Looking for a modification that can log console commands

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
duzap

Looking for a modification that can log console commands

Post by duzap »

I have a Tactical Ops server which is a game based on the UT99 engine and we are dealing with some server crashers these days.
I am glad to say that for now we fixed some vulnerabilities they were using and now they're not able to crash our server anymore.
But unfortunately one of these vulnerabilities was not 100% fixed and they're still able to cause some lags to the server while they're inside. I am 100% sure that they use a script that spams some console commands (can be buying keybinds or whatever...), but the thing is that I need to know what commands they exactly use and then explain a coder I know how to reproduce this, so he can release a quick fix for me. That's why I am looking for a server modification that can log console commands of players, so I'll be able to detect what they're exactly doing. Does anyone of you knows about anything like this?

Thanks
Higor
Godlike

Re: Looking for a modification that can log console commands

Post by Higor »

If you manage to fix that XC_Engine setup, it can be possible to replace the functions almost entirely... redirect the code to a different actor where you can perform additional security checks.
We may need a script decompilation of TO to do that though.

The replacefunction feature IS the one solution to remote script call attacks.
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Looking for a modification that can log console commands

Post by sektor2111 »

At my current wick skills my first measures would be logging traffic data (UT is pretty RAW as I know so far) so you can see strings, different data. If something goes wrong at a moment you'll might figure bytes sent/received. By looking through that file perhaps you'll figure some unusual "data".
Also by using a keylogger menulogger as posted by Jack you will see some... key bounds. When those with strange key bounds are joining and server goes to crap you'll know that troubles happens because of Dude X. Dude X joined with some "exec", server went lagged. Eh, the guy is using something. Ban range for 2 weeks and see if problems are happening during this time. If not then tell us that range because we want him removed as well.
Else look after each join when troubles happens. After Dude X if server went bad then Dude X might have a problem. See other instance with Dude X. If happens all the time with the same guy, that one has a "weapon" damaging server.

If server is on Linux perhaps others can explain different methods.