Nali Weapons 4

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
RetroEpoch
Average
Personal rank: The more the merrier

Re: Nali Weapons 4

Post by RetroEpoch »

papercoffee wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:45 pm
RetroEpoch wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:04 am I didn't know what Nali Weapons are until I saw a video. Could someone provide a link or something to learn what is Nali inside the UT universe, please?
You don't know Nali Weapons 3 ... here https://www.moddb.com/mods/nali-weapons-3
I don't, really. I always read about Nali, but that's it. You're going to make me trying that, I assume...
EvilGrins wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:17 am
RetroEpoch wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:04 amwhat is Nali inside the UT universe, please?
They're those aliens with the 4 arms.
Oh, I know what a Nali is, but not about the weapons.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

RetroEpoch wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:46 pm
EvilGrins wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:17 am
RetroEpoch wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:04 amwhat is Nali inside the UT universe, please?
They're those aliens with the 4 arms.
Oh, I know what a Nali is, but not about the weapons.
This help?
· https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/91426.html
· https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/82597.html
· viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3434&p=43986&hilit ... s+3#p43986

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
RetroEpoch
Average
Personal rank: The more the merrier

Post by RetroEpoch »

Holy f... This is TOO COOL bro... I have to try asap!!!!

Thank you!!!
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

If you want the full effect, that map is an edit for NW3.

Here ya go:
https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/106946.html

Weapons aren't embedded from Nali Weapons 3, it's for use with the mutator.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I just want to mention that Evilgrins' first screenshot is not representative of the mod.
Not sure if this lessens the hype or not, but NW3 is just a weapon pack, which server admins use mostly in Monsterhunt servers (although it can be used in any gametype).

It has some more stuff besides the weapons themselves (custom gore, modifiers system [popular in MH], nuke warnings, etc), but monsters aren't one of them.
The pack is quite big, so it takes a while to load the first time you boot them up.

And as far as further sequels go (like a NW4, the subject of this topic) it won't happen.
A NW4 with another big leap in quality would certainly be possible, meaning that a NW4 would certainly be a hell lot better than NW3 all around, but the time it would take to do it relative the end result is not worth it, I would rather spend that time do other kinds of weapon mods or other stuff for the game for example (not that I necessarily will, mind you, my free time is short).

At most, if I end up doing a different kind of weapon mod that I have been thinking about the last few years, with a very different concept at its root as well different dynamics, it would almost certainly be possible for anyone to somewhat "create" something close to a NW4 within it in a way by themselves, as well as any other kind of weapon mod (like Food Fight for example).

But the likelihood of that happening is, for the time being, very very low, even because such a mod has some other dependencies I would need to sort out first, and it's been hard to do so.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

habouji?
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Blade hunter
Average
Personal rank: Mod Dude

Post by Blade hunter »

lol on this one I think NW3 was a sort of pinacle achievement from the pack to be honest.
you have pretty much every concept pushed to their extremes. The particle effects were all sort of final versions compared to previous versions of NW
I played the mod since its first release where all weapons still used UT guns with textures, then we started to have proper models in NW2, then in version 3 we had all the cool stuff such as improved models gameplay and all sorts of customized goodies.
I would love seeing something new as a new weapon pack as I'm always hungry for such things, however I think I found my plate in UT2004 and BW since they are pulling new stuff and the modularity of the mod allows people to put new weapons every time and different times.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Blade hunter wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:55 amI think NW3 was a sort of pinacle achievement from the pack to be honest.
You only think that as you haven't tried NW4 yet.
ImageImageImageImage
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Well, since someone has resurrected the thread...I have to say it...once again...NW3!!! My favorite mod!!! :rock:
Sure, there a lots of really awesome UT mods around, lots, but...NW3!!! My favorite mod!!! :rock:
Blade hunter
Average

Post by Blade hunter »

Unless Feralidragon makes NW4 ... besides I think he might try an other pack with different concepts. but considering his short time probably he won't do much now.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Blade hunter wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:51 pm I think he might try an other pack with different concepts.
I don't mind. This should be interesting too. :mrgreen:
Blade hunter wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:51 pm but considering his short time probably he won't do much now.
I understand that. But...I think he is at least doing something for the NRMC, some sort of psychedelic Pink Floyd style stuff maybe? :shock: 8)
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Blade hunter wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:55 am I would love seeing something new as a new weapon pack as I'm always hungry for such things, however I think I found my plate in UT2004 and BW since they are pulling new stuff and the modularity of the mod allows people to put new weapons every time and different times.
NW3 offers exactly that, but nobody has noticed or taken advantage :noidea
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I wonder how many people are now clicking on this topic expecting a new version of the mod, when there's actually none...
I mean, I did an April Fools this year: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14496, but it was a one time thing. :lol2:

Since this subject came up again, I will say the following: I did eventually want to do a NW4-ish mod (and still do to an extent).
I have planned for it, I know pretty much what I want to do and how I want to do it, and I know I have the means and ability to do it, so although I got older in the meanwhile, I also matured my own skills to a large extent (especially in coding).

By "NW4-ish" I mean that the basic idea was to make something at "NW4-quality" (imagine another leap, like the one from NW2 to NW3, but now from NW3 to something else), but rather than creating specific weapons, my intention was to build a mod where you could build your own weapons in, mix and matching parts (NOT CoD style, I mean the weapon as a whole, but NOT like Minecraft or Lego either...), use your own loadouts in servers, share them with other players, and even creating your own parts, down to the very material and "atomic composition" of some of the stuff, and make it a more "physically-aware" mod, something where effects would be generated by what you effectively set up in these parts, and where they would effectively interact with other effects from other weapons.

If it sounds way too ambitious, it's because it really is very very ambitious, but as arrogant as it may sound, I honestly think I could pull it off.
Whether the community would like it in the end or not would be a different question altogether, especially if expectations are set too high. :lol2:

Because of its modularity at the end, then it could be used to create other weapon mods more easily, such as an actual "NW4", or even other mods like FF where designers like Paper wouldn't have to worry about code at all, and could build their own dream mod without having to worry about code or what works and what doesn't.

This is the ambition I had for years, and still have, and whether it's for UT99 or some other game or engine, I really want to give it a try someday.

Buuuuut..... it's very very unlikely I will ever actually be able to build something like it, because of the usual suspect: time, and also, to a large extent (to be sincere), motivation.
While I do development for a living, as much as I like doing it both as a job and in some of my free time, there's always a limit to the motivation in actually doing something, especially for a game that is not nearly as active as even a few years ago, so even if I did create this and it got to be a small success, I don't think there would be that many people at least trying it out, at least to the point that would justify the development itself.

The new patches are quite good and are a great source of motivation though, and solved a lot of problems that did make some players come back and rediscover the game, but besides its age it's a game that you still need to pay for instead of being free, and that limits who's even willing to give it a try, let alone trying new mods and such, especially with great free to play games like Apex Legends (which I personally play a LOT).

Maybe one day if I win the lottery or something I can free up enough time to justify in dedicating to stuff like this again :lol2: , otherwise I have bigger things to worry about and dedicate my time to.

So there you have it folks. :)

TankBeef wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:42 pm But...I think he is at least doing something for the NRMC, some sort of psychedelic Pink Floyd style stuff maybe? :shock: 8)
As for NRMC, I have actually decided to quit and I won't contribute with a map for the contest this time.
The package I was doing to be used in maps is currently on hold in terms of development as well, although I do intend to finish it someday.

The package took too long to develop (although I am quite happy with it), and so developing a good map within such a short time before the deadline would be very unlikely to pull off for me, it would just be a stressful experience rather than a pleasant one, and upon seeing a fair number of great maps for the contest I think that NRMC is already set for success regardless.

Plus, while I was developing this package, I put on hold a much more important project of mine I have been working for quite some years (part of which is already used in some important stuff), as a way to take a break from it as well, but now I really really have to work on it again if I ever want to finish it fully, to be able to then use it myself for some important stuff, so for the time being that's the only project I will actually work on.
Blade hunter
Average

Post by Blade hunter »

I'm wondering what is your workflow to implement models into UE1 ?
I tried to use later blender versions however I still can't do shit :(
I also tried milkshape but it was quite awful to use IMO although if it can be used to take my blender models to it then use it to create proper usable files...
A thing I would like to do is to put my models in either UE2.5 or UE1 I can only with UE2 - 3 still because I have the tools for that. However for UE1 while some people seemed to use weird tricks I was unable to replicate that.
So yeah I think that's a good thing to know as I would love to put models in games like UT99 and Deus Ex which are both my all time favorite games.
As for knowing about NW3's modularity I think it's not as appearant as BW, even if NW3 displays a lot of custom elements still.
Also the other thing is BW I have spent a whole lot of time making stuff that I know the workflow for it. I also helped in the mod UT2341 which is one of the other projects I worked on. So yeah if that stuff could be easily ported that would be fine because I remember someone ported a whole lot of stuff from UE2 to 1 until apparently he got banned from the BU forums ...
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

Feralidragon wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:25 pm As for NRMC, I have actually decided to quit and I won't contribute with a map for the contest this time.
The package I was doing to be used in maps is currently on hold in terms of development as well, although I do intend to finish it someday.
That's a bummer. I'm hoping to incorporate (particle, smoke) FX in my next map. I've been looking for an FX package but I don't know where to start — I see that you you wrote something called CSMXExtras — would that be suitable, and is there any documentation? Or is there something else you can recommend?
Feralidragon wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:25 pm Plus, while I was developing this package, I put on hold a much more important project of mine I have been working for quite some years (part of which is already used in some important stuff), as a way to take a break from it as well, but now I really really have to work on it again if I ever want to finish it fully, to be able to then use it myself for some important stuff, so for the time being that's the only project I will actually work on.
Best of luck, I hope it all works out!