Monster Hunt 613

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
User avatar
Shrimp
Skilled
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:15 am
Location: Australia

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by Shrimp » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:46 am

OjitroC wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:39 pm
It looks like there is a bug in 611 - basically certain deaths add to rather than subtract from the number of lives a Player has - see this post 135683#p135681 and the replies for more info.
Thanks, will check. It's possible something broke with the refactoring to extensions, will try to get it cleaned up. :thuup:
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 20 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 2977
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by OjitroC » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:12 pm

Perhaps I haven't noticed it before but now, on completing a map, we sometimes have a star against our name - what's required to get a star?

User avatar
Shrimp
Skilled
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:15 am
Location: Australia

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by Shrimp » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:20 am

OjitroC wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:12 pm
Perhaps I haven't noticed it before but now, on completing a map, we sometimes have a star against our name - what's required to get a star?
It's supposed to be like a "survivor" or "MVP" type badge - if you survive the whole match without dying (with life limit enabled), you get the star on the scoreboard.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 20 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!

User avatar
Que
Masterful
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:49 am
Personal rank: ...

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by Que » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:35 am

So um.. all the Packages are the same names as older versions including Monsterhunt.u ?

This will cause mass mismatches across the board.

Should have renamed the new Monsterhunt.u to Monsterhunt611.u?

Also there's duplicate maps where they've been fixed? But conflict with older maps with same names.

Any ideas 💡
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our most popular mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds
Show
~Our Servers~

User avatar
Shrimp
Skilled
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:15 am
Location: Australia

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by Shrimp » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:29 am

Que wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:35 am
So um.. all the Packages are the same names as older versions including Monsterhunt.u ?
MH is not a mutator, there are actual assets and classes referenced in existing maps and potentially other mutators and mods, which would break and cause incompatibilities if `MonsterHunt.u` became `MonsterHunt611.u`. And unless you want a `611` version of every map, that's not going to work.

There have been some suggestions of breaking the packages up; but the contents of a legacy `MonsterHunt.u` would still remain incompatible with a new package, since that package references stuff within itself which would not work with a new package.

There are honestly enough custom and variant builds and rebuilds of Monster Hunt out there already in circulation on servers and things that I see this as irrelevant, look at this as just another one of those. People with servers running MH can continue to do their own versions, there's no need to upgrade if they don't care about any of the new features or modes. It's been working fine for 20 years for them as-is, and new servers may certainly make use of the new versions if they so wish.

As for the maps, in my experience, nobody actually plays the standard maps on servers, so that's mostly a non-issue as well. They get played offline where it doesn't matter, and releasing `MH-Canyon-600.unr`, ..., `MH-Canyon-610.unr`, and `MH-Canyon-611.unr` etc isn't really going to help the issue of infinite duplicate variant maps which already exist in the community. Similarly Epic did not release a newly named version of every package and map with new patches.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 20 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!

User avatar
Neon_Knight
Adept
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:31 pm
Location: Junín (BA - Argentina)

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by Neon_Knight » Tue May 24, 2022 4:28 pm

Shrimp! Question!

What could be your top picks for a Monster Hunt mappack? Heh!
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.

Dennis
Average
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:18 pm

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by Dennis » Wed May 25, 2022 5:25 pm

Shrimp wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:29 am
Que wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:35 am
So um.. all the Packages are the same names as older versions including Monsterhunt.u ?
MH is not a mutator, there are actual assets and classes referenced in existing maps and potentially other mutators and mods, which would break and cause incompatibilities if `MonsterHunt.u` became `MonsterHunt611.u`. And unless you want a `611` version of every map, that's not going to work.

There have been some suggestions of breaking the packages up; but the contents of a legacy `MonsterHunt.u` would still remain incompatible with a new package, since that package references stuff within itself which would not work with a new package.

There are honestly enough custom and variant builds and rebuilds of Monster Hunt out there already in circulation on servers and things that I see this as irrelevant, look at this as just another one of those. People with servers running MH can continue to do their own versions, there's no need to upgrade if they don't care about any of the new features or modes. It's been working fine for 20 years for them as-is, and new servers may certainly make use of the new versions if they so wish.

As for the maps, in my experience, nobody actually plays the standard maps on servers, so that's mostly a non-issue as well. They get played offline where it doesn't matter, and releasing `MH-Canyon-600.unr`, ..., `MH-Canyon-610.unr`, and `MH-Canyon-611.unr` etc isn't really going to help the issue of infinite duplicate variant maps which already exist in the community. Similarly Epic did not release a newly named version of every package and map with new patches.
What? You are creating serious version mismatch this way. Players use cache cleaner and if mappers build maps using new features from the same package name those maps won't be backwards compatible with the original monsterhunt.u file. Please stop this nonsence! All the custom versions you are refering to are all renamed into different names and support the original monsterhunt.u backwards by subclassing it and fixing the bugs and making changes that way. That is the only way to do it properly!
Fraggers hangout place: http://fraggers.online/

User avatar
Neon_Knight
Adept
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:31 pm
Location: Junín (BA - Argentina)

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by Neon_Knight » Wed May 25, 2022 6:07 pm

Dennis wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 5:25 pm
Shrimp wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:29 am
Que wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:35 am
So um.. all the Packages are the same names as older versions including Monsterhunt.u ?
MH is not a mutator, there are actual assets and classes referenced in existing maps and potentially other mutators and mods, which would break and cause incompatibilities if `MonsterHunt.u` became `MonsterHunt611.u`. And unless you want a `611` version of every map, that's not going to work.

There have been some suggestions of breaking the packages up; but the contents of a legacy `MonsterHunt.u` would still remain incompatible with a new package, since that package references stuff within itself which would not work with a new package.

There are honestly enough custom and variant builds and rebuilds of Monster Hunt out there already in circulation on servers and things that I see this as irrelevant, look at this as just another one of those. People with servers running MH can continue to do their own versions, there's no need to upgrade if they don't care about any of the new features or modes. It's been working fine for 20 years for them as-is, and new servers may certainly make use of the new versions if they so wish.

As for the maps, in my experience, nobody actually plays the standard maps on servers, so that's mostly a non-issue as well. They get played offline where it doesn't matter, and releasing `MH-Canyon-600.unr`, ..., `MH-Canyon-610.unr`, and `MH-Canyon-611.unr` etc isn't really going to help the issue of infinite duplicate variant maps which already exist in the community. Similarly Epic did not release a newly named version of every package and map with new patches.
What? You are creating serious version mismatch this way. Players use cache cleaner and if mappers build maps using new features from the same package name those maps won't be backwards compatible with the original monsterhunt.u file. Please stop this nonsence! All the custom versions you are refering to are all renamed into different names and support the original monsterhunt.u backwards by subclassing it and fixing the bugs and making changes that way. That is the only way to do it properly!
UT99 v469 comes with a feature to solve the mismatch problem. If there are different versions of the same file between server and client, the server version is downloaded.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.

Letylove49
Experienced
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:47 pm
Personal rank: <[MHA]>Admin
Location: suisse

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by Letylove49 » Wed May 25, 2022 7:03 pm

what is the EST File ????
<[MHA]>Letylove49 aka Shado170

User avatar
Neon_Knight
Adept
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:31 pm
Location: Junín (BA - Argentina)

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by Neon_Knight » Wed May 25, 2022 8:13 pm

Letylove49 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:03 pm
what is the EST File ????
Spanish localization.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.

Dennis
Average
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:18 pm

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by Dennis » Wed May 25, 2022 9:42 pm

Neon_Knight wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:07 pm
UT99 v469 comes with a feature to solve the mismatch problem. If there are different versions of the same file between server and client, the server version is downloaded.
So, Shrimp and you gets to decide that its time to abandon clients that do not run v469?

Also, how does this fix backwards compatibility if a mapper uses the new version making the map dependant on this and then a server admin put that map on a server running the original monsterhunt.u? Can a server running v469 switch fileversion depending on what version each map requires? If not - STOP!
Fraggers hangout place: http://fraggers.online/

User avatar
Neon_Knight
Adept
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:31 pm
Location: Junín (BA - Argentina)

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by Neon_Knight » Wed May 25, 2022 11:02 pm

Dennis wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:42 pm
Neon_Knight wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:07 pm
UT99 v469 comes with a feature to solve the mismatch problem. If there are different versions of the same file between server and client, the server version is downloaded.
So, Shrimp and you gets to decide that its time to abandon clients that do not run v469?

Also, how does this fix backwards compatibility if a mapper uses the new version making the map dependant on this and then a server admin put that map on a server running the original monsterhunt.u? Can a server running v469 switch fileversion depending on what version each map requires? If not - STOP!
First of all I am NOT a dev of MH. Second of all, chill down!
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.

User avatar
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Posts: 2678
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 am
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko
Location: Kaunas, Lithuania

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by UnrealGGecko » Thu May 26, 2022 10:57 am

Dennis wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:42 pm
Neon_Knight wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:07 pm
UT99 v469 comes with a feature to solve the mismatch problem. If there are different versions of the same file between server and client, the server version is downloaded.
So, Shrimp and you gets to decide that its time to abandon clients that do not run v469?

Also, how does this fix backwards compatibility if a mapper uses the new version making the map dependant on this and then a server admin put that map on a server running the original monsterhunt.u? Can a server running v469 switch fileversion depending on what version each map requires? If not - STOP!
First of all, that question was already answered, couldve read the thread a little bit instead of choosing to go ham:
viewtopic.php?p=133470#p133470

Second of all, CHILL!

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 5871
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by sektor2111 » Thu May 26, 2022 12:07 pm

UnrealGGecko wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:57 am
Second of all, CHILL!
Wrong answer... The right answer might be a little bit OFF-Topic, for this reason I have to ask apology in advance.
What a Player should know when it goes to play ON-LINE.
- you don't need to install mods concerning servers - it's a bad practice heading to mismatch errors pain - MonsterHunt is not an exception;
- for fast connecting as MH regular player or whatever you can adjust settings as explained X times in forum:
#1 - never purge cache files - UXX content - adjust settings from "UT.INI" file;
#2 - from time to time set all UXX cache files read-only.
Info: Cache files are NEVER DOING any mismatch because they do have different names. I can play MonsterHunt in any server because I do not have any file called MonsterHunt.u in my client - everything is cached. Even I have Cache Folder hosted on a different physical drive preventing more track seeking on older HardDisk drives and speeding up connecting/loading files without to make the same drive to sound like rats.
- You can install a more advanced console capable to operate messages records and all sort of features;
- If want to play complex maps with a bunch of Textures you might want to forget any "HD" stuff - it might full fill memory for an old application like UT'99;
- a fresh stock install needs a bit of settings concerning network - stock game is ready for Dial-Up connections which are very weak for now days.

The rest: I do not install any updated MH - I'm already using what I did (an expanded MH with functions replacements and keeping original 503 file as a base) and maps following initial rules concerning Bot activity and without "Pawns". Whoever is using a "very updated" MonsterHunt and not very player-friendly, he/she can keep it for others - don't expect my presence over there. By any matter you can fire your own server without advertising it and there you can define your own rules and maps without headaches.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Thu May 26, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis
Average
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:18 pm

Re: Monster Hunt 611

Post by Dennis » Thu May 26, 2022 12:50 pm

UnrealGGecko wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:57 am
Dennis wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:42 pm
Neon_Knight wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:07 pm
UT99 v469 comes with a feature to solve the mismatch problem. If there are different versions of the same file between server and client, the server version is downloaded.
So, Shrimp and you gets to decide that its time to abandon clients that do not run v469?

Also, how does this fix backwards compatibility if a mapper uses the new version making the map dependant on this and then a server admin put that map on a server running the original monsterhunt.u? Can a server running v469 switch fileversion depending on what version each map requires? If not - STOP!
First of all, that question was already answered, couldve read the thread a little bit instead of choosing to go ham:
viewtopic.php?p=133470#p133470

Second of all, CHILL!
OMG! I thought you as admin cared about this game? aparently not you just chill. Shrimp made mh503 and gave us monsterhunt.u full of flaws. Coders fixed all the flaws by subclassing the monsterhunt.u's classes - only to avoid version mismathches, that was the ONLY way to make projects backwards compatible. Now the author is back, creating a new version using the same filename causing version mismach, a mismatch every single coder has been avoiding for 20 years. Mention it, and you get told to just chill?

Backwards compatibility if used by mapper is not adressed at the link your chillness gave me?

It doesn't matter what all of you say we "should" or "should not" do, what matters is WHAT players do, and they use cache cleaner, and they download maps from sources where the monsterhunt.u file is included in the zip file.

So go ahead and ban me your chillness.
Last edited by Dennis on Thu May 26, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraggers hangout place: http://fraggers.online/