512x512 texture for deco

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
KingJosh
Skilled

512x512 texture for deco

Post by KingJosh »

if i made a deco pack with meshmakers and all the decos use 512x512 and i add all the decos to a map what would there be a chance of error. because most decos i see are all 256x256, i assume there is a reason for that.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: 512x512 texture for deco

Post by Creavion »

KingJosh wrote:if i made a deco pack with meshmakers and all the decos use 512x512 and i add all the decos to a map what would there be a chance of error. because most decos i see are all 256x256, i assume there is a reason for that.
Reason 1: The default D3D mode can only display textures of max 256 x 256.
Reason 2: Although bigger textures would be just scaled down ingame the UVs of VertexMeshes are very limited and are uhm between 0 and 1 or something like that. The bigger the texture as skin for a mesh the bigger the "chance" that it looks "misaligned", even with 256x256 textures Ferali stated recently there are slightly misalignments on the basis from the engine. With 512² those differences are supposed to be even bigger and so on.

But maybe Ferali should explain this more in detail in case I forgot something.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: 512x512 texture for deco

Post by Feralidragon »

Creavion wrote:
KingJosh wrote:if i made a deco pack with meshmakers and all the decos use 512x512 and i add all the decos to a map what would there be a chance of error. because most decos i see are all 256x256, i assume there is a reason for that.
Reason 1: The default D3D mode can only display textures of max 256 x 256.
Reason 2: Although bigger textures would be just scaled down ingame the UVs of VertexMeshes are very limited and are uhm between 0 and 1 or something like that. The bigger the texture as skin for a mesh the bigger the "chance" that it looks "misaligned", even with 256x256 textures Ferali stated recently there are slightly misalignments on the basis from the engine. With 512² those differences are supposed to be even bigger and so on.

But maybe Ferali should explain this more in detail in case I forgot something.
What Creavion said above :tu:

Just have to add that the misalignments in 512x512 might occur until 3 pixels of offset, while in 256x256 is something weird like 1.5pixels (yeah, 1 and half of pixel lol, if that's even possible).

Also, Epic never used anything beyond 256x256 for meshes since back then there was barelly a card with enough memory even of sustain these anyway.
My own experience nowadays say that you can use as maximum:
- 256x256 non mipmapped;
- 512x512 with mipmaps ONLY (without mipmaps it's certain to crash many renderers).

Personally, I try to use the lowest resolution possible (mostly because of the filesize, which is 4 times bigger from one resolution to another), however I personally use 512x512 for everything I want to look detailed enough at close range like my weapons, or for big models like my vehicles, for everything else I always try to use 256x256 or even less, while keeping the amount of detail desired.

And regarding importing itself, NEVER use FLAGS=2, NEVER. The skins will look quite bad (this is why NW2 doesn't look better for instance, I made a experiment by just adding LODSET=2 and without FLAGS=2, the skins looked unbelievably better, that's why this is the new way I am importing in NW3). Just saying this because generally exporting model programs have tendency to create directives with FLAGS=2 and other garbage stuff.
For any skins import, use this:

Code: Select all

#exec TEXTURE IMPORT NAME=Sk_WRE_01 FILE=SKINS\Sk_WRE_01.bmp GROUP=Skins LODSET=2
BE SURE TO:
- Have LODSET=2 (Skin quality)
- NOT have FLAGS=2 (this screws up a bit of the model)
- Use MIPMAPS=OFF ONLY IN textures 256x256 or below.

I hope I didn't miss any vital info.