Where are the vanilla servers?

Discussions about Servers
LANguy
Novice

Where are the vanilla servers?

Post by LANguy »

I tried looking for an internet game yesterday and every game was riddled with custom maps and mods.

Am I doing something wrong or are vanilla servers a rare breed nowadays?

Haven't played in like 15 years so I'm out of the loop.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Re: Where are the vanilla servers?

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I think vanilla servers are really some rare breed nowadays, in fact. Vanilla UT99 is more than a decade old, what do you expect? People will get bored and make mods for it.

Unfortunately nobody has the "patience" to host a vanilla server, so to say... or am I wrong?

Maybe I can host a internet game for you. But I don't know how !
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Rich87
Novice

Post by Rich87 »

The closest vanilla server I found that is still active is called Dawn's Deathmatch Palace. It has a nice mix of vanilla and custom maps and the core gameplay and weapons are still intact.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

LANguy wrote:I tried looking for an internet game yesterday and every game was riddled with custom maps and mods.

Am I doing something wrong or are vanilla servers a rare breed nowadays?

Haven't played in like 15 years so I'm out of the loop.
I rarely play, but I fired up UT just to see. Joined a DM server, Deck16 with no mods (only special rule was the allweapon mutator). Must have been the third of fourth in the list. These servers definitely exist, even though it's true that most servers have a ton of custom maps and mods.
Gustavo6046 wrote:I think vanilla servers are really some rare breed nowadays, in fact. Vanilla UT99 is more than a decade old, what do you expect? People will get bored and make mods for it.

Unfortunately nobody has the "patience" to host a vanilla server, so to say... or am I wrong?

Maybe I can host a internet game for you. But I don't know how !
Why don't you just shut up when you have nothing to sayt but things completely false and bringing up things you don't know anything about?
You must construct additional pylons.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I haven't played online in a LONG time... but try these:
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/41722.html
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/35728.html
Gustavo6046 wrote:nobody has the "patience" to host a vanilla server, so to say... or am I wrong?
Pretty much, yes. I used to host LAN's that were fairly vanilla (unless you count MonsterMadness running a team of monsters that could potentially win a game).

Much as many of us love weapon-mods to death (rocky road) vanilla is less a strain on a server's bandwidth.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Just had a quick look and most of the servers running DM maps Barricade, Codex, Conveyor and Crane appear not to have any (or few) mutators, according to X-Browser. Didn't look beyond Crane.
LANguy
Novice

Post by LANguy »

OjitroC wrote:Just had a quick look and most of the servers running DM maps Barricade, Codex, Conveyor and Crane appear not to have any (or few) mutators, according to X-Browser. Didn't look beyond Crane.
Interesting, were they populated?

Maybe I should look into this x browser too, I am just using the built in browser.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The reason games like Unreal and UT are still played today is custom content.
Finding a server that does not go over the top can be difficult, but there are several "Pure" servers.
Look for servers running Deck-16 or CTF-Face, and you will find some people trapped in a time-bubble.
If you click on the server you should be able to see what mutators are running.

What do you consider to be vanilla ?
The GOTY edition comes with a bunch of mutators and mods.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

LANguy wrote: Interesting, were they populated?

Maybe I should look into this x browser too, I am just using the built in browser.
I didn't notice - I suspect mostly not populated as that seems to be the case with the majority of servers much of the time.

Yes, worth using X Browser as it gives more info about servers and has other useful functions, including a cache cleaner.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

LANguy wrote:Interesting, were they populated?
For what it's worth, my normal Deck16 server had 12 players when I joined.
You must construct additional pylons.
Hauss
Novice

Post by Hauss »

Same problem :( last time i cant find good vanilla server.Everywhere is custom maps or mods. :noidea :noidea
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Back in the early days I used to play on a vanilla server - hosted by clarinet in the UK I think.
A plain vanilla server, rotating the classics maps only. It was busy every night and just worked!

I actually miss it.

Anyway, I'm still an admin at Multiplay and can easily setup a vanilla server if there is enough interest.
Just let me know - we have 34 servers!! Most empty :|

Piley

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Muff_N
Novice
Personal rank: UT Stimulus Package!

Post by Muff_N »

Full Metal Jacket's Combat Arena has been my watering hole for classic maps and weapons since 2007 or so. Seems like this is one of the few left that is populated and rotates the classics, and the players there are from the same group of people I've fragged with going back to the vanilla servers of the early 00's. Check it out!
Muff_N
Novice
Personal rank: UT Stimulus Package!

Post by Muff_N »

Pileyrei wrote:Back in the early days I used to play on a vanilla server - hosted by clarinet in the UK I think.
A plain vanilla server, rotating the classics maps only. It was busy every night and just worked!

I actually miss it.

Anyway, I'm still an admin at Multiplay and can easily setup a vanilla server if there is enough interest.
Just let me know - we have 34 servers!! Most empty :|

Piley
This would be awesome! You have my vote!!!
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Servers are UK based so my US friends may suffer a bit.

I'll look into setting up a classic maps on rotation with nothing much loaded except the usual anti cheat stuff - not that it helps too much :lol:

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!