Any weapon tutorials out there?

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
LucienRavenwood
Novice
Personal rank: StuffSwapper

Any weapon tutorials out there?

Post by LucienRavenwood »

...I'm absolutely clueless. :loool:
I want to start working right away on a mod I've dreamed up. It focuses on real world weapons across time, from modern firearms to everyday appliances and tools (staple guns, hammers), to medieval hand cannons, to japanese melee (katana, kama, naginata), to elephant guns and armor piercing rifles, to anti-personnel and tank mines, to frag, concussion, incendiary, napalm, stun grenades and nailbombs, to old west revolvers and rifles. Jesus christ... what am I getting into?
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Re: Any weapon tutorials out there?

Post by TheDane »

omg, if you don't have knowledge on how to make custom weapons you should not start with such huge project, the outcome would not be good, and if it's your dream mod you should wait making it untill you achieve some scripting skills :)

The best way to start is actualy just to edit the default weapons by subclassing say the flakcannon, then make the changes you want and see what effect it has, then move on and subclass the ammo class for the weapons, then after that try change the meshes of the weapon and the skin. When mastering this you need to learn a good 3D program and create the meshes for your custom weapons.

You actualy don't need much of tutorials, all the code you need to look at is in the original scripts already, and the function names are made so you have little doubt what they do (mostly).
Retired.
LucienRavenwood
Novice
Personal rank: StuffSwapper

Post by LucienRavenwood »

I've actually tried editing Tactical Ops weapons, attempting to give them a regular ammo system so they can be used in UT. But when I thought I had it figured out, the result was nothing! :ironic2: Just can't figure out mods that use separate apps... the vicious bastards.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

I've never opened the TO mod and looked at the code, but I do know it comes with a custom version of the botpack.u , I am guessing here, but maybe they made up a whole bunch of unique functions and their weapons are calling those function, so when you try run them in UT these functions are missing or changed in a way that makes your weapons not functioning.

Work from the bottom with something you know works as supposed and then change it into something you think is way better :)
Retired.
zacman
Adept
Personal rank: M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Post by zacman »

The best weapons to start playing around with are the Stinger, Dispersion Pistol, Alt fire ASMD and Shock Rifle, Ripper, and Alt fire pulse gun. These can be Projectile changed without any scripting. Once you've got changing weapons via Default Properties, try something harder, like changing the alt fire of the RTNP CAR Rifle (Need Upak) and then work your way up to more complex changes. The UnrealEd Reference Guide is good for tutorials. (I disagree with TheDane here-I think tutorials are very good for learning)
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198048595886]Image[/url]
R4tchet1996
Novice
Personal rank: Person i think

Post by R4tchet1996 »

Can anyone give me a really basic tutorial on making custom weapons (I dont know anything about scripting) Because the one that is here doset make sense to me and google dosent give me anything thanks
gopostal

Post by gopostal »

You should take a look around the development forum in my sig. I have some beginner tutorials posted, as well as a package of tools you'll need. Feel free to ask any questions you like, nothing is too basic or silly.
R4tchet1996
Novice
Personal rank: Person i think

Post by R4tchet1996 »

Thanks for the link it helped heaps but theres two things i couldnt do i couldnt regester because it said my email was banned and in one of your tuts you said that the next tut was how to make custom weapons but i couldnt find it can you give me the link to that thread thanks
Darkness
Experienced

Post by Darkness »

zacman wrote:The best weapons to start playing around with are the Stinger, Dispersion Pistol, Alt fire ASMD and Shock Rifle, Ripper, and Alt fire pulse gun. These can be Projectile changed without any scripting. Once you've got changing weapons via Default Properties, try something harder, like changing the alt fire of the RTNP CAR Rifle (Need Upak) and then work your way up to more complex changes. The UnrealEd Reference Guide is good for tutorials. (I disagree with TheDane here-I think tutorials are very good for learning)
That's exactly how I've started :tongue: indeed it's a great way.

Just subclass already existing weapons, change their properties first, see how it affects the game by summoning the weapon manually in-game... then you may create new projectiles, crossing functions from already existing ones, and that's it. It may take a while if you have never scripted before, but it's worth it (an fun, at least it was, and still is, for me).

There're many scripts that have many comments inside too, and that provides great information regarding what everything is. Just BEWARE of the replication devil :satan: the worst part of scripting to UT, and I'd recommend getting some extensive experience before starting a mod for real, otherwise it'll hardly work properly for client-players, unless you test it a lot thought trial-and-error (that's how I've started doing my current mod, although by doing that I'm having great clue regarding how clients and server read the script lines even without testing, after almost a month).

A few things I suggest when doing this...

- after creating projectiles or weapons, create a new .txt file at the system folder containing the summon lines for weapons (since you probably won't create a mutator when beggining, just the weapons/projectiles).
- open user.ini and bind a key that you don't use as "exec whateveryourtextfilenameis.txt" so you can use it in-game quickly, without having to type.
- binding keys to "slomo 1", "slomo", "behindviewplayer 1", "behindviewplayer 0" and "playersonly" helps too, to test out damage areas, projectiles animations, speeds and so on. Slomo is great for testing precise ticks.
- always read the .log file for clues on "accessed nones" and other stuffs.
- read tutorials and beyondunreal wiki for more information.
- make shortcuts to start the game faster, speeding up the testing proccess.

Examples:
...\UnrealTournament.exe DM-Agony.unr?Game=BotPack.DeathMatchPlus will start a deathmatch at Agony.
...\UnrealTournament.exe DM-Agony.unr?Game=BotPack.DeathMatchPlus?Listen -server log=Server.log will start a dedicated server, of the same type.
...\UnrealTournament.exe 127.0.0.1 will join the dedicated server you create. (last ones are needed when you're going to see how the weapon/projectile behave in multiplayer. Believe, it probably won't work properly at first, unless you have subclassed something and haven't changed many things :mrgreen:

Anyway, you should start one (or more!) smaller project(s) first to gather some experience, otherwise you'll end up very frustrated.

Making the weapons you want mostly depends on modeling AND skinning as well, besides scripting, so you'd need more skills or more people to help you, definitely.
SandBox00
Novice

Post by SandBox00 »

I was trying out how and where do you change the weapons scripts also what programms are you gone need to use to just change a weapons default text?