax: %0 ^<develop^|original^>
echo to install the developer or original version of MonsterHunt.u
pause
goto end

:ErrFileMissing
echo Error: file %MISSINGFILE% not found 
pause
goto end

:end
Finally I've created two links to this file, one with the parameter "normal", the other with parameter "develop", and now switching between versions is done by just double clicking on one of the links.

Maybe this is useful for someone else. :wink:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote:I'm not a friend of manual repeating tasks
Neither me... I'M using a clean client for playing and another UT copy for Testing/Moding - unless you want only troubles - NOT only that U will return mismatch, there are more and I intend to fix more crap which were crashing servers...
I'm also setting up UXX files from cache READ-ONLY and I have right there 2 MonsterHunt.u files in UXX format which weren't been ever a headache from cache, LOL.

Imagine that if community will scream louder for MHv505 and a few others have suggestions (bug reports) I'll start coding/fixing that instantly, - because I know a couple of A.I. related bugs in v5.04.

UT has measures against NON-Stock mismatch but people seems to not understand what is about neither in 50 years from now on... :omfg:

MH browser Tab can be created with UT itself by tweaking 2 files as described in this forum - fully operational. So why I need to mess with MonsterHunt.u file in System folder from my client after all ?
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

Critical error contains in the text what ut did produced error on or with hufman code.
It has somnething todo with compression or decompression from a file.
You can see it on the line wich error code did apear.
fcodec.h line 324
hope this help
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

And that's a native thing not an UScript. For fixing are needed a couple of things:
- source-code of UT - not an easy find and deal;
- skill with C++ in order to figure what kind of sanity check needs added;
- perhaps some lousy copyleft things related to a wreck which should be fixed years ago...
- work to convince players to update their UT to a newer patch ( they ignore even XC_Engine and were still using 2600 netspeed ) so... good luck.

At this moment solution is simple: No UZ usage as professionals from NGZ, and patience until will get magically fixed in a future age or another dimension.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

For anyone which look at cause of issue: viewtopic.php?p=122256#p122256
In short: UT contains bug, which cause download only first N bytes of .uz file. Where N is size of uncompressed file. So if compressed file bigger from original, it is downloaded partially and can not be decoded. Fixed at least in v469.