UT S3TC / DecayedS

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
ermonski

UT S3TC / DecayedS

Post by ermonski »

Hi, I'm a long time UT99 player but a newbie to this forum.

I've been looking for ways to mod my UT99 to look better. I saw S3TC and DecayedS textures online but unfortunately the links of all the sites are broken. Will I be able to download it thru a packaged zip file?

thanks and more power to the UT community!
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: UT S3TC / DecayedS

Post by Creavion »

http://uttexture.com/

official site by DieHard
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

tautological... :|
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

If you install these Diehard textures you'll be limited to servers where the textures have been 'fixed' from a standard UT server installation or you will find yourself unable to move, fire, etc. You guys ought to explain this when you reference the package so people fully understand what they are getting into.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

If you want your ut to look better, try the Tweak Your UT Graphics To The Maximum!, you can see it on the top of this site.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

JackGriffin wrote:If you install these Diehard textures you'll be limited to servers where the textures have been 'fixed' from a standard UT server installation or you will find yourself unable to move, fire, etc. You guys ought to explain this when you reference the package so people fully understand what they are getting into.
That is not anymore the case, these problems have been fixed in the latest S3TC releases. But you shouldn't host a server with S3TC packages on.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I'm not looking to start a fight over this (you know how I feel about this whole retexturing project) but Diehard still has the skating player warnings listed and the server-forced changes to the texture packs listed as being absolutely required. Are you saying this is fixed now?
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

JackGriffin wrote:I'm not looking to start a fight over this (you know how I feel about this whole retexturing project) but Diehard still has the skating player warnings listed and the server-forced changes to the texture packs listed as being absolutely required. Are you saying this is fixed now?
I am not wanting to start a fight over it either, it is your decision and I only use S3TC at UT and not at Unreal and I understand your viewpoint, in fact I didn't use diehard's S3TC until lately.

I can confirm it was fixed yes (with the servers where skating or being stuck occured for me previously it suddenly was gone), the warning is there for the original unchanged texture packs from UT second CD. The warnings are meant to note that it is not meant to run it with a server, only as client, the same counts for the dedicated server packages though with the black blank textures, for server only use only it is conformed, but it might cause skating bugs as well etc etc. And of course it also depends on how the server is being handled and ran too. I ran a server without S3TC and joined with second CD S3TC stuff and never had the skating bugs neither did 3 for example, when I ran coop server during 2006. But I did have it on quite few MH servers, some not though.

I owe a lot to diehard though, but that doesn't mean I will flame you over this, so I don't know why the negative tone.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Not a negative tone at all Leo. I'm just one of the more outspoken critics of UTRP and I didn't want a request for clarification to seem like in indictment of your position. To me the skating player thing is just unacceptable and must be fixed via the project itself and not by compelling admins to alter their servers to suit what the player has decided to install on their end. If this hurdle had been crossed I was going to hop on board the UTRP train myself.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Well, but as I said the issue has been fixed now and there is even a fixed version of the original CD packs now too, without the skating glitch appearing. Really since I used the new ones, I had no skating glitches appearing to me anywhere anymore.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Well that makes me quite happy to see! Thanks so much for this, I'm going to have to give it a test drive.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Hm no skating player model ?...but still if you want to map in UT you have to use another UT install on your HDD ...right?
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

papercoffee wrote:Hm no skating player model ?...but still if you want to map in UT you have to use another UT install on your HDD ...right?
Yes, however since 227g, this does not apply for Unreal anymore.
But you don`t really want to install these? :confused2:
In your case it would not make ANY sense since you would have to lower the graphics settings after that anyway, since your lack of a real graphics card in your pc. Moreover I think with S3TC textures UT COULD demand a little bit more from your pc`s VRAM than ut2004 (but I am not sure about this, since I only compare right now pure textures, no shaders or anything, so I can only guess). But if you want to follow your "hope dies last" way of life, just try out, but don`t wonder about a shitty performance at the end. :mrgreen:
No, seriously, forget about it. It also needs plenty of disk space. You better don`t underestimate that. If you download and extract these packages you will see what I mean.

BTW: I know there are different quality level packs for each texture pack, but if you pickup too low quality ones... you can better forget about this anyway. Low quality highres textures. :ironic2:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Creavion wrote:Low quality highres textures. :ironic2:
Sounds like ... healthy burger or trustworthy politicians... :mrgreen: