XVehicles (Network play) (VCTF, VMH for UT99)

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!

How you play in XVehicles?

Multiplayer and local play
30%
Only Multiplayer
35%
Only local play
26%
Not play
9%

Total votes: 23

Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Re: X-Vehicles (Network play)

Post by Gustavo6046 »

How would you add tanks to a map that does not have them already in it? Doesn't adding them with the "mutate veh ..." mutator require admin privilege, meaning tanks would only exist (if at all) in the admin's side of the map, making games unfair?

(Even team games, but especially team games because then the admin could summon a lot of tanks and have them all used at the same time!)

And yay, a GitHub! I was waiting for you to make a repository so I could fork it :D
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

1) Buggie, a side project to the tanks and whatnot Ferali made was to be a flying vehicles one too. Now, while Ferali never finished that...
Feralidragon wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:38 amFlying vehicles are the easiest to do: simple physics, and no animation if you don't want to, and have been proven to work well in UT99 through popular mods such as Strangelove and Rocket-X (which originated from the former).
The same with hovering vehicles.
...any chance you might develop something along those lines?

2) In the original X-Vehicles you could run over players and monsters to kill them, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore. Was that on purpose?
Gustavo6046 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:42 amHow would you add tanks to a map that does not have them already in it?
Similar to editing a map with monsters on it, but a tad more tricky... but remarkably similar to WarCraft & Starcraft.

You need to place vehicle factories, and then assign what vehicle you want to spawn out of that factory.

I've done some edits of that for MH, planning on doing similar with a GINORMOUS UTDMT map I have as well soon.
Attachments
Shot0249.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:42 am How would you add tanks to a map that does not have them already in it? Doesn't adding them with the "mutate veh ..." mutator require admin privilege, meaning tanks would only exist (if at all) in the admin's side of the map, making games unfair?

(Even team games, but especially team games because then the admin could summon a lot of tanks and have them all used at the same time!)

And yay, a GitHub! I was waiting for you to make a repository so I could fork it :D
Summon via "mutate veh ..." work for any player and vehs visible for all players. But need proper setup on server for this.
It is more mutator for test vehs on some maps, not for production use.
EvilGrins wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:51 am Buggie, a side project to the tanks and whatnot Ferali made was to be a flying vehicles one too. Now, while Ferali never finished that...
I see some work for u2vehicles for Chopper based on heli Cybot nw3, and want integrate here. Maybe also add Manta from ut2004.
EvilGrins wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:51 am In the original X-Vehicles you could run over players and monsters to kill them, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore. Was that on purpose?
Must work. protection only for team game and same team. I check it later.
EvilGrins wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:51 am You need to place vehicle factories, and then assign what vehicle you want to spawn out of that factory.
For each vehicle exists ready to use factory. Not need set class to general factory - use specific factory instead.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Buggie wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:11 amMust work. protection only for team game and same team. I check it later.
Well, I can't run over and kill players on the other team... which is the issue.
Buggie wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:11 amMaybe also add Manta from ut2004.
There's an existing ut99 package for Onslaught vehicles, Ferali said he used it as a base to make the X-vehicles from.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/onslaught-for-ut99
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:12 am
Buggie wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:11 amMust work. protection only for team game and same team. I check it later.
Well, I can't run over and kill players on the other team... which is the issue.
Yes, that's a 436 thing - in 436 you can't run over and kill ScriptedPawns or other pawns, whilst in 469 you can - just tried with MonsterSpawn in both versions.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Talking about flying and hovering vehicles, I did make a vehicle mesh for a Skaarj hover tank, and I did create at the time a flying vehicle that would drop delayed rockets (a shower of rockets that fell, and only activated after a few seconds to go, I had fun with it).

The flying one I didn't really keep, it was mostly to do experiments with and have some fun on my own, whereas the Skaarj hover tank model is still in the original source files that I released, it's just not functional as a vehicle.
But the Skaarj tank model turned out quite ugly, so you're not really loosing anything of importance here. :lol2:
EvilGrins wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:12 am There's an existing ut99 package for Onslaught vehicles, Ferali said he used it as a base to make the X-vehicles from.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/onslaught-for-ut99
No, that's not what I used.
The X-Vehicles base is actually a vehicles mod Dots (.:..:, now Marco at OldUnreal discord) did at the time, what I did was to improve it, mostly on the physics side, and build my own models and vehicles overall.

I wouldn't ever use anything BlackCheetah made as base, he was enthusiastic but also one of the most terrible modders at the time for UT99, and those ONS mods are a stellar example of that.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:51 am You need to place vehicle factories, and then assign what vehicle you want to spawn out of that factory.
Nono, I meant outside the Editor. At that point the map does already have vehicles in it lol.

I was wondering why instances where handling vehicles to maps that weren't edited to have them, was even cogitated in the first place (when discussing the ServerPackages stuff). I suppose it's just in case someone tiries to do mutate veh stuff in a server? lol

Also, hey, I've seen that MH map before, I think! Or something like it, anyway. It was a really big one, and I remember using it to test some modded "saddles" on GiantMantas. I remember having a lot of fun in both that and Enslaved.
Buggie wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:11 am For each vehicle exists ready to use factory. Not need set class to general factory - use specific factory instead.
I think I actually prefer it being a generic class :P
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Choice is yours, ofc.
Specific vehicles show also collision size and mesh, instead of stub woodenbox.

Also because size proper - placed more properly on map.

Map is GardenOfDeath.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:41 amYes, that's a 436 thing - in 436 you can't run over and kill ScriptedPawns or other pawns, whilst in 469 you can
That's weird, as I used to be able to run over players on the other team with Ferali's initial release.
Feralidragon wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:29 pmNo, that's not what I used.
Whoops!
Buggie wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:03 pmMap is GardenOfDeath.
Indeed that one was, the tanks make that map so much fun, can run over the monsters by the dozens!

Speaking of which... way I see it, any map large enough for UTDMT should be large enough for X-Vehicles.

So, Buggie, take a look and if you see anything you like... have at it! https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/tag/utdmt
Spoiler
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Totally flat maps not fit. Vehs shoot at 65000 or more, so if map flat, one tank with Loque on turret, simply kill everyone in opposite team, exactly on respawn.

Automatically merged

Possible you not see what able do Loque on turret. It is rape respawn. He make 160 frags before 5 bots able kill tank. They mostly die without any shot. Only some able fire once.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Buggie wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:03 pm Specific vehicles show also collision size and mesh, instead of stub woodenbox.

Also because size proper - placed more properly on map.
Idea - what if you had a boolean property on a vehicle that, when set to True, has it replace itself with an equivalent Factory on BeginPlay? This way you don't have to write specific factory classes :D

Automatically merged

Buggie wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:03 pm Map is GardenOfDeath.
Oh. It wasn't that one, then.

I remember a big MH map that someone had posted here, it was open and outdoors and had many sections. I think it was WIP and didn't have pathing but I had made a pathed version. It wasn't Enslaved, though I did path that one too at some point (my pathing sucked lol)

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:22 amI remember a big MH map that someone had posted here, it was open and outdoors and had many sections.
Open, big, and outdoors? Was it...
· https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/120294.html
· https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/116266.html
· https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/102886.html
...one of those?
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Nope, neither of those. It had a lot of architecture in it, I think it was actually surrounded by it too. In retrospect the architecture tended to be a bit square.

Weapon of Destruction
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:22 am Idea - what if you had a boolean property on a vehicle that, when set to True, has it replace itself with an equivalent Factory on BeginPlay? This way you don't have to write specific factory classes :D
Idea - what if you just use specific classes? Instead make ado from nothing. :P
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Buggie wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:15 am Idea - what if you just use specific classes?
Using specific classes means having to create more classes (write more code) each time you want to make a new vehicle, which adds to the amount of effort required to expand the existing codebase, and simultaneously makes it less maintainable for each vehicle you add, as any change to a vehicle's properties must sometimes be reciprocated to its corresponding factory class.

Usually, this is the kind of dilemma that generic programming sets out to solve. Fortunately, we don't need generic programming in this case, thanks to the flexibility of UnrealScript's object-oriented system (and I'm saying this as a guy who dislikes OOP in general).

A suggestion you might like better, is a factory subclass, that instead simply has a property that is a reference to a Vehicle, and then on map load it destroys that vehicle and uses its location and type (and maybe other properties!) to act as if that vehicle were a factory position.

Weapon of Destruction