Excessive Unreal Pawns: Volume 1

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
jaypeezy
Experienced

Excessive Unreal Pawns: Volume 1

Post by jaypeezy »

This small collection of scripted pawns adds a variety of new, challenging enemies with all the visual bells and whistles you can normally expect from Excessive Unreal 2: BI. Get ready to face three new families of enemies:

Bio Burster
Bloated, infected zombie-like enemies with a simple but deadly attack strategy: charge an enemy and detonate on impact, creating a cloud of poisonous gas in their wake.

Phase Entities
A subset of enemies that use teleportation technology to their advantage during combat. You’ll need eyes in the back of your head to defeat these foes.

Hover Bots
Two distinct classes of airborne turret systems - normal and heavy - in several classic “flavors” introduced in Excessive Unreal 2. Get them before they get you!

sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Excessive Unreal Pawns: Volume 1

Post by sektor2111 »

Thanks, first check ignited me to some action...
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

Yes! You finally released them.

Now I can give them a try.

I'm eyeing the turret guy.

Once I test them out, I'll be sure to post about any issues I come across.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Nice, it's been a long while since I have last seen true custom scripted pawns. :gj:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I mentioned one of these things in a post earlier, wasn't expecting to see them ready this soon.

Now to put them on a map to test them...
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UTNerd24
Adept
Personal rank: Professional Camper

Post by UTNerd24 »

You should've called the Sniper Hoverbot a "Loque Hoverbot"
That accuracy and sight radius is BEYOND broken. But its a great way to get to the top of the Sunspire in record time
I've been playing UT for so long it's practically tradition.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote:Now to put them on a map to test them...
Already tested - and EXU doesn't include errors so trash lover admins will suffer here a small deception.
UTNerd24 wrote:You should've called the Sniper Hoverbot a "Loque Hoverbot"
Loque is not a ScriptedPawn as these things are not exactly Bots, are monsters, I think they are sub-classes of EXUGasbag if I'm not mistaking and memory doesn't cheat me.

However, related to testing and doing some mapping I think they have way too many dependencies, EXU is required and download takes a lot. If map will include other things... it won't fit in servers with no good redirect or limited traffic. This part cannot really be ignored. Else this stuff is really good and challenging, I was playing using default MH setup with no regens and nothing as support... As another matter of fact EXU has in tech read-me written that it needs good display drivers (probably you can forget old default d3d - for maps only ?). I don't know if these pawns have issues with old original d3d (still used as I see so far) but if they do have rendering problems then this might be another weakness in hoping to not have faults at this point. Of course, I'm no longer using d3d for years.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote:As another matter of fact EXU has in tech read-me written that it needs good display drivers (probably you can forget old default d3d - for maps only ?).
From EXU:Batshit Insane Open Beta configuration information
The D3D8 and below renderers WILL NOT WORK with EXU; use EXUOpenGL or D3D10 (or better), both of which are included. Note that D3D9 works, but does not have uncapped drawdistance, which will completely fuck up certain maps.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Exactly, I read EXU's docs in big parts.
ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

Nice work, mind if I use the 2 robots' models in my RPG mod for Unreal Gold? I need a security drone a la N+ if anyone has every played it. I want to program them as security drones that will move slow and track the player if they see them, firing projectiles (laser orbs, beams, rockets, etc).
<<| http://uncodex.ut-files.com/ |>>

Code reference for UGold, UT99, Unreal2, UT2k3, UT3
Additional Beyond Unreal Wiki Links
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Console_Bar
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Exec_commands#Load
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Exec_Directive#Loading_Other_Packages
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Config_Vars_And_.Ini_Files
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File
jaypeezy
Experienced

Post by jaypeezy »

SilverSound wrote:Once I test them out, I'll be sure to post about any issues I come across.
Thanks, Silver! I'd be open to suggestions and room for improvement, I tried to test things as much as possible prior to release, but admittedly I don't know as much about UnrealScript as others here do so maybe there are things I didn't catch.
UTNerd24 wrote:You should've called the Sniper Hoverbot a "Loque Hoverbot"
That accuracy and sight radius is BEYOND broken. But its a great way to get to the top of the Sunspire in record time
:lol: Yes, I suppose the 'brokenness' of this pawn is not a bug but a feature. Excessive Unreal 2's whole thing is a strange type of balance that's very different from what you'd expect in vanilla Unreal/UT. For another example of this, try spawning the pawn EXU.SniperCharger.
sektor2111 wrote:Already tested - and EXU doesn't include errors so trash lover admins will suffer here a small deception.
Yes, there *may* be some things that don't behave as expected during netplay but I did run a test on my server using the pawns to see if anything apparent came up. Actually, the one thing I did go out of my way to fix was a small "bug" where, if the Hoverbot was floating too close above or below the player (as well as if it was greater than 1920 UU's away from the player), it would spam that laser beam targeting effect and degrade performance. It actually spawns that effect a lot less than I intended it to, and results in much better performance at least.
LannFyre wrote:Nice work, mind if I use the 2 robots' models in my RPG mod for Unreal Gold? I need a security drone a la N+ if anyone has every played it. I want to program them as security drones that will move slow and track the player if they see them, firing projectiles (laser orbs, beams, rockets, etc).
I'd be glad to see you incorporate this variety of pawn! However, the appearance of the robots is actually not a single model, but a proxy class slapped onto a transparent gasbag that consists of three different meshes - the torso, and the two missile launchers attached on either side. I imagine you could probably create/export a static mesh using the 227 Unreal editor, to create a similar result.