Weird traffic on server, last few days....

Discussions about Servers
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Re: Weird traffic on server, last few days....

Post by rjmno1 »

Yes the last time a few days ago the server was not good connected.
It was no lag but it was something else.
Maby they where atacking the master servers for ut99.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

He just gets salty from time to time B. He'll be okay in a few days. Loath has been through a lot lately.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

Damn, good luck fixing the hdd issue Loathsome :o
Just keep your head cool, maybe you overlooked something and otherwise I'm sure ppl here are willing to help!

I don't know if this helps with the DDOS attack in the log, but I remember there was a ServerCrashFix against DDOS:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6178
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Which reminds me... I had a backup made (quite outdated, 2 months old) of my native sources and headers folder.
Losing a server? Can be rebuilt.
Losing the source code of your native projects? I'll end up cutting my balls with a cookie.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Higor wrote:I'll end up cutting my balls with a cookie.
Not really sure how to process this. On one hand I laughed but then was intrigued. Then I thought it through and realized the absurdist logic but then that 'don't give up' part of me kicked in and thought "What if I overbake them and make the edges really crispy? Would that work?"

Then I felt stupid for overthinking it. Now I'm just sad, disgusted with myself, and a little weirded out by my brain.

And I want a cookie.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:
Higor wrote:I'll end up cutting my balls with a cookie.
Not really sure how to process this. On one hand I laughed but then was intrigued. Then I thought it through and realized the absurdist logic but then that 'don't give up' part of me kicked in and thought "What if I overbake them and make the edges really crispy? Would that work?"

Then I felt stupid for overthinking it. Now I'm just sad, disgusted with myself, and a little weirded out by my brain.

And I want a cookie.
:lol2: Give this man a cookie ...he deserves it.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

It's been going on four years now without sugar. I'd choke a puppy out in front of a group of young children if you said I could eat a single mediocre chocolate chip cookie.

And I am *not* joking.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

NO! The spambots used THE SERVERS to track OUR site down and do stuff! WE MUST STOP THEM!!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Higor wrote:Which reminds me... I had a backup made (quite outdated, 2 months old) of my native sources and headers folder.
Losing a server? Can be rebuilt.
Losing the source code of your native projects? I'll end up cutting my balls with a cookie.
Well hell. Unlike the people (crooks) who run the world, I have multiple backups of all the UT/Unreal stuff and other data.
Only thing I didn't have, was a mirror image of the drive. I was about 1-2 minutes away from getting that done. 1 reboot, I thought.

No way 3 IDE devices and 4 ribbon cables all die at the same minute. Particularly when some were not even connected to the machine at the
time. ATM, only thing that makes sense is that the IDE controller on the MB decided to die on me right at that point.
Only thing I haven't tried on that thing, is to clear the CMOS, and see if the bios finds anything on the IDE ports then. If not, that MB is dead.
It is a weird Server motherboard. Supports 2 P3 CPU's, 4gb ECC PC133 SDRAM. Has 2 IDE ports, and 1 floppy.
The ONLY slot it has is a PCI-X slot you can put a RAID card into, and I don't have one of those. Been running the thing with the IDE drive all these
years. Got the parts sitting here to rebuild the goddamn thing. If I am lucky, that original HDD is still ok, and the first thing I will do
is mirror it twice. Rebuilding the physical antique box is not an issue, but re-installing a linux that will work on this esoteric and antique
hardware would be a major pain in the ass. I REALLY wanted to get that drive cloned. :mad2:

Re: My Balls.
If I lost all my source, I would find a prostitute named named Cookie and pay her to cut them off for me.

Sorry if I seemed a bit pissed off yesterday, but I was. I had 2 cars die on me in the last 3 months. Had to replace vid
card fan and 2 ribbon cables on the crazy Raid 0 setup I got in my main desktop/development pc last week. (No problems with that...)
Anything I look at breaks and I have to waste time with it instead of trying to write stuff which is all I want to do. I am stressed.
Thanks to those who offered help, but I know what I have to do next, it just pisses me off.

Back on topic.

Perhaps my server is smarter than me and picked a good time to go offline for a while.
blarg
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

For cloning and backups I used this in my workplace...
https://www.google.de/search?q=hdd+docking+station
...there are cheaper models in you region for sure.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

MrLoathsome wrote:If not, that MB is dead.
That's what I guess. I've seen a (desktop) mother board in a server running 24/7 for years, but once powered down it never has started again. Broken capacitors for voltage regulation were an issue some years ago.
Why don't you use an IDE to USB or SATA adapter to get access to the data of your HDD? These adapters are quiet cheap (5-10 US $); I'm sure that an external HDD case with IDE to USB2.0 is available at eBay. I don't believe that all 3 IDE devices are broken, especially if they were not connected. And to damage a ribbon cable you must have done very special things...^^
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Those are good suggestions. I can tell you know what you are talking about.
However, I am more screwed than that. :loool:
I do have one of those cool USB external drive enclosures, but that server was the only
linux system I have running at the moment. Would have to install some version of
linux on one of my spare desktops in order to get a system that would be able to
read the ext3 filesystem or clone the drive. (If it is still ok...)
It will be easier to just slap together my backup hardware, and see if the drive will
boot on it. The data recovery is no issue as that is all backed up.
I just REALLY wanted a clone of that entire HDD that would boot that antique hardware.
Should have made that years ago.....

With the IDE adapter apparently dead, booting off a usb drive would do me no good.
Same as my cool linux Startup floppy. System will boot up fine off that, but there is no HDD
with a kernel to load...
The board does have a couple USB 1.1 ports, but no point in trying to boot off there if
the BIOS is not finding any IDE drives.....

Those solutions are great if your boot partition or MBR or grub gets all screwed up.
Not so much in this case.

If the BIOS/motherboard cant see the drive at POST, nothing on USB or floppy will see it either.

I should probably just let this system go, but I am sort of attached to it..... :(

Until about 5 years ago, I was running stuff on this thing that made me money.
It paid for about 1/3rd of my house. The UT servers on it were just a hobby, and something
for the server to do while it waited for other traffic.

I could put the UT servers back up on any of several other old winblows desktops I got here quickly, but haven't
decided yet if it is even worth the effort. Or which of my extra machines I would use.
blarg
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

MrLoathsome wrote: If the BIOS/motherboard cant see the drive at POST, nothing on USB or floppy will see it either.
Well, I'm not sure if this can help then. http://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/d ... sk-stable/
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

MrLoathsome wrote:Would have to install some version of
linux on one of my spare desktops in order to get a system that would be able to
read the ext3 filesystem or clone the drive. (If it is still ok...)
How about a live CD/DVD/stick? Linux works fine from those drives. In fact, backup tools like Macrium Reflect or Clonezilla should also be able to create bitwise clones of unknown partition types.
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

For statistical reference, I am experiencing the same on one of my servers:
http://333networks.com/ut/84.83.176.234:7748 with the mutators ServerAdds.ServerAdds and ZPServerA.zp_InstaGib

The routine is the same: join request, 20 seconds later it times out, going on and on:

Code: Select all

Open MyLevel Sun Feb  7 08:55:11 2016 5.189.139.32:40308
Open MyLevel Sun Feb  7 08:59:54 2016 5.189.139.32:49715
Open MyLevel Sun Feb  7 08:59:55 2016 5.189.139.32:56658
Open MyLevel Sun Feb  7 09:32:18 2016 5.189.139.32:46874
Open MyLevel Sun Feb  7 09:32:19 2016 5.189.139.32:34789
Open MyLevel Sun Feb  7 10:06:40 2016 5.189.139.32:52178
Open MyLevel Sun Feb  7 10:06:40 2016 5.189.139.32:40968
Open MyLevel Sun Feb  7 12:36:00 2016 5.189.139.32:47692
Open MyLevel Sun Feb  7 12:36:01 2016 5.189.139.32:56738
I also observed this from multiple IPs in the past. I did not check with this address, but the addresses in the past turned out to be Half Life 2 servers hosted at gameservers.com, they never replied to my request for clarification.

I also have 2 other UT servers on this address, neither of them have the same join requests spamming. My solution at the time as just to add them to the blocklist in IPTABLES.

I hope this information provided any insights.
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...