MonsterHunt2 Gold

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: MonsterHunt2 Gold

Post by JackGriffin »

Very nice! You'll have to show me sometime how you make it so it scales so cleanly.

Once you are happy with it let me know and I'll add it into the development news stuff and on ModDB.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:Very nice! You'll have to show me sometime how you make it so it scales so cleanly.
I'm an professional Illustrator ...it's my occupation.
the scaling works pretty well if you use vector-masks and even numbers.
Once you are happy with it let me know and I'll add it into the development news stuff and on ModDB.
How big do you need it?
... or do you use Photoshop? If yes, I can send you the PSD file.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Yep, I thought I used photoshop but now I see I'm not really :lol:

Have you any ideas on the scoreboard tile? No rush, it's gonna be a while. I'm still sorting error lines in the submitted logs.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

you mean the metal plate where the players and there scores appear?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

That and the header too. The header is some of my very best worst work. Again, this is not time sensitive at all. It will be a bit before I've gotten anywhere to need it. No coders are interested so primary coding will all be done by me and that will take time. Feel free to think about it for as much time as you need. Oh, and of course I can alter the HUD text to accommodate your choice of colors. Font size is about the only thing that is locked, since it needs to scale to pretty low resolutions.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Great Logo - now that's an artist :rock:
Looks to me like that human is about to meet his maker - maybe he should be on top!!

Question - will the existing MH maps work properly with this mod?
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I must say that logo is superb, really top notch work. :tu:
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

FraGnBraG wrote: Question - will the existing MH maps work properly with this mod?
Yes. It just cannot be any other way because usefulness depends a great deal on having maps to play. This is the crux of why there is so much work with this mod. There are some strict parameters that must be followed so making what I want to make can be very challenging.

BTW this mod will list in the default MH tab even though it is essentially a new gametype that works with existing MH maps.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

THANKS TO ALL!!!
FraGnBraG wrote:Looks to me like that human is about to meet his maker - maybe he should be on top!!
He was surprised by the Skaarj but fight back in akimbo style.
I think this logo symbolize really good that the enemy is not a sitting duck and will be a tough opponent.

It would be some how so cool if some one would make a fan based rework of the characters ...with a slightly increased amount of polygons.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

you mean those player thingies at the end? Or the original characters or monsters in UT?
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Well... I mean the monsters in unreal... also the player models.
if you see how detailed some custom maps in unreal are ... the monsters are still blocky beyond recognition.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Well... agreed... maybe some of us can give it a try... but it will be hard i think...
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Meindratheal
Average

Post by Meindratheal »

Slightly off topic, what's the differene between the original MonsterHunt (the obfuscated one) and this one? I have looked at the original code (I know, it's unethical but I was interested), and I've worked with it a little, trying to fix a few things. If the code is similar, I may be able to help a little.
I warn you though, I am nowhere near brilliant at coding stuff, but I have released a few bits and bobs.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

That's always been a real desire of mine, but something that is hugely work intensive. Monsters could be *incredibly* powerful and multi-faceted if the base code for them was bot and not scriptedpawn. Epic just never intended for them to be what they have evolved into and the code shows that in so many ways.

If this is something you'd seriously consider and you would do improved animations, mesh, skins, etc let's go all out and rescript them too. I have the base class nearly done from a while back. It would be a bug undertaking but oh my God what you could do...

Want an example? If you play MH I'll give you two: In LostVoyage (the steamship map) the red skeletal monsters near the end are from 7Bullets. That's well written code and tough monsters. There is also the Christmas map from Vatcilli where you must fight "John" at the end to save Christmas. You know how tough he is? He can fight and move, everything you'd want in a real opponent. His code is pretty much bot code base.

Anyways, my apologies. I get a little excited about working with the monsters as so few really care about improving them. Most put way more emphasis on the map and almost none on the monsters. Never could figure that out either.

@Meindratheal: at the last when I was working on 2v1 to 2v3 I did strip some code but only to keep it from getting out until it was done. Certain ideas like player stats and country name in scoreboard took time to get working right together. There was a few months there where I did serious work but HAD to server test with players to update the results. The MHv2 release is the end product. If you know me at all you know I release my source with everything and I encourage it's use by anyone. The only code I will strip and not release is something original done for someone in particular, for example the seeking redeemer that Meat's Redeemer Screamer uses (nod to Ferali here for the help with that weapon :rock: ). If you'd like to throw in I'd gladly take it. This is a pretty involved project but nothing you couldn't work in since the mod is very modular. I'm a hack coder for sure and I do OK :ironic:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ok ... I thought only me wished an improvement of the monsters ... wow. :shock:

I can try some Skaarj artworks ...and can texture them.
I want them more agile looking ...not so bulky as I see them in other unreal games.
More like the Predator... even the Skaarj-hybrid in UT looks more like a fighter than the Skaarj in Unreal2.