[Updates] Diabolis.net - 24/7 EXU2 v6.00 Server

Discussions about Servers
jaypeezy
Experienced

Re: [Updates] Diabolis.net - 24/7 EXU2 v6.00 Server

Post by jaypeezy »

Okay, three main updates today - it's been a while, too busy with stuff going on in life (good stuff, though!)
  • - I'm 99% certain I fixed the redirect. Performed a test with and without the redirect enabled to make sure, it's a night and day difference. Part of the issue was that one package, 'Mier1snds.uax' couldn't be downloaded from the redirect, because the .uz file I had for that sound package was named differently (mier1snds.uax). What a frustrating problem... anyway, easy enough to fix.
  • - For good measure, I threw all the .uz files into a sub-folder on the redirect webserver. Probably won't make much of a difference. Also, compressed all the ServerPackages files from the original copies (on the server!) to make sure it wasn't a mismatch (which would cause it to download the files straight from the server, not the redirect, I believe). Also set MaxDownloadSize to 0.
  • - I've renovated my website, check out Diabolis.net to see! I'm taking a liking to static site generators lately.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Server seems to be working very nice.

Played 5 matches tonight on it.
Bot are very mean, but I won 3 out of the 5 matches, so can't complain much about that I guess.

Play is VERY fast on there. And there are so many monsters about, that quite often I did not even have
time to shoot, let alone switch weapons before I was killed. Which was a bit frustrating at times...

I would suggest either adding a few seconds of spawn protection, or reducing the quantity of monsters just a bit. (Not much...)

Other than that, the variety of monsters and EXU guns works real nice I think.

Part of the issue was that one package, 'Mier1snds.uax' couldn't be downloaded from the redirect, because the .uz file I had for that sound package was named differently (mier1snds.uax). What a frustrating problem... anyway, easy enough to fix.
Also set MaxDownloadSize to 0.
This bit is very interesting...

Almost 2 years ago when I moved my servers from Linux 440 back to a Windows box running mostly stock 436 UT, I made a number of various adjustments
to some of the ini files in a very sloppy fashion, just trying stuff out.

Shortly after that players were reporting various mismatches on files, that were on the redirect, and had been there for years. (Same remote redirect, just new actual server....)
Client error was either Refusal to Send or Mismatch.
Only way to fix it was to change the the case of the filename on the redirect. Then it would download. It pissed me off for months, and none of it made any sense.

Eventually after slowly undoing some of the sloppy config tweaks I had done while I was moving the servers over, I set MaxDownloadSize back down to 0.
All the bizarre and seemingly random issues with sudden mismatches on files due to case issues in the filenames stopped right away.

It still doesn't make any sense to me, but now that somebody else has reported the exact same issue, I thought I would mention it.

Tip to server admins: If you have a redirect, put EVERYTHING out there, and set MaxDownloadSize to 0.
blarg
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

MrLoathsome wrote:Tip to server admins: If you have a redirect, put EVERYTHING out there, and set MaxDownloadSize to 0.
You won't need to with XC_Engine.

Jay, have you ever tried XC_Engine and see how it work out on the server? I'd like to know what are some feedback, both pro and con. Just would like to see how you would experiment with it if you want to fiddle around with something. Would be helpful to me.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

MrLoathsome wrote:Tip to server admins: If you have a redirect, put EVERYTHING out there, and set MaxDownloadSize to 0.
But stay away from (usually small) files which compression rate is above 100%: Critical Error on client while redirected download.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

ballowdownloads needs to be false as well.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

If you don't allow downloads and redirect has an technical outage player will never enter in server... that's a "Never Do That" for me. Just let player to download needed files from wherever he can.
RocketJedi
Inhuman

Post by RocketJedi »

sektor2111 wrote:If you don't allow downloads and redirect has an technical outage player will never enter in server... that's a "Never Do That" for me. Just let player to download needed files from wherever he can.
then downloads will sometimes be VERY slow and cause players to disconnect. I wont ever play on a server with slow downloads becuase allow downloads is set to true. Redirects never go down. lets be real. if they do its very briefly and very rare. If anything use the XC engine redirect feature.
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Qwerty wrote:Redirects never go down. lets be real.
Yeah, very real, ask LoathSome what was noticing when monthly amount has been passed at rented redirect service.
RocketJedi
Inhuman

Post by RocketJedi »

sektor2111 wrote:
Qwerty wrote:Redirects never go down. lets be real.
Yeah, very real, ask LoathSome what was noticing when monthly amount has been passed at rented redirect service.
never had that problem ;) since we have unlimited with our host its maybe gone down for about 5 minutes in the last 7-9 years so you get what you pay for
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH